IGNORED

Forum Upgraded

LaaMok

Click the blue circle to the left of the topic title, or the star which just means you've made a post in the topic. This will take you to the first unread post.

Ah - that's interesting...Thanks for letting me know that's there. As a developer myself, I'd probably want to swap that main link with this buried one.

My reason being, if I've never visited the topic, I'll see it all. If I have been here before, my default move would be to pick up where I left off...in either event, the main function of that link would be to connect with the current state of the thread. Seeing that the title is the largest hit spot, it's also the most natural place for someone to click, not the little ball on the left...

But that's just me.. ;)

Edited by Woofiee

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edge

• 7-Eleven

• LaaMok

• Paddy Od

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah - that's interesting...Thanks for letting me know that's there. As a developer myself, I'd probably want to swap that main link with this buried one...

I agree & it's a perfect example of trying to fix something that isn't broke. When viewing 'new content' you always want to see the first unread post! :Think1:

sgu_banner.gif

Actually, I think the admins shouldn't do this. Part of the problem with the older site was that people would stick ridiculously-sized images up on the site - 8-10 megapixels seemed to be the norm - and that just killed performance. Since the images were sized-down to fit the width, the users may not have noticed that they were really wasting bandwidth and clogging the arteries of this system.

Unless there's an automatic resampling function (eg, using imagemagik to set a maximum size, eg 800x600) or a filter that sets a size limit on uploads, I say don't scale images with css - let them reflect their true size and hopefully users here will be a bit more careful with uploads.

Remember - we're all in this together! ;)

The size of the pix can easily be fixed.

Either modify the code responsible for uploading to detect pic size (or weight) and to rescale the pix on the fly (very easy with PHP), or have a cron job go through the pix folder every day and resize the pix that are too big or too heavy.

On my forum, I modified pic display, the pic gets resized on the fly when it is being displayed, and includes steganographic info about the member who is seeing the pic.

This would probably put too much pressure on this site's server CPU though, because of high traffic.

Edited by manarak

Is it a conscious decision to no longer show the joined date?

I don't know if it was just me, but when combined with post numbers it allowed some sort of subconscious calculation of the likely worth of a BM's post.

Edit - Yes I know it's still in the Profile, but I mean when posting 'from the hip' so to speak i.e. it used to be shown here in the thread.

I agree with Edge, I like to see how long a BM has been around too.

Is it a conscious decision to no longer show the joined date?

I don't know if it was just me, but when combined with post numbers it allowed some sort of subconscious calculation of the likely worth of a BM's post.

Edit - Yes I know it's still in the Profile, but I mean when posting 'from the hip' so to speak i.e. it used to be shown here in the thread.

I agree with Edge, I like to see how long a BM has been around too.

if you hover your mouse over the blue BM name on top of a post the info appears in a pop-up window.

oh, well I'll be damned. Hard to teach us old dogs new tricks.

Thanks

if you hover your mouse over the blue BM name on top of a post the info appears in a pop-up window.

Cleverrrrr.

It's an extra move, but i suppose I'll get used to it in time.

I had marked a few topics which I wanted to follow and used to get daily updates...

However, since the upgrade I dont get anymore updates on a daily/weekly basis... ;-(

I had marked a few topics which I wanted to follow and used to get daily updates...

However, since the upgrade I dont get anymore updates on a daily/weekly basis... ;-(

Me too. I even went to the ones I was following before the upgrade and unfollowed them, then followed them anew. I still don't get any notifications even though there are new posts to the thread.

Me too. I even went to the ones I was following before the upgrade and unfollowed them, then followed them anew. I still don't get any notifications even though there are new posts to the thread.

Have you checked to see which options are ticked in > My Settings > Notification options?

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Have you checked to see which options are ticked in > My Settings > Notification options?

I had, and just checked again. Under "Topics & Posts" I have the first box for "Auto follow...." checked and frequency is set at Daily Digest. The next 2 notification options were unchecked and the remaining 4 options were all checked for Email only.

I went ahead and checked the first two for email. So now all are checked for email notification.

Am I doing it right?

I suspect this is a wide spread problem, because when I unfollowed/followed the topics yesterday, the sys displays how many BM are following a particular topic. The numbers displayed seemed ridiculously low. Like only 100 Bm's following Nuff's "Pattaya Uncovered" or 38 following "Thai Girls in their Underwear". I'd of thought they were more popular.

The size of the pix can easily be fixed.

Either modify the code responsible for uploading to detect pic size (or weight) and to rescale the pix on the fly (very easy with PHP), or have a cron job go through the pix folder every day and resize the pix that are too big or too heavy.

On my forum, I modified pic display, the pic gets resized on the fly when it is being displayed, and includes steganographic info about the member who is seeing the pic.

This would probably put too much pressure on this site's server CPU though, because of high traffic.

For that, the solution would be to take that dynamically-created image and then cache it, and then have the site refer to the proxied image. Ultimately, if load is an issue, scale the image on upload and that's a one-off process; a heck of a lot less system stress than tying it to display.

Looks and works fine in Chrome - this was a well done job Laamok.

Having said that, it doesn't work very well on an iPhone, main beef being that you can't see any pictures. Maybe you need to mess about with the config for the mobile version, the problem seems to be that the neither the browser nor the ipBoard app seems to be able to resolve the links...

Cheers and good luck with the tinkering :)

9 people can't make a baby in one month

I had, and just checked again. Under "Topics & Posts" I have the first box for "Auto follow...." checked and frequency is set at Daily Digest. The next 2 notification options were unchecked and the remaining 4 options were all checked for Email only.

I went ahead and checked the first two for email. So now all are checked for email notification.

Am I doing it right?

Sounds right. See if you get your daily digest tomorrow

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

If not, try standing in a bowl of warm soapy water while you clear the lot out, then enter them all again and save.

Then cut your toenails. :hello09:

I haven't figured out how to upload a video yet (youtube). :Dunno:

I haven't figured out how to upload a video yet (youtube). :Dunno:

You don`t upload videos, you embed them :hello09: Just copy and paste the link from YouTube and voila!

Edited by Sabaiweb

If not, try standing in a bowl of warm soapy water while you clear the lot out, then enter them all again and save.

Then cut your toenails. :hello09:

So just how long do I need to soak my feet, I must not be doing it long enough because I'm still not getting any updates.

Every notification option is checked, for email. Even followed a few new ones. Nada.

Any more suggestions?

So just how long do I need to soak my feet, I must not be doing it long enough because I'm still not getting any updates.

Every notification option is checked, for email. Even followed a few new ones. Nada.

Any more suggestions?

I presume you've checked your junk folder? Other than that I'm a bit stumped. Any other (sensible) suggestions anyone?

RULES

1NQq.gif

Any more suggestions?

Hop out of the soapy water and open up the drop down box where your name is at the extreme top right hand corner, click on "Content I Follow" it should be in there.

Any more suggestions?

If 30 minutes didn't do it you can take them out now before they dissolve.

I had the same problem following the last forum upgrade attempt.

I tried changing the email address for notifications to my 'proper' one and it worked, only I didn't want them clogging that up.

I changed it back again and it didn't work again.

I wound up creating a new Hotmail account just for notifications and it works fine. I don't use it for anything else so I rarely go there, but I like email notifications because then I can see what BMs really said before they edited it. :Think1:

Hop out of the soapy water and open up the drop down box where your name is at the extreme top right hand corner, click on "Content I Follow" it should be in there.

Bingo!

That was it. On that page, there's an option button in the upper right corner, "Toggle Edit Options". Click on it, check boxes appear, click the top one top select all, then go to the bottom of the page and choose an action from the drop down menu. Of course I selected "notify me of updates" and then click the "Update Selected" button and Bingo, it's done. I've already received an update notification.

Clearly, the upgrade to the forum software didn't transfer all the settings over.

Sorry if I'm being thick or it's been dealt with already, but is there any clever way i can use the space at the sides of my screen without stretching pics etc?

spare screen.JPG