IGNORED

Best Airline coming from US

bangkokjoe

What is the most recommended airline going to BKK?

China Air seems to be the cheapest.

Thanks...

I always fly Thai - nonstop + great service

I prefer ANA due to the star alliance grouping. Since they are associated with United, you will get FF miles fast. Worth it IMO. Not the cheapest though.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I work for the Night Wish group and The Pattaya News in Pattaya, Thailand. I run monthly meetups and bar crawls.. I also run the weekly Newbie Wednesday meetup sessions at Sexy in the City on Soi 6. Sexy in the City is located across from Queen Victoria Inn. 

I also prefer Thai, but it's primarily because they are the only non-stop into BKK (from LAX, which is 15 minutes from me)

Thai is also Star Alliance.

I have heard EXCELLENT things about Cathay, and, when my United/Continental/US Air stash of miles is exhausted, I plan to use American miles through One World to fly them.

I use Korean air,top service hot flight attendants.Any non american airline is better.I don't want to spend 12 hours looking a middle aged hags.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/63843-review-of-korean-airlines/page__p__999560#entry999560

Edited by PattayaFanatic

If you are looking for low price, China Air or Eva Air are the lowest but you'll have to make a connecting flight in Taipei. And for some strange reason all my flights out of LAX land me in BKK around midnight.

If you are coming from the east coast I think that Korean is the best followed by ANA. I use to live in Washington D.C. and preferred Korean. As someone said above great service and smoking hot flight attendants. I also liked the 50 minute layover for the connecting flight to BBK. If I lived in L.A, I would take Thai. I hate long haul flights on American carriers!

Matter of preference. Thai NS from LAX, great service, but requires sitting on your ass for 17 hours in the most uncomfortable seats in the air. I've flown 85 RT's on UA in the last 13 years to and from SFO-BKK. One issue in 340 legs. Always on time, no issues, nice break-up of a long trip with stop in Narita, time for email, skype calls, a few drinks and a shower. This trip back last month, my Narita to BKK leg was cancelled (crew issue), UA rerouted me SFO to LAX, waited 8 hours to sit for 17 hours in afore mentioned Thai Airways seats. I was flying on miles, no questions asked, UA covered me.

Instead of looking at and worrying about the "hags" I suggest you look at all your beautiful thai girls on your computer that you will be seeing shortly, and catch some sweet dreams! BTW, you can thank the Unions for that, not UA! And anyway, they are there for "your safety and comfort", not your viewing pleasure. This changed in the US about 25 years ago. When making this trip I just try to put myself, and my mind, in a state of suspended animation, deep meditation, basically ignore all around me. A serious state of mai pen rai, sabia, sabai. I arrive mentally fesh, ready to hit WS at 2AM then go to work same AM. I'll also add that Thai is about 15-20% more expensive than UA. You have to shop UA, be fleixable on dates, I average about $1200 RT.

Instead of looking at and worrying about the "hags" I suggest you look at all your beautiful thai girls on your computer that you will be seeing shortly, and catch some sweet dreams! BTW, you can thank the Unions for that, not UA! And anyway, they are there for "your safety and comfort", not your viewing pleasure. This changed in the US about 25 years ago. When making this trip I just try to put myself, and my mind, in a state of suspended animation, deep meditation, basically ignore all around me. A serious state of mai pen rai, sabia, sabai. I arrive mentally fesh, ready to hit WS at 2AM then go to work same AM. I'll also add that Thai is about 15-20% more expensive than UA. You have to shop UA, be fleixable on dates, I average about $1200 RT.

Korean is also usually the cheapest,so why not enjoy beautiful FAs and better service for less money.

Your going to be on the plane for forty-fucking-forevers coming from the US. So for me, it's all about the seat. Eva Deluxe-Elite furnishes about my minimum space requirement. Check out Seat Guru 1st and get yourself a good one. I don't know if any airline still has Econ upstairs on the 747s anymore, but (if they do) the window seats up there give you a lot of extra room. There's a foot wide bin by the window you can lean over on. wj

Edited by wackyjacky

I have flown EVA, China and Philippines. All about the same. China miles are credited to your Delta account. The draw back that keeps me from flying a US based airline is the arrival and departure time in BKK.

PB#1

I have flown EVA, China and Philippines. All about the same. China miles are credited to your Delta account. The draw back that keeps me from flying a US based airline is the arrival and departure time in BKK.

PB#1

You forgot the other draw back - they all suck ! Do yourself a favor and go to the Eva website. Find HOT-E-FARES. Buy yourself something in Deluxe-Elite. If you're lucky, it'll cost you about the same as other's Coach. Otherwise it's still worth the extra $$. Check out Thai Economy Deluxe too. 25 hrs in an Econ seat is fucking brutal ! wj

I have researched them all and Delta is the best. Most flights are about 24 hours total with small layovers (2 hours max). The upside is that it is fast and its cheaper than the rest. The downside is that it is Delta and the food sucks and the planes feel like old Delta planes. It also sucks that you can only get in at 11pm so by the time you get to Patts you are wide awake at 1am. I guess if you hurry you can go out and get a girl.

