IGNORED

29 HR FLIGHT!

pieman19132

Damn dude, im happy to live in central europe. Nyc for me is only 8 hrs away and on the opposite side, patts is 12hrs away. Quite cental..

My advice, move to europe or thailand directly :D

I'd rather live in Hawaii than Central Europe!~

9+ hours to Philippines... Another 3 hours to Bangkok......

5 hour to Los Angeles, 10 hours to New York (who cares about being close to NY)

Beautiful Asian women and fantastic weather (about 24 C )all year round here in Hawaii....

What you got in Central Europe?

We're not here for a long time

Just a good time !

NYC to LAX then EVA air to TPE, 2 hours lay over and 3 hours to BKK

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

Ive just returned home in 34 hours door to door but was planning next trip within a few hours of being home.

Its worth it !!

I always fly from NYC as well. Definitely do not go for the 29 hour travel time connection-you should be aiming for something in the ball park of 20-24 hrs max. Those flights usually connect in Tokyo, Seoul or Hong Kong, and the shortest trips are often via Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific, which actually happens to be a pretty good airline (sounds like that is the connection you are currently considering). I would definitely not recommend going via the West Coat, it will take 6 hours to fly there, and another 18 hrs to BKK, not counting the layover time, wheras if you go directly to Asia, then you will fly the northern route which is quicker.

For me the flight is worth it, although I do arrive feeling half dead (I have a very hard time sleeping on the plane).Oh, and price-wise aim for something in the ballbark of USD 1200 plus minus 100, anything more is unreasonable unless you are flying in the summer.

Thanks guys I haven't book my flight as of yet. Still looking for a better deal and shorter route. The 29hr flight time I got from expedia website. I found another route this one from NY to Hong kong(15h)4hr layover then from Hong Kong to BKK (2hr) got it down to 21-22hr flight time now....

Try Vayama. Always seem to be the best prices international.

I just found a flight on Cathay 18 hrs all in $1,400

Edited by SlowlyMan

It's worth it . Even though I live in London and don't have to endure those 29 hour flights trust me knowing what I know I wouldn't think twice about it if I were you

i don't know if this post is too late, but have you tried Continental ewr to nrt to bkk or ewr to hongkong to bkk or finally EVA out of ewr or jfk to taipei to bkk. These flights are about 24 to 25 hrs and prices are good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from my newbie trip and YES!!! 28 hours of travel time is worth it. You wont regret it. Just Do It!!

Half a day journey for me, but it is worth it. I am sure you never forget your newbie trip.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

gee a whole 9 hours for me, tough, 29 hours jeeeeesus must be a shorter routing available.... take a night somewhere on the way.

According to www.quicktrip.com the best times are

New York - Hong Kong - BKK 22 hours with Cathay Pacific

New York - London - BKK 20 hours with British Airways.

A night in either city would not be too much suffering.

Edited by LRanger

If you were willing to spend the extra money it would be as easy to fly across the atlantic to London or Amsterdam and connect there and you can do the route in 19 to 21 hours, best then to fly home eastbound via the pacific or North pole as you will be flying with the jetstream behind you which reduces journey time. Eg. Flights from Ireland to New York can take between 6.5 to 7 hours but New York to Ireland can be done in 5hrs to 5hrs 25mins with a good tailwind. If I was in your situation and had the extra cash I'd take the A380 to Dubai and onwards to Bangkok with Emirates.

Last time I was in LOS I flew, Ireland>London>Abu Dhabi>Bangkok with Etihad and Aer Lingus and it took around 17hours but I slept on the overnight flight from Heathrow so was grand, it was €300 cheaper than flying direct so for a few hours extra travel time I didn't mind. You americans get a raw deal with the cost of flights and the weak dollar!

It is definitely worth the trip but do not use Expedia or another travel site. Look at the airlines websites directly and do not fly with a US carrier! Try Emerates, Qatar, Korean, ANA, Finn Air or Cathay Pacific. I fly out of Washington DC and go Korean most of the time and have a 21 hour flight. One hour layover in Seoul. You can do much better on the routing, much better.

Edited by altec123

Just returned from my Newbie trip. I flew ASIANA Air from Chicago. 14 hr flight to Seoul Korea, 1.5 hr layover, 6 hr flight to Bangkok. $1087.00 USD round trip. I have already started researching my next trip in April, I found that as of now I can get the same price If I book that far in advance.

Yes it's worth it. Just go for it. You won't regret your decision

I'm here for a fun time not a long time!  

As others have said, it's worth it for a long stay but not a short trip.

A good rule of thumb might be one day on the ground for every hour in transit. The flight is murder, especially in coach. When you land you will be tired and jetlagged. It takes some time to recover.

