Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Sad death of Marco Simoncelli

pattayapaul1

Hi guys, It is with great sadness that I hear of the death of Moto GP rider Marco Simoncelli at Sepang this morning. I watch Moto races in many bars in Pattaya when I am over on holiday and I know it has a very strong following. Marco was a great rider, never shunning away from an opportunity or a chance to make the podium. I for one will sadly miss his riding and I am sure all Moto fans will join me in wishing all his family and loved ones our sincere hearts sympathy. Rest in peace Marco, god bless.ew.jpg

RIP Marco.

It's been a black week for Motor Sport after the death of Dan Wheldon. Both racers were terrific competitors who gave everything for their sport. They will be sadly missed.

I'm here for a fun time not a long time!  

Massive massive loss to MotoGp - I just hope Lorenzo knows when to bite his tongue.

Marco should have let Bautista go for a lap or two, but he saw the three Repsols heading for the hills and that wasn't Marco's way unfortunately.

Well done to Casey Stoner, but with only Valencia to go, they can end this season there for me.

R.I.P.

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) – Marco Simoncelli, a rising MotoGP star, died Sunday at the same Malaysian circuit where the Italian won the 250cc world title in 2008. He was 24.

• Italys-Marco-Simoncelli-dies-in-MotoGP-race-6SGNCTT-x.jpg

Italian rider Marco Simoncelli, is lifted onto a stretcher after a motocross crash Sunday in Malayasia. Simoncelli, 24, died at a hospital 45 minutes later.

Enlarge

Italian rider Marco Simoncelli, is lifted onto a stretcher after a motocross crash Sunday in Malayasia. Simoncelli, 24, died at a hospital 45 minutes later.

Nicknamed "Super Sic" and sporting a mop of curly hair, Simoncelli was predicted by many to be a future MotoGP world champion. He died a week after two-timeIndianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon was killed in a 15-car accident in the Izod IndyCar Series finale at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Simoncelli lost control of his Honda at Turn 11 four minutes into the Malaysian MotoGP. After regaining partial grip, Simoncelli's bike swerved across the track — and into the path of American Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi of Italy.

Simoncelli was taken to the medical center at the Sepang circuit, where he died of chest, head and neck injuries, organizers said.

"He was already unconscious when the medical team arrived (at the track)," MotoGP medical director Michele Macchiagodena said. "We attempted to resuscitate him but failed. He died 45 minutes later."

Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso of Italy said, "Marco was a strong rider and he always pushed hard. We raced together since we were kids, I saw him always pushing to the maximum, he crashed many times, but without major injuries, he seemed invincible. What happened today seems impossible."

Rossi had been one of the earliest riders to praise Simoncelli's desire to win.

"Going into a duel with him is like going into a fight with someone bigger than you," Rossi said. "You know he's going to take you."

Simoncelli was born Jan. 20, 1987, in Cattolica in eastern Italy. He developed a passion for the sport at a young age and started racing in the Minibike Championships when he was 7.

He won the European 125cc title in 2002, the same year in which he made his debut in the 125cc World Championship, moving to the global competition full time the following season.

Simoncelli finished 21st that year but improved in 2004, when he moved up to 11th and earned his first win — the Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez.

In 2005, Simoncelli joined the Nocable.it Race team. He won in Jerez again and totaled six podium finishes, ending the season — and his time in 125cc — in fifth place.

Simoncelli had an unimpressive start to his career in the 250cc class.

Riding for Gilera, he finished 10th in his first two seasons, with his best showing a sixth place in 2006. He finished seventh twice in 2007.

Everything changed the following year when Simoncelli won the 250cc world title despite crashing out on the first two races of the season. He clinched the title with a third-place finish at the Sepang circuit in Malaysia.

