IGNORED

advice requested on hotel in the 1000 to 1500 baht range

wencitoftum

Hello,

I've been lurking on and off in this forum for the past two years now, but this is the first message I've sent.

First, I would like to thank all the regular contributors to this forum. Your messages are appreciated.

I'm coming to Pattaya for a couple weeks in the beginning of November (4 to 22) and I would like to ask the advice of the forum on hotel choice. Yes, I know this is just the beginning of high season, but that's the only time i could come and here is my quandary.

This will be my 3rd stay in Pattaya. In the first one, I stayed in MaMaison hotel and in the second in the Pattaya Bay Resort.

Now, don't misunderstand me, both hotels are very good and I was happy with the service in both cases.

My problem with MaMaison is that in high season, the price rises slightly higher than I wish to pay (I prefer to save my money to spend on girls during the stay).

While the PBR price during the high season is nowhere as attaractive as the low season one, it still is within the range I envision. The problem I have with PBR is that the pool is jus too small to be able to swim. You can lay around in the water, but not swimm for more than a couple strokes. In addition, I suppose that with the sale coming up, the personals there will understandable be more concerned about their future than about customers.

So I'm of a mind to try a new hotel.

Here are the criteria I consider mandatiry (in no particular order):

Guest friendly, with no joiner fee, of course

In the 1000 to 1500 baht/nigh range (preferably including taxes and breakfest, but that's not a deal breaker)

Not too far from the main baht bus courses

With safe and wifi in the room (NOT lobby only)

With a swimming pool big enough to swim.

Not too noisy, as I like to sleep at night (that probably rules out anything on Walking Street)

Of course, all the normal hotel ammenities, room done everyday, change of bed linen, breakfest, laundry service.....

In short, I'd like something like the PBR with a better swimming pool or like Mamaison but a bit cheaper.

After a bit of check, I am considering:

Nature view hotel (however, I am not sure it meets my criteria; their website is not clear)

Areca Lodge

Carlton Pattaya

Charming Inn (again, I am not sure it meets my criteria; their website is not clear)

Flipper lodge

Diana Inn (again, I am not sure it meets my criteria; their website is not clear)

Eastiny seven (superior room for the safe), or should I try another one in the group/ The website is not clear

Sawasdee siam

INN house ( a bit higher than I want to pay, when breakfest is computed in)

Jasmine hotel

Sabai Inn (again, I am not sure it meets my criteria; their website is not clear)

Sunview place

BJ Holiday lodge

Welcom Plaza hotel (again, I am not sure it meets my criteria; their website is not clear)

Windy Inn (again, I am not sure it meets my criteria; their website is not clear)

As you can see, this is quite a number and I don't really know what to chose, so I hope to turn to people who have experienced these. What are the advice from the board members? Should I go with one of these or do you know of a better one? Are there some which do not fill my criteria? What states are the hotels in?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Another solution is to use the hotels swimmingpool without living there. Or rooftop on Mike Shopping Mall.

Last christmas I stayed at a guesthouse without swimmingpool, but used the rooptop swimmingpool at Tim Boutique for 100 baht inkl one softdrink and towel. Maybe it's for free at other hotels, if you buy drinks or food.

try sandy springs , google for their site, meets all ur requirements there, the best i have ever stated

p.s. never even by mistake go to inn house even if they offer the hotel for free, most pathetic stay

love you patts

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of check, I am considering:

(...)

Carlton Pattaya

Aaaaahhhh Carlton Pattaya...

One of the worst so called "quality" hotel I've stayed at.

There is one thing great at least: its name!

Carlton...don't you immediately think about quality? I did... The pictures on their website are not so bad either.

But the dream stops at the reception.

Booking not found, papers everywhere, stock of old and new safes stored in a corner, concessions closed, the feeling of an end-of-era hotel...

Then the rooms: I visited 4 rooms before accepting one, more because I wanted to rest than because of its charm! The doors leading to the terrace did not close, but when I say not close, I don't mean di not lock. No no, they did not close, there is a joint of a few centimeters to allow flies to come and beat you at night! I had the feeling that I was in the middle of Africa, in an old glory...

The swimming pool was maybe the best bit, it was sunny until mid-afternoon.

It was my first visit, and certainly my last...

But feel free to have a try, if you want ;-)

• 3 months later...

Aaaaahhhh Carlton Pattaya...

One of the worst so called "quality" hotel I've stayed at.

There is one thing great at least: its name!

Carlton...don't you immediately think about quality? I did... The pictures on their website are not so bad either.

But the dream stops at the reception.

Booking not found, papers everywhere, stock of old and new safes stored in a corner, concessions closed, the feeling of an end-of-era hotel...

Then the rooms: I visited 4 rooms before accepting one, more because I wanted to rest than because of its charm! The doors leading to the terrace did not close, but when I say not close, I don't mean di not lock. No no, they did not close, there is a joint of a few centimeters to allow flies to come and beat you at night! I had the feeling that I was in the middle of Africa, in an old glory...

The swimming pool was maybe the best bit, it was sunny until mid-afternoon.

It was my first visit, and certainly my last...

But feel free to have a try, if you want ;-)

second you mate!.............. give this so-called hotel a wide, wide berth.

I stay at view talay 1 or 2, towards jomteim, but it's on the baht bus route, only 10baht. can get a condo for two weeks for around 9000. nice pool and you have cooking in your room

Windy inn has an awesome swimming pool, own section of beach, decent food (just remember to pay as you eat, bad experience with final bill).

Although on Walking Street, you will not hear the noise , as its more a less at the end.

Girl friendly and 1000baht a night,

Highly recomended.

I raccomend baan souy resort, beautifull location in jomtien 5 min from walking s. And beach.

Www.baansouy.com

Great thread, I'm in the exact same position. Always sayed at Pattaya Beach Resort but looking for a change now. It's a good hotel but in peak March when I'm planning next trip the price is quite high.

I stayed at PBR during the last week of Oct. for the low season rate of 999 bt, and during the low season, when you pay 6 nites you get the 7th nite free, so it's 856bt + 60bt for 7% tax that they charge = 916bt per nite.But after Nov. 1st they want 1400 + 98 tax so 1500 a nite, and that's a 64% price jump for high season for the same room. So I moved down the street, down Soi 15 Buakhao around the corner of PBR, to Nature View hotel, the rooms were 1000 street view balcony, and 1050 with the pool view balcony with tax included, so I stayed at Nature View for the next 2 weeks, the rooms were not much different than the PBR except the shower had no curtain, I did't like that very much since you get water splashed all over. And PBR had a room safe and Nature View had only the ones at the front desk, they seemed sufficient.