If time and money are an issue, consider a trip to Dominican Republic. POP is 2-3 hours from Miami. I've never been there but I know some Americans go for that instead. Patts is better to be sure, but by all accounts you can have a really good time in DR at comparable rates (lodging, drinks, girls) without the $1500 flight and 30 hour transit time.

Another good suggestion is going during the winter. The long plane ride and expensive ticket are easier to swallow when you know you will be cruising around in shorts and a T-shirt, sunbathing at the pool, etc. instead of shoveling snow and dealing with the bitter cold.

I really don't mind the long flights that much, flying west over the Pacific I only experience jet lag when I come back home so it really doesn't matter.

Yes, for longer trips it`s worth it. I`d not go for a week or two, but trips so far of 30 days, then 88 days, and next 45 days coming here in about a month.

For me to get there:

Total Travel Time:1d 01h 55m - 2 stops - Next Day Arrival (3 flights with 4 hours total layovers)

Return home:

Total Travel Time:23h 13m - 2 stops - Same Day Arrival (3 flights with 3.5 hours total layovers)

It`s amusing that someone thought there`s a direct non-stop from the east coast of the US to Bangkok. That`d be on hell of a 9,500 mile (15,200km) flight.

Peace,

TM

It`s amusing that someone thought there`s a direct non-stop from the east coast of the US to Bangkok. That`d be on hell of a 9,500 mile (15,200km) flight.

Thai Air used to fly non-stop from JFK to BKK.

On 1 May 2005, the airline began a nonstop Bangkok-New York service (TG790/791) with a new A340-500. Citing very high fuel costs, Thai discontinued the JFK service as of July 1, 2008, even though the airline had been able to fill 80% of the seats.

Thai Air used to fly non-stop from JFK to BKK.

On 1 May 2005, the airline began a nonstop Bangkok-New York service (TG790/791) with a new A.340-500. Citing very high fuel costs, Thai discontinued the JFK service as of July 1, 2008, even though the airline had been able to fill 80% of the seats.

Wow, the 14.5 hour flight from Atlanta to either Tokyo or Inchon/Seoul is more than too long as it is!

That had to be a 20 hour flight going to Bangkok.

Peace,

TM

Wow, the 14.5 hour flight from Atlanta to either Tokyo or Inchon/Seoul is more than too long as it is!

That had to be a 20 hour flight going to Bangkok.

Peace,

TM

It was a 17hour flight that went over the North Pole non stop and was the third longest non-stop flight in the world, see http://images.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/108184/ Singapore Airlines have the longest flights from Newark to Singapore and LAX to Singapore with the Airbus A340 at almost 19 hours. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-stop_flight When Airbus's new A350 is launched in 2013 it will be capable of Antipodean flight and will be able to fly non-stop between any two airports on Earth allowing for 20 hour+ non-stop flights between places like London and Auckland or Sydney, the current problem with current aircraft are they burn too much fuel and the fuel cost of hauling all the fuel non-stop half way around the world has been cost prohibitive with the high-oil prices since 2005 which makes it cheaper to fly with a half tank and land half way to refuel and take off again! In the next few years I am sure that ultra long haul routes like JFK-BKK will get re-launched again.

Edited by Winthorp

• 2 weeks later...

I slightly disagree with Some of the replies. It takes me roughly 24hrs each way. I never get Jet lag on the over, only on the way back. To me, Pattaya is such an amazing fun atmosphere/city. I thought it was well worth 48hrs of travel time for a 10 day trip. Granted I would have loved to stay longer, but with current employment /vacation status, it is what I was limited too.

Fellow east coaster. It is well worth it, you will know once you get in town.

I assume JFK. 2 years I have looked at flights JFK has the cheapest, usually $1200 with minimal layovers. I think you are going to see a 22-24 hour travel time at the minimum. Flight times back home are 20% shorter.

You will be sad to leave but you should sleep like a baby on the way home, bodies can only handle so much fucking and booze.

I am a fat kid in a sweet shop, I just cannot choose and want it all.

Planning first trip to LOS. Now guys I live in NY I have to take 3 flights to get to Thailand #1 NY-Detroit (3hr) #2 Detroit-Tokyo (13hr)with 6hr layover #3 Tokyo-Thailand (6hr) is all that travel time worth going to the other side of the world to Pattaya for some THAI PUSSY??????????..Is Pattaya is All what I read,hear and see on youtube?? I read that GROWN men cry when they live Pattaya. I'm just asking IS THIS TRIP WORTH IT???!!!!

About if its worth of course it is. And every BM in here will say the same 5555

Regarding the flight time... Did you choose that schedule stricly because of your budget? I spent 5 minutes checking the schedules through the airline I use most of the time to everywhere (Emirates) and the flight time is more or less 18h30min - JFK>Dubai>Bangkok.