IGNORED

DSL Service - bring my own router ?

swissbanker

When I subscribe to any DSL service such as 3BB can I bring my own DSL router or do I need to use one supplied by them ?

I want to bring my own AVM Fritzbox which combines DSL, VoIP, DECT in one box ...

• 3 weeks later...

Generally the bundled routers come preconfigured as much as possible and are easier to setup.

Ive herd good things about the Fritzbox - if you have time to fiddle around..once its setup right its the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Different ISP's will have differing policies. They should never "impose" a modem/router on you (it would be a very poor business model) as it would never attract customers who have existing hardware. No company could afford to "discriminate" against potential consumers in such an aggressive and dynamic market as ISP. I hope this makes sense but it is self resolving and logical when you think about it. A specific street food vendor isn't about to make you buy chopsticks to eat....

Different ISP's will have differing policies. They should never "impose" a modem/router on you (it would be a very poor business model) as it would never attract customers who have existing hardware. No company could afford to "discriminate" against potential consumers in such an aggressive and dynamic market as ISP. I hope this makes sense but it is self resolving and logical when you think about it. A specific street food vendor isn't about to make you buy chopsticks to eat....

When I moved into my new house I had the choice between:

1. True, with no information in English on their website or English speaking operatives in their call centres.

2. Buddy Broadband, who again had no info on their website.

3. 3BB who had an excellent website in English, with a simple explanation of their different plans.

All were offering the same speed for the same price but 3BB wanted 1000B for a wireless router, whereas the others were offering it 'rent free' for a year; I went with 3BB.

sgu_banner.gif

• 1 month later...

It is quite easy to set-up your router to work with Thai ISP's

All the settings are generally available online by google.. like "TOT ADSL VPI VCI settings"

However you will need to get your username and password from the provider.

The provider will normally give you the technical settings, however it may not be worded excatly as your router will ask.

Did anyone else read the title as Dick Sucking Lips Service?

It wasn't until I read what section it was in that I thought differently.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand