IGNORED

Why the Khmer tattoo?

Im sure any regular visitor to Pattaya will have noticed that perhaps 25% of the girls sport the same tattoo, a kmher symbol made even more popular by Angelina Jolie getting it.

Jolie%20maddox%20prayer%20tattoo.jpg

Now what confuses me is that only a tiny percentage of Isan people are actually Khmer and speak this language. (centred round Surin)the rest speak Isan which is effectively a dialect of the Lao language and them majority of girls are ethnically Lao.

So im confused as to why they dont all have some kind of Lao tattoo in line with their backgrounds. Especially given the recent disputes between Thailand and Cambodia over a Khmer temple.

Im aware of the fact the Khmer empire covered most of modern Thailand maybe 1000 years ago, but this does not explian it to me. Anyone know a litte about this? or should i just focus on posts about humping and leave my history geekiness for another site!?

Here's a link to the Sak Yant page that kind of explains the language use.

Basically, Sak Yants are done in ancient Khmer script in the Pali language which is considered sacred and is what gives the Yant it's power.

Fritzy

IN fact most sak yants are pieces of prayers, most time to give the person good luck!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

• 4 weeks later...

The reason is that the Ajarn they went to tattooed in Khmer (Khom)

But actually, some sak yant are in Lanna or in Mon or even Tewanakiree (Devanaghiri), so oyu may be actually speaking too soon. Any Yant tattooed in the North will mostly have Lanna Agkhara lettering, not Khom lettering.

So perhaps some of the Lao girls do have a Lao or Lanna script

What they are interested in actually when they go to get tattooed, is getting lucky with blessings/magical assistance.

They are less for making personal or cultural statements than westerners, and whatever language their tattoo gets done in is more dependant on where they went to get it done, than where they come from originally

Read my Ezine 'Buddha Magic' - http://www.thailand-...category=419479

• 1 month later...

when i asked the girls what that means they all say its for good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Who is Angaleeta Jolee and why do I care she's sporting Pali chants on her skin? I think I may have barfined her one time....a so-so BJ and a lousy shag. You've been warned.

There are many variants of these. Depending upon the script they may be intended to bestow luck, wisdom, prosperity, health or authority on their owner or on other people. Angelina Jolie's, is intended to protect her adopted Cambodian son. Some of them are supposed to influence the behaviour of other people. A bargirl once told me a story of a girl who had a magic Khmer tattoo that made all men fall in love with her.

You have been warned ;-)

Edited by tode1640

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

Very interesting guys.

:NiceThread1:

A bargirl once told me a story of a girl who had a magic Khmer tattoo that made all men fall in love with her.

This one is written about in Private Dancer.

• 4 months later...

It may be fanciful but I see Isaan girls in Pattaya as having a lot of Khymer blood, that's where they get their feisty nature, self-sufficiency and tom-boyness. Their ancesters were warriors who swept asia.

Edited by wellsa

The Sex Tourist, available on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K211M5V or smashwords https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/924453

Signature pic PA.png

• 1 month later...

I actually see more BG's with something on back of their neck, I think its like the "9 spheres" or maybe..Yant Gao Yord.....What does it actually mean? Also, I have know many Thai BG's to go to temple for long periods, like 6-8 hours....what do they actually do? Just pray and meditate?

I actually see more BG's with something on back of their neck, I think its like the "9 spheres" or maybe..Yant Gao Yord.....What does it actually mean? Also, I have know many Thai BG's to go to temple for long periods, like 6-8 hours....what do they actually do? Just pray and meditate?

I've been to a few temples around Pattaya and Jomtien with my last LT and the longest visit was 2 hours . Can't imagine what they would do for 6 to 8 hours .

I have know many Thai BG's to go to temple for long periods, like 6-8 hours....what do they actually do? Just pray and meditate?

Depends upon the girl and the temple. Sometimes it will be praying and meditating, or taking part in a ceremony. Sometimes they help out around the temple - cleaning and polishing and the like. Some temples are also effectively community centres. I know of a buddhist temple where one of the monks runs a free computer class (admittedly this isn't in Thailand, but I guess that such things go on there too).

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain