capricorn

Laos - beautiful (but boring) country

capricorn

Laos is a beautiful country. But if you're the kind of guy who enjoys drinking all night and playing pool at JP Bar in the wee hours, this is not really a country for you. Most places close at 10 PM, even in Vientiane. There are a few clubs open at night of course, but this is nothing like Thailand :)

post-34086-0-81455700-1315859682.jpg

post-34086-0-22940700-1315859685.jpg

Buddhas in Luang Prabang.

post-34086-0-89628200-1315859687.jpg

Luang Prabang is an atmospheric city, a sort of "museum city" like Hoi An in Vietnam, a bit lost in time and really photogenic although a bit artificial for me: everything seems to be there to attract tourists looking for an "authentic" experience of south-east Asia...

post-34086-0-50968600-1315859690.jpg

post-34086-0-01040200-1315859693.jpg

The (in)famous alms in Luang Prabang. The monks must feel like animals in a zoo as dozens of tourists (including myself) point their cameras at them and shoot away...

post-34086-0-50410000-1315859695.jpg

post-34086-0-24003100-1315859698.jpg

post-34086-0-89648500-1315859700.jpg

post-34086-0-91121800-1315859705.jpg

Yes, Laos is a very green country!

post-34086-0-38732900-1315859703.jpg

Edited by capricorn

steiner1

I am very impressed with the photo's and thanks for the tip about not going there. I was with a girl from Laos in August and she also said there was nothing doing there.

:001_Thank_You5:

leadpencil

Great photos, remind me of my trip to Laos last August.

As you say, a really beautiful country but pretty boring after being in Thailand. Also relatively expensive, especially Luang Prabang.

capricorn

post-34086-0-16836100-1315860094.jpg

post-34086-0-11378100-1315860097.jpg

The Plain of Jars. Hundreds of huge jars are scattered over a plain and were seemingly used as graves more than 2000 years ago.

post-34086-0-66498000-1315860099.jpg

Pha That Luang in Vientiane.

post-34086-0-06692800-1315860102.jpg

post-34086-0-56685200-1315860105.jpg

The banks of the Mekong in Vientiane. On the other side is Thailand.

post-34086-0-75317900-1315860111.jpg

post-34086-0-25441200-1315860109.jpg

Vang Vieng. Very scenic place: the karst cliffs are reminiscent of Halong Bay. Too bad the town has become a meeting point for the so-called young backpackers who never interact with the local population and always stay in their own circles.

Edited by capricorn

Edge

Looks like a nice bike ride. smile.gif

capricorn

Great photos, remind me of my trip to Laos last August.

lol, seems like we had a pretty similar itinerary this summer. I was in Patts in July than I went to Laos in August and finally back to Pattaya in late August :)

capricorn

Looks like a nice bike ride. smile.gif

Oh yeah, it's true you enter "Easy Rider" mode very easily :) Lots of people ride through Laos, it sure is a great ride but I'm personally not confident enough. Riding in Vietnamese cities is pretty much my limit :)

The road from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng must be a great bike ride: more than 100 km of mountain passes, breath-taking landscape but very narrow and dangerous road with a real risk of death at every corner. I saw some crazy farang riding there though, they were doing around 50-60 mph on trail bikes on that road (if you fall, you die 300 meters below, if you crash into a bus around the corner, you die too :) )

Edited by capricorn

brewster

Laos is not only about Vientiene and the North. There's lots to do and see in the South, although like Northern Laos, it's not the most exciting part of the world if it's girls and P4P you're after!

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/68977-visit-to-pakse-ban-saphai-in-southern-laos

John McClain

Great mate ... Love yor pics... Very impressive for having taked with a P&S.

benny31

Nice bunch of great pics capricorn.

Like the "traction avant Citröen" on the 3rd pic.

Thanks for posting.

andyaus

Hey great pictures...I have this place on my must see list.

The Serenity that you have captured in your photographs belies the recent history of the place.

The USA conducted over 580,000 bombing missions over 9 years and dropped over 2 million tons of ordinance on Laos. Over 30% of these did not explode and 25% of the villages in Laos are still considered “contaminated” with un-exploded ordinance. Since the end of the Vietnam war over 20,000 people have been maimed or killed from these bombs.. There were 80 Million cluster bombs left in Laos after the war. every day more bombs explode in different parts of the country...There is more chance of getting blown up in Laos than in Afghanistan.

At the end of the war the Hmong people, who fought with the US troops to prevent the communist takeover, were left to fend for them selves so behind the Serenity there is some serious ethnic cleansing taking place.

This is not the place to debate the rights and wrongs but perhaps when we look at these beautiful picture we can be aware of the cost that these people have paid and the fear they live with daily.

Beautiful ...definitely

Boring... I hope so

Scary... without doubt

capricorn

Laos is not only about Vientiene and the North. There's lots to do and see in the South, although like Northern Laos, it's not the most exciting part of the world if it's girls and P4P you're after!http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/68977-visit-to-pakse-ban-saphai-in-southern-laos

Yes, I know but I only had enough time for the classic northern route (Huay Xai to LP by slow boat, Phonsavan, Vang Vieng and Vientiane.

:001_Thank_You5:Great mate ... Love yor pics... Very impressive for having taked with a P&S.

These were actually taken with a Nikon D5100 :) I've used many different cameras: P&S in Vietnam and Cambo, D3000 in Myanmar and D5100 in Laos :)

capricorn

Hey great pictures...I have this place on my must see list.

The serenity that you have captured in your photographs belies the recent history of the place.

The USA conducted over 580,000 bombing missions over 9 years and dropped over 2 million tons of ordinance on Laos. Over 30% of these did not explode and 25% of the villages in Laos are still considered “contaminated” with un-exploded ordinance. Since the end of the Vietnam war over 20,000 people have been maimed or killed from these bombs.. There were 80 Million cluster bombs left in Laos after the war. every day more bombs explode in different parts of the country...There is more chance of getting blown up in Laos than in Afghanistan.

At the end of the war the Hmong people, who fought with the US troops to prevent the communist takeover, were left to fend for them selves so behind the serenity there is some serious ethnic cleansing taking place.

This is not the place to debate the rights and wrongs but perhaps when we look at these beautiful picture we can be aware of the cost that these people have paid and the fear they live with daily.

Beautiful ...definitely

Boring... I hope so

Scary... without doubt

Yes, Laos was bombed to a completely mad extent during the "Secret War". There are many NGOs which are cleaning the country and getting rid of cluster bombs and other unexploded ordnances such as MAG

Edited by capricorn

Laoman

I am very impressed with the photo's and thanks for the tip about not going there. I was with a girl from Laos in August and she also said there was nothing doing there.

This is a very silly comment. Those who claim there is nothing to do in Lao do not know Lao at all.

BackintheLOS

Vang Vieng looks amazing. can't wait to make my trip to Laos and Cambodia next year.

dutchboi

You're right about it being boring BUT if it's just for a visa run it's alright.

IF girls is what you're after there is hope yet though...

A few places are open a little longer (2 am I believe and 1 or 2 all night) an they see several girls looking for FUNding showing up. Also there are plenty of street walkers, it's not even close compared to Thailand but it's ok for up to a few nights.

Just look anywhere between the fountain and the streets leading to the river, there is a bar called the rooftop or something that can cater ones needs and there is a disco in a hotel that goes all night

swagman

[

Luang Prabang is an atmospheric city, a sort of "museum city" like Hoi An in Vietnam, a bit lost in time and really photogenic although a bit artificial for me: everything seems to be there to attract tourists looking for an "authentic" experience of south-east Asia...

(/quote]

Hi capricorm,

Since the 1990's I've wished to get myself to Luang Prabang but the Mrs allways had a way of making it less than easy! (she don't like the traveling)

It's a World heratage site I believe - & I didn't know about how you say it's sadly now become, so I'll not be too dissappointed when I do get there.

When I first thought about going you could only fly there as on some of the roads buses were often attacked by Hmong guerrillias -is that still the case?.

BTW, Sharp & well taken pics you've kindly posted. Cheers.

andy666

great pics, thx for posting

capricorn

Since the 1990's I've wished to get myself to Luang Prabang but the Mrs allways had a way of making it less than easy! (she don't like the traveling)

It's a World heratage site I believe - & I didn't know about how you say it's sadly now become, so I'll not be too dissappointed when I do get there.

When I first thought about going you could only fly there as on some of the roads buses were often attacked by Hmong guerrillias -is that still the case?.

Yes, it's a UNESCO world heritage and as such, they must follow certain guidelines. For instance, all the shop signs are wooden and gilded and look the same. While retaining some uniformity, it lacks the chaotic aspect akin to many Asian cities. It's a beautiful city, you can point your camera almost anywhere and you'll make an interesting picture but it looks somewhat artificial to me. The funny thing is that the wooden shop signs are exactly the same in Hoi An, another World Heritage city. Coincidence?

It's very safe now to travel by bus and boat. It's long but scenic.