IGNORED

Why Pattaya

andyaus

I was interested in the name Pattaya and surprised by the answer

Apparently King Taksin ( was called Phraya Tak) confronted the Burmese army at Pattaya and he impressed the Burmese general Nai Klom so much with the discipline of the troops that the Burmese surrendered without a fight.

This happened at a place called Thap Phraya which was changed to Phatthaya which means “ the wind blowing from the south west to the north east” This wind is the wind in the beginning of the raining season. We now spell the name Pattaya

Thap Phraya is still remembered in the name of the road to Jomtien. (Tappraya Road) which is located where the two armies confronted each other

lanta1_standard.jpg

I guess with the number of blow jobs each day it is appropriate that the town is named after a wind

Edited by andyaus

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Contrary to popular opinion it was wealthy Thais who started to visit Pattaya in the late 50’s.

The idea of a weekend beach hut was alive and well back then.pattaya_pattaya.jpg

gi_01_standard.jpg

Then one day on 29th June 1959 a group of 500 American soldiers stationed at the military base in Korat rented a few beach houses from a prominent Thai, Lord Sunthor and this signifies the beginning of the Pattaya we know today. gi_02_standard.jpg

I would love to have been a fly on the wall watching what went on in those beach houses that triggered the growth of this party town1960_pattaya.jpg

The first hotel, called the Nautical Inn, opened in 1960 and is still in business today. In 1964 the first bar was opened in the Nova Lodge hotel, which is also still open. walking_street_pattaya_1980.jpg

Edited by andyaus

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

The Nautical Inn was one of the first hotels in Pattaya built in 1960

255438_1103011654003813457_STD.jpg

At this time hotel rooms would cost about 50 Cents per night and I believe for another 50 cents you would get a girl to share it with you....Now those were he days

Voltaire

Intresting, untill now I had never wondered how pattaya got its name or what is the history of pattaya. :D So Pattaya was founded quiet differently then I would have imagined.

Pattaya in 1950

pattaya 1950.jpg

Pattaya in 1968

pattaya 1968.jpg

Pattaya today

Pattaya today.jpg

None of these are my pics, I found them on the internet.

Free today - Pay tomorrow

hotel room 700B beer bar lady 700B

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

Love the pics. I wish I could find a whole collection of them.

Thanks for the story. It'd be great to find a place like that these days.

the wind blowing from the south east to the north east

Isn't that just plain north?

thank you for this research always good to know.Patts has changed since the prices also :LMAO1:

Love the pics. I wish I could find a whole collection of them.

Thanks for the story. It'd be great to find a place like that these days.

Isn't that just plain north?

Well spotted,,,,I cut and pasted from a source but obviously the wrong source

Should read

“ the wind blowing from the south west to the north east”

i’d make a shit journalist ,,,

Voltaire

• 4 weeks later...

Nice. Always great learning a bit of history about something. So going to so rule on Jeopardy some day. Will take mongering citys for 2000 Alex.

Enlightening and relatively as is well known. Only one last note: Place where was first bar si not name Nova Lodge already. This hotel on central road changed his name already. I am not sure, but I think to Nova Platinum.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

• 2 weeks later...

nice thread, very interesting, nice pics too

• 3 months later...

:Bump:

For Highlander.

Voltaire

• 3 weeks later...

Nice history lesson for a great city, just got back and already planning next trip

Nice thread thanks for putting it together!

Would also love to learn about the history of the Walking Street Bars like Baby 3 or Caligula's.

The difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less.

• 1 month later...

Really interesting thread thanks for putting it together. Like many others I'd love to see more pics from the start of the pattaya we know today.

Great read and I wonder why I have never searched its history in Google before.

Thanks for posting.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Great read and I wonder why I have never searched its history in Google before.

Thanks for posting.

Just did the same thing, googled Pattaya 1980 in google images. It came up with some really interesting photos.

Picked up a few extra photographs from the past...

Imagine the beach without umbrella

oldpattaya2.jpg

Or Walking Street

oldpattaya5.jpg

Or perhaps some of the hotels

2546252-Bar_in_nova_lodge_Pattaya.jpg Bar in Nova Lodge

2546250-large_garden_Pattaya nautical inn soi 11.jpg

Pool at Nautical Inn Soi 11

Edited by andyaus

Voltaire

Would actually be good to get some historical TRs too...was talking to German guy in Marine Disco last year...it was his first trip in 20 years and he said previously Marine was crammed with a lot more people, crazier atmosphere....

Anyone aware of any threads with this info? Would be fascinating re prices, quality and volume of girls and I suspect the male V female demographics would have been more favourable too...

a little history thx bro