IGNORED

Canterbury Tales Cafe

Pictorial Reviews

I had the opportunity Tuesday morning to sit down with Dave of Canterbury Tales Cafe and speak with him about his hotel over coffee. Below are the details I learned, accompanied by photographs. I hope you all will find this useful when determining where to stay while visiting Pattaya, and I encourage those who've had the opportunity to stay in the hotel to add their personal experiences while a guest at that establishment.

Ever expanding after opening in 2005, Canterbury Tales Cafe has 18 rooms spread amongst 4 buildings. It's located in the up-and-coming area centering around Soi LK Metro, on Soi Chaiyapoon, near the intersection of Soi Boukaew on the left hand side. For those not familiar with Soi Chaiyapoon, it is one soi north of Soi Lenke, and runs between Soi Boukaew and Pattaya 3rd Road. In the immediate area (walking distance), you have a Subway, a large amount of massage parlors, salons, gold shops, 7-11s, Family Marts, Thai food street carts, Agogos, beer bars, and a coyote bar to even things out. Some of the more popular businesses in the area are Devil's Den, Club Blue, Sugar Sugar Agogo, Submarine Agogo, MASH Agogo, Oasis Agogo, Champagne Agogo, Pook Bar (ladyboys), The Golf Club, Thai-Ger Golf, The Bunker Golf Society, and Mike's Shopping Mall.

For those venturing further out than walking distance, the hotel is about as close a hotel can be to a baht bus route without being on a baht bus route. Soi Boukaew has baht busses running both north and south, making getting around from the hotel to the party areas quite easy. If you're more comfortable on your own set of wheels, there are many motorbike rental places nearby, and even a car rental company.

As you can imagine, being located in this popular area results in many bookings. I attempted to book a room here before on short notice, only to end up having to look elsewhere. So, it's advisable to book early if that's an option for you.

The first thing that caught my attention about the hotel is the bookstore, open from 8am to 8pm. The hotel is well-advertised and while I'd heard it had a bookstore, I couldn't have possibly imagined just how many books they have available. Although specializing in English titles, they also have a good collection of Dutch, German, French, and Scandinavian titles, as well as a limited selection of Russian, Spanish, and Italian titles. Being an avid reader, I really wish I'd of looked into this earlier.

The second thing to catch my attention were the tables arranged near the front of the business. While there are tables available further back, tables arranged in the front makes for better people watching. It also made me wonder about the type of food served. Keeping the same hours as the bookstore, 8am to 8pm, the restaurant serves both western and Thai food, as well as an all-day English breakfast consisting of 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon plus sausage, tomato, beans, toast, and Marmalade. To drink, you'll get orange juice, and tea or coffee. Cost of the breakfast is just 90 THB, which is a steal no matter what your home currency is doing against the Thai baht. Room service is offered and there are menus in each room.

For those wanting to swim, Mike's Shopping Mall (10-minute walk) has a pool on it's roof, but the LK Metropole hotel on nearby Soi Diana (5-minute walk) allows the use of their pool for 100 THB per day. In addition, for those wanting some exercise, LK Metropole's gym is available for 100 THB per day.

The main building (A), that in which the restaurant and bookstore is located, has CCTV cameras. Building C has 2 doors one must go though, the first being an electronic keycard entry door, and the second being a standard room door. In addition, every room has an electronic safe.

Those partaking in activities of the flesh will be pleased to know Canterbury Tales Cafe is girl friendly. It does not have joiner fees, no matter the amount of women you opt to take back to your room. You also have a degree of discretion since obviously you're not going to be seen by many people going in and out of your room with however many ladies, or ladyboys, if you're staying in a room located in buildings B, C, or D. As for building A, there's a backdoor if you don't want to parade your bar fined companion through the front.

Moving onto the rooms, they all have free wifi internet connection, air conditioning, cable television, DVD player, fan, refrigerator, kettle, and a table with chairs. Most rooms also have a sofa and balcony.

There are two sizes of rooms. The smaller rooms are all similar to the room in the photographs below. Most other rooms are larger (approximately 45 square meters). The reason for that is many adjoining walls separating 2 rooms were knocked out making 2 rooms into 1 room. Dave said this was done so he could offer larger, more comfortable rooms, even if it meant he had less rooms to rent out as a result. As most mongers are on a budget, I've chosen to document a smaller room. This will give you all an idea of what the lowest priced room looks like, and you'll know it only gets better from there.

