Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

American Fanelli sentenced to 10 years for Phuket bar girl murder

LaaMok

Thursday, November 3, 2011

American Fanelli sentenced to 10 years for Phuket bar girl murder

phuket-1-11352trprlHrOBUgVUOQgJAPcAAOtUr.jpg Phuket expat Ronald Fanelli was sentenced to 10 years in prison for murdering bar girl Wanphen Pienjai and stuffing her body into a suitcase.

phuket-4-11352XEOtNWFtvjxslLiyqAWfbNiIMO.jpg Murder victim Wanphen Pienjai had a young daughter at the time of her murder.

PHUKET: American Ronald “Mad Yank” Fanelli has been sentenced to 10 years and three months imprisonment for the stabbing murder of bar hostess Wanphen Pienjai last year.

Phuket Provincial Prison Director Rapin Nichanon today confirmed that the court’s decision was handed down on Tuesday.

The sentence will be reduced by the 471 days Fanelli has already been detained, he added.

Fanelli has the right to appeal the decision, although details of the conditions of an appeal have yet to be announced.

“Under policy, Phuket Prison accommodates prisoners serving sentences up to 15 years, so he can stay here if chooses to.

“However, he has the right to contact his embassy and apply to be transferred to another prison, such as Klong Prem Prison in Bangkok, which would be more convenient for him if he wants to stay in regular contact with embassy officials,” Chief Rapin said.

“He returned from Suan Saranrom Hospital in Surat Thani only a few days ago. This was the second time he was sent there for psychiatric treatment. The first time he spent many months receiving treatment there,” he added.

In March this year, Fanelli told the Phuket Gazette in an exclusive interview that conditions at the overcrowded Phuket Prison were making him ill.

Phuket Prison is currently home to nearly 1,600 prisoners. The facility was originally designed to house about 1,000 inmates.

During the interview, Fanelli said that overcrowding at the prison had led to a lack of cleanliness that caused him to contract scabies and other infections.

He added that he continued to suffer from “the stress of having to watch out for my own physical safety as well as that of my friends who are weaker than me.”

At a press conference in July last year, Fanelli confessed to killing Miss Pienjai by stabbing her, but said it was an “accident”.

Presented by police at the same press conference were items to be used as evidence to show that Fanelli disposed of Miss Pienjai’s body by stuffing it into a large suitcase – posthumously breaking both of her legs.

He carried the suitcase by motorbike and dumped it in a remote part of Phuket's Wichit sub-district, several kilometers from his rented home.

Fanelli, who was a professional poker player, earned the name “Mad Yank” among fellow players for his often boisterous demeanor.

Columnist Victoria Coren wrote an article in the British newspaper The Guardian, about her friendship with Fanelli when he was participating in poker competitions.

To see video of Ronald Fanelli confessing to the killing of Ms Pienjai, click

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11352.html

10 years for stabbing someone to death AND after she's dead breaking both legs and placing the body in a suitcase and tossing it on the side of a road?!? Wow Thailand is not as tough on crime as I once thought.

This pro poker player must have payed alot.

Edited by Wolf Cat

wow only 10 years, for killing a young lady and leaving her daughter motherless ? Imo the sentence should be alot higher and also alot of money given (compensation) to the little girl for her up bringing/education etc.

It's so wrong. Obviously wrong.

Getting caught with weed... what is the sentence for that?

Death... 10 years... doesn't make sense.

• 1 month later...

Thailand can be fucked up. For example this man gets 10 years for 1st degree murder, yet if you smuggle drugs you can get the life sentence or death? WTF

Sorry, but I'm a vengeful prick -- I hope that he had to pay up TONS to this poor girl's daughter....and once that amount has been fully paid, I hope that another Thai prisoner guts this f*cker and leaves him to die in his cell. He deserves no more, in my opinion.

How do you "accidentally" stab someone to death? I can understand if you're showing someone a gun, don't know it's loaded and it goes off....but "accidentally stabbing" someone to death?!?

He will be probably get out earlier through remission...

Sorry, but I'm a vengeful prick -- I hope that he had to pay up TONS to this poor girl's daughter....and once that amount has been fully paid, I hope that another Thai prisoner guts this f*cker and leaves him to die in his cell. He deserves no more, in my opinion.

How do you "accidentally" stab someone to death? I can understand if you're showing someone a gun, don't know it's loaded and it goes off....but "accidentally stabbing" someone to death?!?

Your on the right track , With a little luck some of them Thai Bro's in prison with him will take care of the biz .

None

Your on the right track , With a little luck some of them Thai Bro's in prison with him will take care of the biz .

I have to say I agree with you and footypj.

I was shocked when I read he only got 10 years but I doubt 10years in jail there is like 10years in his home town.

I really think he will not make it out of there alive anyway.

Let's hope so anyway.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand