IGNORED

Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai

volt

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question which im hoping is in the right section/thread.

A few mates and i will be doing a trek around Thailand, and are interested in taking two days out to scooter around the north of Thailand.

We are staying in Chiang Mai, and are thinking of riding to Chiang Rai, then returning the next day (for no other reason then the actual ride).

Is this do-able do u think, or should we allow ourselves more time for the actual ride? Ive tried to research it on Google, but all it comes up with is tours, which were not interested in doing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

The direct Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai is along a 118, which for the most part is a very busy, dangerous and too fast for a scooter. For alot of the way you would be forced to use the "motorbike lane" avoiding all sorts of hazards. It would be a long ride there and back in 2 days.

Starting from either locations, IMO, the best roads are to the west, going to and along the Burma border.

It can be done on a scooter, but something slightly bigger like a Kawasaki D-Tracker 250cc is much better.

This site has the best info and buy one of their maps if you are serious (available at many locations in CR and CM)

http://www.gt-rider.com/

Edited by ingo67

Thanks so much for the info ingo67.

I'm not that experienced on Scooters, so I think it might be best to leave this out of things im going to do whilst there.

Thanks again for ur knowlegable post.

I remember all too well the bus ride going through Chiang Rai on the way to Chiang Mai. I was on one of those buses with no A.C., and sections of the road go through a lot of twists and turns. I almost puked, and felt nauseous until we reached Chiang Mai. Horrible.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

• 8 months later...

My post is a little late for the first poster but i rented a Honda CBR250R in Chaing Mai from Mr Mechanic. We did a day long ride up north and made a loop. My friend had a Honda Steed 400cc. When I let him try the CBR, I had a devil of a time getting it back. Even in the city, the CBR was not much of a problem. But what a kick in the pants on the tight winding roads up north in the hills.

If I had a "real" crotch rocket, 650cc and bigger, I could have gotten myself in trouble easier.

To echo what many others have said. Need to be extra extra extra careful on Thai roads. " Might Makes Right " in Thailand