Thai airways is still my favorite airline. The economy comfort seats are amazing the food is REALLY good and the attendants are HOT!!!! Very hot actually. Even the colors of the plane are nice. Makes you feel like you are on vacation already. Regrettably they dont fly of NY anymore. I am an east coast guy and for me to get them I have to fly to LA and grab that flight. Makes my trip, with layover 31 hours. But I get there at 7am and I am fresh and ready to start. The other befit is that it is straight through to BKK from LA. 17 hour shot.

For me though, its Delta right now. I have the frequent flyer card and I am racking up miles. Its a good things, even though I hate that flight.

I have researched them all and Delta is the best. Most flights are about 24 hours total with small layovers (2 hours max). The upside is that it is fast and its cheaper than the rest. The downside is that it is Delta and the food sucks and the planes feel like old Delta planes. It also sucks that you can only get in at 11pm so by the time you get to Patts you are wide awake at 1am. I guess if you hurry you can go out and get a girl.

To clarify, are you saying that Delta has the best rates/flight times from your area? If so, that makes sense.

I think the "best" carriers in the World are non-U.S.-based carriers, as evidenced in the "Passenger Choice" awards from this year, which ranked top 10 as:

1. Qatar Airways

2. Singapore Airlines

3. Asiana Airlines

4. Cathay Pacific Airways

5. Thai Airways International

6. Etihad Airways

7. Air New Zealand

8. Qantas Airways (I assume this this was pre-labor issues)

9. Turkish Airlines

10. Emirates

I have heard nothing but amazing things about Singapore Airlines. Hope to fly them one day!

The flights that I am finding in Feb are $967 Air China, $1002 EVA, $1076 Emirates, $1090 Asiana, $1094 Korean Air. Which fight would you pick?

Korean because I have a bunch of FF miles with them (it response to bangkokjoe's question ^)

Edited by altec123

The flights that I am finding in Feb are $967 Air China, $1002 EVA, $1076 Emirates, $1090 Asiana, $1094 Korean Air. Which fight would you pick?

1. What is layover/flight time situation? I flew Korean to Japan years ago and really liked the service, but their flights from LAX always seem to involve a horrendous (8+ hour) layover.

2. Is Eva economy or premium economy?

Haven't flown either, but, based on ratings, Asiana (3) and Emirates (10) are both highly rated.

In my opinion, saving $50-100 is not worth having to sit in an airport for too long (I'd say 3:30+) or if there is too short a connection time (too much can go wrong if only 1 hour, IMHO)

Edited by footypjman

Altec123 makes a great point -- figure out if any are partners of a carrier that you fly/have miles on. Also determine if miles will transfer (some fare codes do not)

Star Alliance includes Air China, United/Continental/US Air, Thai, Asiana (Eva has codeshare and appears to earn miles on many of these, and may be joing Star Alliance)

One World includes America, British Airways, Cathay - doesn't appear to be a factor here

Sky Team includes Delta, Korean, China Airlines

I don't have miles, so this isn't a issue. The cheapest is Air China and they are the fastest and they have short layovers of 1 hr and 50 min. Most flights arrive all about 11-12 at night. Emirates arrives at 8 in the morning, but they have a long layover.

Looking at money and time only Air China would win, but I don't know how nice of a trip it is while on the plane. I have heard god things about the Korean airlines, but is it worth the additional cost. It would also have a long layover coming back.

Does anyone know if Air China is any good?

BKKJoe -- I ran a quick search on "FlyerTalk.com" for you to see what I could find -- some people rant and rave and hate it; others say it's not so bad.

It's not on the level with other Asian carriers in terms of service, but, as you say, it's the cheapest and the most convenient.

What is the most recommended airline going to BKK?

China Air seems to be the cheapest.

Thanks...

It is the cheapest, but the accommodations are the worst of all the airlines.

I'm thinking one of the Korean airlines maybe the way to go, since that aren't that much more and maybe I can get a tour of Korea on the way back during the wait. Emirates is also worth considering as they arrive at 8 in the morning. Thanks for the help!

I don't have miles, so this isn't a issue. The cheapest is Air China and they are the fastest and they have short layovers of 1 hr and 50 min. Most flights arrive all about 11-12 at night. Emirates arrives at 8 in the morning, but they have a long layover.

Looking at money and time only Air China would win, but I don't know how nice of a trip it is while on the plane. I have heard god things about the Korean airlines, but is it worth the additional cost. It would also have a long layover coming back.

Does anyone know if Air China is any good?

join one of the FF programs IMHO is worth it,

, I flew twice with cathay and redeemed their miles for a logitec laptop speakers and motorola walkie talkie t3 (total value of the awards around $100), now I am waiting to get my miles from my last trip on finnair .

:Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1:

If you go a lot, you HAVE to get a FF card and then just stay committed to the airline. I am working on a free first class ticket to BKK right now on Delta. I need a lot more miles but I will get them. I flew first class once on Thai airways and it was HEAVEN!!! If I had time, and I had the budget, there is really no other way to go. When I flew them they were going out of NY but now they only go out of LA. (SUCKS!) From LA its 17 hours straight, but it doesnt seem that long. You have a chair that turns into a bed and a TV with tons of movies and HOT Thai stewarded... sigh...sorry I was daydreaming again. I need to hit the lottery. LOL

I'm looking at maybe booking EVA, as they seem to have a pretty good package. I will sign up for the FF miles. I had them in the past with Delta and United and received two free tickets.