The hotel's high season is from December 1st until March 1st, shorter than others I've seen in which they've tacked on a month before and after those dates. Discounts are offered for stays of at least 2 weeks, with a higher discount for stays of at least 1 month. The exact amount of those discounts will be discussed with customers upon inquiring about a booking. In addition, a 10% discount is offered to Pattaya-Addicts members who have signed up for at least a 1-year Power User membership (available to advanced members). That discount is not valid with any other discounts and will need to be verified by a P-A moderator or administrator (easily done).

As is common for long-stays, a 6 THB per unit charge for electricity is applied to guests staying at least 1 month. The electric meter is in a location viewable to guests so they can check their usage on occasion, should they wish to do so. There's no additional charge for water.

The room photographs below are of room 4 in building C. Building C is located approximately 50 meters from building A on Soi Chaiyapoon towards Pattaya 3rd Road on the right.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

23.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

24.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

If this all sounds and looks good to you, you can inquire about prices and book a room by contacting Canterbury Tales Cafe at the below phone numbers, email, or website.

Phone: +66 (0)38-720-946

Phone: +66 (0)86-575-4966

Email: [email protected]

Website: www.canterburytalescafe.com (Website Undergoing Updates)

Even if you opt to stay elsewhere on your vacation, I would encourage you to visit the bookstore if you're a regular reader, or are just looking for a book to pass the time on your return flight.

Mission: to assist Pattaya-Addicts members by providing facts and photos of local businesses, thereby allowing them to better choose the establishments where they'd like to spend their time and money.

Are you a business owner who would like an information and pictorial thread about your establishment (hotel, Agogo, beer bar, restaurant, etc)? If so, send me a private message listing a contact name and phone number so we can schedule an appointment at a time convenient for you.

Very well written. I have used their accomodation 2 times before and I think this is a VERY good review of the place !

Looks like this is indeed a good idea for the forum, and i'm looking out for the next review.

Cheers for the review.

Could i just suggest inclusion of a price range from low season to high season for every hotel.

Cheers for the review.

Could i just suggest inclusion of a price range from low season to high season for every hotel.

Hi Aussie Wolf. I refrained from including prices due to them fluctuating based on low, high, and peak seasons, as well as other reasons. While that information would be beneficial, I'd like the reviews to stay current for as long as possible.

That being said, the owner/operator of the hotel is a member of Pattaya-Addicts and perhaps can post up his prices for you. For future reviews, I will do the initial review without the prices, and then in the very next post of the thread list the prices as of the date of the review, letting people know they may fluctuate.

Thanks for reading and for the suggestion. I hope I've come up with a satisfactory way to include the information you'd like to see.

Mission: to assist Pattaya-Addicts members by providing facts and photos of local businesses, thereby allowing them to better choose the establishments where they'd like to spend their time and money.

Are you a business owner who would like an information and pictorial thread about your establishment (hotel, Agogo, beer bar, restaurant, etc)? If so, send me a private message listing a contact name and phone number so we can schedule an appointment at a time convenient for you.

Hi 'Review4You' (if that's your real name). Looking forward to seeing you next month for a whinge & brekkie 2. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

Cheers for the review.

All rates Aussie are on the website, must Thanks you guys for the review, very well laid out & I look forward to following this thread with reviews of many more. one small note; English breakfast consisting of 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon or should read + sausage, tomato, beans,

Cheers Dave

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

All rates Aussie are on the website, must Thanks you guys for the review, very well laid out & I look forward to following this thread with reviews of many more. one small note; English breakfast consisting of 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon or should read + sausage, tomato, beans,

Cheers Dave

Now that's a breakfast that's not going to leave you hungry. Correction made and I'll see you again soon!

From a practical point of view, did you actually stay there or just visit?

As stated in the first sentence of the review, I sat down with Dave (owner/operator) to speak about his establishment. In other words, I did not stay there myself. However, those who've stayed there are encouraged to post any thoughts they have about their stay at the hotel, as BM doctorsam17 did.

Sorry if the way I wrote it caused you any confusion. Cheers!

As stated in the first sentence of the review, I sat down with Dave (owner/operator) to speak about his establishment. In other words, I did not stay there myself. However, those who've stayed there are encouraged to post any thoughts they have about their stay at the hotel, as BM doctorsam17 did.

Sorry if the way I wrote it caused you any confusion. Cheers!

So in effect it's not a hotel review, unless you would consider a restaurant review by someone who never actually ate any food to be a fair judgement?

So in effect it's not a hotel review, unless you would consider a restaurant review by someone who never actually ate any food to be a fair judgement?

No but a fucking good way of getting a years free breakfast !

