Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Traffic ticket

THguypattaya

Hi guys so I got a ticket for going the wrong way on a one way street(scooter), police took my international driving permit and told me to pay fine at the station. But the permit is expiring so I didn't go to the station. Now I am at home but the next time I go back will there be more trouble for me if I get stopped? will they remember me I mean I will have a new permit by then. But will they go after the place where I rented the bike and ask them to pay the ticket? anyways such a small ticket I won't have trouble getting in or out of the immigration right?

btw what will happen to you if you got stop by the police and you got no driving permit? I think a lot of thai and tourist riding Scooters around like that

Yea that would be interesting to know what would happen if you ended up not showing up and paying the fine.

Last trip my barfine was taking me around the city on her moped. I was riding on the back. We were flagged down by a cop on second road due to me not having a helmet, and the cop wanted some ID from me. All I had was my state driver's license so he confiscated that and wrote a ticket. The only thing the cop had was my license, so in a hypothetical situation if it were a fake one there's no way to really keep tabs on me I suppose. But the thing is I think foreigners/tourists are supposed to have their passports with them at all times, so maybe I was lucky he didn't bust me on that.

Anyways we went to the station and then my barfine found out that he also busted her for driving down the wrong way, which was absolute B.S. From his vantage point all along second road we did not go the wrong way at all. So ended up paying I think it was 1900 baht. Went back to the cop with the 'receipt' and he gave me back my license.

I've heard though that some places they are starting to equip traffic cops with hand held electronic devices that transmit traffic stops and citations automatically to the station in real time.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Yep it is LAW Passport must be carried at ALL times however most of us do not do this and carry a copy but if the Cop was over Zealous they could screw you over.

Nothing to stop Cops getting details off your Licence and the system placing a Ban next time you return to Thailand. It is possible with some over zealous Jobsworth in an Office tracking details down.

Be stopped a few times Helmet not on Speeding etc always paid up and seems to be IMO the Bent ones keeping Licences etc.

Be sure your Sins will find you out !!!

And you don't want to be found out after a 20 hr Flight at Customs 55555

Yep it is LAW Passport must be carried at ALL times however most of us do not do this and carry a copy but if the Cop was over Zealous they could screw you over.

Nothing to stop Cops getting details off your Licence and the system placing a Ban next time you return to Thailand. It is possible with some over zealous Jobsworth in an Office tracking details down.

Be stopped a few times Helmet not on Speeding etc always paid up and seems to be IMO the Bent ones keeping Licences etc.

Be sure your Sins will find you out !!!

And you don't want to be found out after a 20 hr Flight at Customs 55555

Yea I had a copy of my passport with me but the cop wanted something else and only had my driver license so he took it.

I guess it all depends on if the cop or someone at the station enters in the information from the international permit into their database and shows if the person paid the fine or not. Then next time you are stopped it might be an issue. Not sure how much further it goes than that to include customs maybe some experts out there know. I would say the best bet would be someone familiar with law enforcement or even some of those places that offer thai legal advice you see on the internet.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

What was the amount 200-400 B? I'd have paid it before leaving. Why go through the all the mental stress for a couple of dollars?

I got a ticket the 1st day, red light, I didn't know how they worked yet. Paid on the spot to a different officer

who gave me a reciept, I was stopped by the same cop about an hour later without a helmet.

He asked where in the US I was from, then he said get out of here, so I did, without the helmet. 1 block.

That was before I knew they can only give you 1 ticket per day.

Hi guys so I got a ticket for going the wrong way on a one way street(scooter), police took my international driving permit and told me to pay fine at the station. But the permit is expiring so I didn't go to the station. Now I am at home but the next time I go back will there be more trouble for me if I get stopped? will they remember me I mean I will have a new permit by then. ....................

As they now have all your home details etc, I would expect a visit from Interpol any time soon. rolleyes.gif

I'm surprised they settled for your $5 IDP, which is pretty meaningless. They usually want your Actual Driving Licence or Passport or even hold the bike.

For those confusing an IDP with an IDL (whatever that is) an IDP is just a translation not a Licence to drive.

Best that can happen to you is they threw your ticket and international drivers licence into the too hard bin. Worst that can happen is that they logged your name into their computers and when you arrive into Thailand at immigration they lock you in a cell to rot whilst they decide what to do with you.

Regardless what the fine was unless you intend never to come back to Thailand then you pay the damn thing, no point in screwing with a system that is renowned for screwing people over. Putting yourself in a position to have a target painted on your back just because you didn't want to pay a small fine WTF!

Many years ago I had a mate that went to the US and got a fine over there, he ignored it until they sent him a letter saying if he doesn't pay it the next time he touches American soil he will be arrested. He paid it shortly after that.

How it will pan out for you I have no idea but my guess is that this might happen a lot and if I was a policeman here with a pile of unpaid tickets because the tourist jumped country and didn't bother about it I will mark the person's name down for immigration to grab them the next time they pop up.

How it will pan out for you I have no idea but my guess is that this might happen a lot and if I was a policeman here with a pile of unpaid tickets because the tourist jumped country and didn't bother about it I will mark the person's name down for immigration to grab them the next time they pop up.

Given that is a possibility, if the OP is stressing then FWIW, if he still has the ticket he could mail or scan/email it to someone on the ground and Paypal (whatever) him the Baht to pay it I suppose.

Pay the fine somehow !

A business acquaintance of mine apparently did not pay a fine in Malaysia. Next time he landed in Kuala Lumpur he was detained by Airport Police for being 'wanted' for non-payment of fines. Kept in custody until he had paid a substantial fine.

Same sort of system works in the UK, if you do not pay a fine you are on the computer as wanted. The police check the lists of incoming passengers then you are arrested on arrival.

Never ignore the BiB they have ways to mess you up big time.

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

thanks guys.

I am home already, will the police go after the bike rental and ask them to pay the fine? if that's the case then I will just pay the bike rental the next time I am over. If not and I will probably have trouble entering Thailand again according to you guys? even if it's just a 600 baht traffic ticket? then maybe I will paypal the police station or somehow make the payment.

Doubt they will go for the company.

Try e-mailing or writing and tell them how you forgot to pay or something like that. It would be bad to be picked up on arrival for your next visit.

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

thanks guys.

I am home already, will the police go after the bike rental and ask them to pay the fine? if that's the case then I will just pay the bike rental the next time I am over. If not and I will probably have trouble entering Thailand again according to you guys? even if it's just a 600 baht traffic ticket? then maybe I will paypal the police station or somehow make the payment.

Am sure some of you guys just love the confrontation !!

Write by special/recorded delivery keeping copies of all correspondance to embassy in your country explaining the "mistake" you made and events overtook you (or something like that) and asking how to make some sort of payment as you dont want to be red flagged at immigration etc etc.

Make sure you get a response.

thanks guys.

Why don't you just scan the ticket and PM it to one of us ?

If we can pay it and send you back a copy of the receipt then you Paypal the money - job done.

I've never paid parking fines in Pattaya, its not my sort of thing! I've had no problems.

I've never paid parking fines in Pattaya, its not my sort of thing! I've had no problems.

Why store up trouble ??

Seems a strange statement to make for someone who's known to every Thai agency (that counts) for being a major part of this forum ? (Sorry no idea who owns it)

Never buck the trend-pay the minor fines and sleep at night !!

Why not ask a legal service in Thailand for an opinion?

That's what I'd do, wouldn't hurt to ask.

http://www.siam-legal.com/

thanks lonely man, contacted the and this is what I got in reply:

"Thank you for contacting Siam Legal International regarding your recent inquiry. there would not be any problem about this, but once you enter thailand, you need to pay it right then, and of course a penalty fee for the delay of payment."

does he mean pay the immigration right then? or I should go to the police station and pay it asap?

Why store up trouble ??

Seems a strange statement to make for someone who's known to every Thai agency (that counts) for being a major part of this forum ? (Sorry no idea who owns it)

Never buck the trend-pay the minor fines and sleep at night !!

Yes your right. I should pay them. Some of us just hand them to police friends to get them removed, but I don't want to bother them over small offenses.