I was watching it live here in Oz & i knew straight away that Marco was knocked out unconscious especially when his helmet went flying off...a really sad day for the MotoGP

RIP Marco

'So strong... and so sweet. I will miss him': Rossi pays tribute to Simoncelli as motorsport mourns second death in a week

WARNING: INCLUDES GRAPHIC PICTURE CONTENT

MotoGP star Valentino Rossi led the tributes for Marco Simoncelli after he became the second high-profile death in motorsport in a week.Italian Simoncelli was killed in a crash at the Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday - exactly a week after British star Dan Wheldon died at the IndyCar 300 in Las Vegas.

article-2052712-0E7FFA5800000578-760_634x409.jpgHero: Fans laid flowers in Cattolica after the death of Mario Simoncelli

The Gresini Honda rider lost control of his bike on the second lap of the circuit in Sepang and was hit by Colin Edwards and then Rossi as he slid across the track.

The 24-year-old's helmet came off in the collision and he was taken to the medical centre for treatment, but died from his injuries.

Simoncelli suffered 'serious trauma' to the head, neck and chest in the accident on lap two.

The organisers cancelled Sunday's race as soon as the extent of Simoncelli's injuries became apparent.

On Twitter, close friend and seven-time champion Rossi wrote: 'Sic for me was like a youngest brother. So strong on track and so sweet in the normal life. I will miss him a lot.'

Spanish rider Dani Pedrosa had a dispute with fellow factory Honda rider Simoncelli earlier this season, but news of his rival's death left last season's championship runner-up reeling.

Repsol Honda's Pedrosa said: 'In a tragedy like this there is not much to say. I just want to give my condolences to his family and all the people who love him.

article-2052436-0E7EADC400000578-449_634x329.jpgMoment of horror: Simoncelli loses control on the second lap

article-2052436-0E7EABF800000578-997_634x323.jpgFall: Edwards spins off the track along with Simoncelli's bike as the 24-year-old Italian devastatingly lies motionless

'I've been with his father and all we could do was to hug, nothing else matters. It was a fatal accident and everybody in the paddock remains in shock.

'Many times we ourselves forget how dangerous this sport can be and when you lose people on the way nothing has any meaning. It's clear that we all do what we like, what we love, but on days like this nothing matters.'

Newly-crowned MotoGP champion Casey Stoner added: 'I'm so shocked and saddened by the loss of Marco. When things like this happen it reminds you how precious life is, it makes me feel sick inside.

'All I can say is how sorry I am for Marco's whole family. I can't imagine what they are all going through and our thoughts and wishes are with them at this time. I hope they all stay close and pull through this tragedy together.'

Speaking at a press conference following the tragedy, medical director Dr Michele Macchiagodena said of Simoncelli: 'Because of the crash he had during the race, in which he was hit by other riders, he suffered a very serious trauma to the head, to the neck and the chest.

article-2052436-0E7E7D7B00000578-225_634x391.jpgAgony: Marco Simoncelli's father is comforted as he waits outside a medical centre where the rider was taken following a crash at the Malaysian Grand Prix

article-2052436-0E7E7DE300000578-181_634x364.jpgSorrow: Honda team members (above and below) react to the sad news

article-2052436-0E7EAB4C00000578-421_634x425.jpg'When our medical staff got to him he was unconscious. In the ambulance because there was a cardiac arrest they started CPR (cardiac pulmonary resuscitation).

'Immediately in the medical centre, with the help also of the doctor of our staff at the Clinica Mobile and local doctors, he was intubated and it was possible to take off some blood from the thorax.

'The CPR was continued for 45 minutes because we tried to help him for as long as we thought it was possible. Unfortunately it was not possible to help him and at 16:56 (local time) we had to declare he was dead.'

Simoncelli's compatriot and Repsol Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso said: 'I watched the images and I'm shocked: in a race you fight and push hard and disaster is often around the corner.

'Marco was a strong rider and he always pushed hard. We raced together since we were kids, I saw him always pushing to the maximum, he crashed many times, but without major injuries, he was seemed invincible. What happened today seems impossible.'

Simoncelli, who won the 250cc world championship in 2008, clinching the crown in Sepang, stepped up to MotoGP in 2010 and he finished eighth overall last season.

article-2052436-0E7EECB000000578-315_634x345.jpgLosing control: Simoncelli (No 58) crashed on the second lap of the race, riding between Edwards and Valentino Rossi

article-2052436-0E7EE96000000578-906_634x347.jpgEmergency: Race marshalls quickly arrive at the scene to assist the stricken Simoncelli

His death was the first fatality in MotoGP since Japan's Daijiro Katoh died from his injuries sustained at the 2003 Japanese Grand Prix.

When asked about Simoncelli's helmet coming off, race director Paul Butler said at the press conference: 'I think if I may reply, that will be for another occasion. Quite clearly the consequences and circumstances surrounding the accident will be thoroughly investigated.'

Tributes poured in for Simoncelli from both MotoGP and the wider world of motorsport.

Formula One driver Mark Webber wrote on Twitter: 'R.I.P Marco A special talent that will be missed... Thinking of your loved ones, and all the motogp paddock..mark."

Britain's Jenson Button wrote on his Twitter account: 'R.I.P Marco... Such an exciting talent lost. My thoughts are with his family, friends and everyone involved in MotoGP. Motorsport can be so cruel...'

article-2052436-0E7EC30900000578-991_634x384.jpgWheeled away: Track officials remove Simoncelli's motorcycle after the dreadful accident

British rider Cal Crutchlow added on Twitter: 'RIP Marco Simoncelli ! A great rider and all round nice guy. My thoughts are with all his family & friends.'

'Today is one of the saddest days of my presidency,' said Gianni Petrucci, president of Italian sport's governing body CONI. 'The tragic death of Marco Simoncelli has deeply upset and shaken me.

'Life is sacred and you can't die at the age of 24 for a race. I hoped right until the end that Marco could do it. I saw the pain and anguish of his father who was there by his side... we are all with his family in mourning the death of a champion.

article-2052436-0E7E7CCF00000578-745_634x347.jpgCancelled: Rubbish covers the track after the race was abandoned early in Sepang

article-2052436-0E7EED1800000578-764_634x362.jpgDelivering the news: MotoGp officials relay the tragic announcement

'An inconceivable death which has stunned Italian sport. For this reason we decided that all sport today should honor him with a minute's silence.'

A statement on the MotoGP official website read: 'On Sunday 23rd October, during the MotoGP race at the Shell Advance Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix at the Sepang International Circuit, San Carlo Honda Gresini's Italian rider Marco Simoncelli suffered a serious accident in which he received critical injuries.

'The race was stopped immediately with the red flag and Simoncelli was transported by ambulance to the circuit medical centre where the medical staff worked to resuscitate him.

'Despite their efforts, Marco sadly succumbed to his injuries at 4:56pm local time.

article-2052436-0E7EF31500000578-878_634x521.jpgSupport: Simoncelli's girlfriend Kate is consoled by a TV crew member following her partner's tragic crash

article-2052712-0E7F4CB800000578-553_306x423.jpgAgony: Simoncelli's mother Rossella is inconsolable

'Everybody involved in MotoGP extends its deepest condolences to Marco's family, friends and team at this tragic loss.'

Simoncelli, who won the 250cc world championship in 2008, clinching the crown in Sepang, stepped up to MotoGP in 2010.

A message on Simoncelli's Gresini Honda team website read simply 'CIAO "SUPER SIC"'.

The Rizla Suzuki team wrote: 'All at Rizla Suzuki are deeply affected by today's tragic events and send their deepest condolences to Marco's family and friends during this time of great loss.

'R.I.P Marco Simoncelli, 20 January 1987 - 23 October 2011 - A true competitor.'

Of the other riders involved, Edwards suffered a dislocated shoulder after being thrown from his bike, while Rossi managed to limp back to the pits.

Meanwhile, Rossi's mentor has denied the Italian great will be retiring from the sport in the wake of his Simoncelli's death.

Davide Brivio, Rossi's manager at former team Yamaha, responded to widespread internet rumours that the 32-year-old was too upset to carry on racing.