Just noticed the other thread with similar comments, it's good of the OP to give up his time but, frankly, a hotel review by a non guest is worthless if not laughable.

Just noticed the other thread with similar comments, it's good of the OP to give up his time but, frankly, a hotel review by a non guest is worthless if not laughable.

The idea is to provide pictures and information on the establishments. I apologise if the OP has offended you with offering the forum content. He stated that he hadn't stayed there.

I expect to see alot of reviews coming soon, and I think its unfair to ask the OP to stay at each hotel. The idea is to capture pictures of the rooms and amenities.

The review is well written, objective and informative, far beyond quite a few of the reviews on the board by guest who actually stayed on a hotel or the hotel owner himself. Thanks R4Y keep'm coming and look forward to next review.

The idea is to provide pictures and information on the establishments. I apologise if the OP has offended you with offering the forum content. He stated that he hadn't stayed there.

I expect to see alot of reviews coming soon, and I think its unfair to ask the OP to stay at each hotel. The idea is to capture pictures of the rooms and amenities.

I wasn't suggesting anything underhand, merely pointing out you can't review ANYTHING without having tested it PERSONALLY. To suggest otherwise is plain silly and insulting the intelligence of your members !

The review is well written, objective and informative, far beyond quite a few of the reviews on the board by guest who actually stayed on a hotel or the hotel owner himself. Thanks R4Y keep'm coming and look forward to next review.

Of course it's objective, the OP has no personal opinion as he never even stayed there ! This is plain silly, I think sycophantic sentiments are clouding common sense here. If another board member came on and reviewed a hotel he'd never stayed in you would think him a lunatic and you would be right.

I wasn't suggesting anything underhand, merely pointing out you can't review ANYTHING without having tested it PERSONALLY. To suggest otherwise is plain silly and insulting the intelligence of your members !

The members are intelligent enough to make their own minds up, its only a hotel, its not a car or boat, this thread is getting ruined now. He has stated he never stayed there, I don't see the problem... he hasn't lied about anything! I am on your back because someone has spent hours doing a review and he is getting attacked because he hasn't lied down on the bed for 8 hours while asleep.

You have had you say, lets let the thread get back on track, please NO more thread fucking, I will remove any more posts of the sort.

A picture paints a thousand words! I found the review very well written and comprehensive.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

I agree that reviewing a guest-house which you haven't stayed in, especially based on a short conversation with the owner, is about as useful as a soluble condom.

However, I stayed at CT (in room 12A) a couple of years ago & was happy with the room & service. It ain't the Ritz but it doesn't claim to be, it's marketed as a budget guest-house. You get a lot included in the price that you would pay extra for, or would not get, in a hotel.

Yes I know Dave the owner but he & others on the forum know that I pull no punches when reviewing Pattaya businesses. mate or no mate! Take a look at my 'sausage wars' topic (won the war there) & I think Dave should review his utility pricing policy IMO.

I like the place because it has a friendly atmosphere & the breakfasts are great value, plus it's located on a great soi with many 'amenities'.

My only regret is that his 400B rooms are booked LT! :What:

sgu_banner.gif

The number of benefits for the board members are endless.

One VERY VERY beneficial fact is that members get to see what rooms really look like and NOT pics which hotel chose to put up.

Those pics which Review4you puts up are as recent as possible, while pics shown on hotel websites may well be 10 years old.

Those who do not agree with a method, can always do their own research and hope that reviews they find are actually from genuine writer's who actually stayed in the hotel.

Others can take the FREE information and benefit from it.

Yes one can not provide valid review about the restaurant food without eating it, but that very same review is very helpful if you know the prices and food selection and what food actually looks like.

If restaurant goes into fine detail to make your food look good, chances are the taste is not going to be too bad neither

What an excellent well written review. Thank you for taking the time to visit and report, it is much appreciated.

Hopefully if this catches on we'll have a comprehensive list compiled.

Again thanks for your time.

thank you for this very detailed examination,pity that the discount is just for advanced member but hopefully soon become :Cross_Fingers: .I will follow your report carefully ground to prepare for my trip in November.Is it possible to have the ratio of hotel closer to the WS please et :001_Thank_You5: for the work you do,even though I had doubts at the beginning of your business :P

I have not used their rooms but i have had their breakfast which was very good,

They have an extensive library and i beleive WIFI.

I have also met the proprietor, Dave who seem a nice lad and makes you feel welcome.

fred..

You dont think members that have actually stayed there will now add to the thread?

FFS the bloke is providing a service yet all you can do is bitch.

Archived