IGNORED

Reading magazines on Kindle

SlowlyMan

Most of my favorite monthlies have stopped print production in favor of digital.

I'm not up for spending the money for a good tablet.

Does anybody know if Kindle will except magazine downloads from outside Amazon.

Say from Zinio or similar

From Zinio's help section:

Q: Is the Zinio Reader comptible with Linux, iPhone, Kindle, Blackberry, or any PDA?

A: The online (web browser) version of the Zinio Reader is compatible on systems with Adobe Flash 9 or higher installed. Linux users can use this version. The offline version of the Reader, which you can use whether or not you're connected to the internet, is currently compatible with Windows (2000/XP/Vista) and Mac OS (10.3 or higher). An initial release of the Zinio Reader for Apple iPhone and iTouch is now available and can be downloaded from the iPhone App Store. The Zinio Reader is not compatible with Windows Mobile, Blackberry (or other PDA's) or reading devices such as the Kindle, Nook, or Sony Reader.

You'll have to find a site that downloads in Kindle's format or .pdf. Also, I would reccomend downloading caliber which can convert any ebook or .pdf format into another.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

Yes, the Kindle will accept Kindle format docs and PDF's. PDF documents are supported but it really is not a ideal device for non amazon content.

For PDF documents, getting the formatting correct on the screen is very annoying. I find it almost impossible to find a view that i'm not constantly hitting buttons. Also of course for magazines there is no colour screen.

The last time I checked the Kindle did not support Zinio. I don't expect amazon to support Zinio in the future either because amazon really make their money from content sales, not the device itself. Hence they make it a difficult as possible to put non amazon content on.

LuckyMisfit

Edited by Lucky Misfit

I'm here for a fun time not a long time!  

• 1 month later...

Just spent an hour searching Tucom for a decent ebook reader.. the only thing I could find was a 'Greenbook', from Taiwan. It really was bad.

Any ideas where I can find a decent ebook reader in Pattaya? Just want PDF functionality and the ability to read in the sun.

• 4 weeks later...

I searched pattaya, Bangkok, kl and Singapore and couldn't find one. Eventually ordered kindle from amazon. Mind you it shat itself after only two months usage...

• 3 weeks later...

If you are on a budget check out the new Amazon fire.

--- Is it in yet?