'Many are asking about Vale stopping races. This is absolutely not true and I'm sorry even that I have to explain it,' Brivio wrote on Twitter.

article-2052712-0E7FC7AF00000578-680_634x423.jpgTribute: A huge screen shows a picture of Simoncelli during a minute's silence at the Roma v Palermo at the Olympic stadium

MARCO SIMONCELLI: 1987 - 2011

1987: Born in Cattolica, Italy on January 20.

1996: Runner-up in the Italian Minimoto Championship.

1999: Champion of the Italian Minimoto Championship.

2000: Claims a back-to-back title in the Italian Minimoto Championship and is runner-up in the European Minimoto Championship.

2001: Moves up to the the Italian 125cc Championship and wins the title in his rookie year.

2002: Wins the European 125cc title.

2003: Takes part in his first full season in the 125cc World Championship with the Matteoni Racing team.

2004: Joins the Rauch Bravo team and wins his first Grand Prix at a rain-soaked Jerez.

2005: Completes another 125cc campaign with the Nocable.it Race team and finishes fifth in the final standings.

2006: Moves up to the 250cc class riding for Gilera. Finishes the season in 10th overall with a sixth place finish at the Chinese Grand Prix his best result.

article-2052436-0E7E9FC400000578-293_457x346.jpg2008: June - Wins his first 250cc race at the Italian GP in Mugello in controversial circumstances when Hector Barbera crashed into him after Simoncelli appeared to try to block him off.

October - Wins the 250cc World Championship after a successful season with Gilera with a third place finish in the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang.

2009: Finishes third overall in the 250cc World Championship behind Japan's Hiroshi Aoyama and Spain's Barbera.

2010: Moves up to ride in his debut MotoGP season for Honda. Finishes 16 of the 18 races en route to eighth place in the championship.

2011: May - Collides with Dani Pedrosa while battling for second in the French GP. The resulting crash saw Pedrosa break his collarbone and Simoncelli receive a ride-through penalty, eventually finishing fifth. Simoncelli accepted he needed to re-evaluate his driving style and at times be more cautious.

June - Claims his first MotoGP pole at the Catalan GP but a poor start resulted in a sixth placed finish.

October 23 - Killed in a crash during the Malaysian GP in Sepang.

Another sad moment for motorsport. He was a larger than life character and wasn't afraid to push the limits, even if it got him in trouble sometimes.

I am an keen Moto GP fan and was watching the race when it happened, its one of those times when you know its not likely the rider is just going to get up and walk away like they do 99% of the time.

RIP Marco

It was extremely Sad, he had so much talent which was easy to see and with a Factory Honda Bike next year he was surley going to challenge stoner for the Title...

I cant see Colin Edwards or Valentino Rossi coming back from this and i expect they will Both Retire never getting on a Bike again..

Marco was best friends with Rossi and its very Sad news for Moto Gp..

R.I.P Marco...

RIP indeed a tragic loss both as a Person. And future World Champ.

At least if it is any comfort to those that lived him he died doing what he loved

RIP Marco

It was extremely Sad, he had so much talent which was easy to see and with a Factory Honda Bike next year he was surley going to challenge stoner for the Title...

I cant see Colin Edwards or Valentino Rossi coming back from this and i expect they will Both Retire never getting on a Bike again..

Marco was best friends with Rossi and its very Sad news for Moto Gp..

R.I.P Marco...

Rossi's manager is saying Vali won't retire over this - easy words.

These guys wouldn't have got as far as they have without being able to shut this stuff out, but for Rossi and Edwards that surely won't be possible.

How can they not take stock and consider their future?

I'd be surprised if it didn't get to Casey and others too.

This accident was so horrific and graphic it is imprinted in the minds of so many of us.

It was obviously horribly serious even from first showing - full face helmets are specifically designed not to come off without undoing the strap.

They didn't replay it for quite a while, from which we drew the obvious conclusion.

We had no sound in Wetherspoons because of the Rugby, but the faces of the other riders confirmed what they must have known or at least greatly feared.

Eventually they started the replays. I guess the days when they used to black them out in such cases out of respect are long gone.

Casey and Honda have done a fantastic job this year, but for me next year was all about seeing Marco and Casey dual it out while Lorenzo and others ate their dust.

Rossi is a legend and has given us so much, but the future was about Simoncelli for me.

I switched off for several years after seeing Wayne Rainey crash into that gravel trap.

I don't know if i have the heart left for MotoGP now.

It will go on of course, but it surely can't be the same for many fans or the riders.

Source - Londonbikers.com

While we're all still reeling from the death of Marco Simoncelli we now have footage doing the rounds on YouTube showing what happened to him once the cameras stopped showing the scene.This amateur footage shows, despite clearly being shot from some distance away, a group of marshalls of indeterminate rank or purpose loading Simoncelli onto a portable stretcher before jogging over the infield to a waiting ambulance some 30 yards away over a safety fence.

As if that isn’t bad enough, they drop him. Yes, a guy at the back stumbles and down goes the stretcher; Marco gets completely up-ended along the other stretcher bearers. He’s then bundled back on the stretcher and, assisted by more people, they get him over the safety fence to the ambulance.

No course cars or medical services appeared on track or off track during the 2ish minutes of footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NqZNsDx_WCo

Compare this with the last round of our BSB series at Brands Hatch a few weeks ago where John Crockford collided in a very bad accident on the opening lap of the Superstock 1000 race. Within moments medical cars and ambulances filled the track, shielding the downed rider both from stray riders who might have missed the pitlane and from onlookers gawping.

I'm no medical expert but find the idea that a handful of marshalls manhandling a downed rider, dropping the stretcher, then having to pass him over a safety fence surely isn't the best, most professional care that rider could have been afforded.

I have had a discussion with a doctor who has served at the Silverstone BSB round and she is confident that since he was dead on the track it was the best thing to do - to get him to the ambulance pronto; that nothing could have actually been done on the track. All of which I can't dispute, other than to say that if he was dead, then wouldn't it have been better to leave him surrounded by bales until the cars and ambulances could get there to take him away discreetly? If there was a chance to save him then dumping him off a stretcher won't have helped surely?

I can't blame the guy holding the stretcher but I want to question the policies behind the decision and the lack of track access for medical services.

Away from last weekend's very sad events I remember the marshalls doing the same (i.e. dropping the stretcher) during the Scott Reading/Shoya Tomizawa fatal crash in Moto2 during 2010.

I wonder if this is policy? Can it be that it doesn't matter what the injuries are or indeed it doesn't matter about diagnosing them first, just get the riders off the track. Is it commercial pressures to keep the race running if possible, to keep to timings? Or just a base lack of standards? Is there a difference?

I doubt we’ll ever find answers to these questions, I certainly don’t have them but I hope the organisers do or at least are thinking about them now.

Rossi's manager is saying Vali won't retire over this - easy words.

These guys wouldn't have got as far as they have without being able to shut this stuff out, but for Rossi and Edwards that surely won't be possible.

How can they not take stock and consider their future?

I'd be surprised if it didn't get to Casey and others too.

This accident was so horrific and graphic it is imprinted in the minds of so many of us.

It was obviously horribly serious even from first showing - full face helmets are specifically designed not to come off without undoing the strap.

They didn't replay it for quite a while, from which we drew the obvious conclusion.

We had no sound in Wetherspoons because of the Rugby, but the faces of the other riders confirmed what they must have known or at least greatly feared.

Eventually they started the replays. I guess the days when they used to black them out in such cases out of respect are long gone.

Casey and Honda have done a fantastic job this year, but for me next year was all about seeing Marco and Casey dual it out while Lorenzo and others ate their dust.

Rossi is a legend and has given us so much, but the future was about Simoncelli for me.

I switched off for several years after seeing Wayne Rainey crash into that gravel trap.

I don't know if i have the heart left for MotoGP now.

It will go on of course, but it surely can't be the same for many fans or the riders.

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli