IGNORED

direct flight - new york to thailand

KP96

i'm flying economy class nonstop from new york to thailand on thai airways. anybody been on that flight? how is it? will it be the worst 17 hours of my life? i liked the shorter overall time getting to thailand, but 17 hours straight on a plane in economy class....if someone's done it, please let me know what it was like.

Edited by KP96

I just got back from LOS took Thai airways economy and loved it there is something to be said for direct flight...

Although my flight was LAX to BKK my flight took 17 hours also....

the plane I had had decent leg room I had a window seat so I only had to climb over one person.... I usually fly Cathay and even considered EVA but it was the direct flight helped make my decision! Hope this helps

Edited by Lumbai5

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

Winston Churchill

I took that flight once. It was OK. The next time I tried the "premium economy" section. A bit better and not too much more money.

Rex

wow! 17 hours that's one long flight to sit in economy

I lost the Great Shopper "Joe"

I ALWAYS fly economy (yes, I'm CHEAP), and have flown five different airlines from the US-BKK, but this flight is the BEST!!

Although it's LONG, arriving at 415pm in BKK is REALLY, REALLY nice! In addition, the service is good and having you're own 'personal entertainment center' (in the seat in front of you) makes the time go by.

I ALWAYS fly economy (yes, I'm CHEAP), and have flown five different airlines from the US-BKK, but this flight is the BEST!!

Although it's LONG, arriving at 415pm in BKK is REALLY, REALLY nice! In addition, the service is good and having you're own 'personal entertainment center' (in the seat in front of you) makes the time go by.

I've only flown in economy once (other times worked-related in business or premium economy.) It isn't hard to put up with the trip, but then when I flew economy the flight wasn't anywhere near full so I had a row of seats to myself).

I dividided the trip into three parts, based on meal service (two hot meals and pre-landing snack.) Essentially, I ate, watched the back-of-seat entertainment console or read for an hour, then popped a mild sleeping pill, woke for the next meal service and repeated the routine. Actually, the time went quickly that way. It honestly didn't feel like 17 hours. I slept more than I do at home.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

thanks for the responses so far everyone!

does anyone know what kind of entertainment they have on the plane? i read something about having your own tv screen on the seat in front of you - is that true?

Each seat has its own entertainment center (seatback in front of you). The headphones are free. There are more than a few movies available, as well as current TV shows, games, and a bunch of audio channels. I think I must have watched about four or five movies. You can also watch the flight map and follow the plane on its route. During the flight from Bangkok, the crew asked that the windows be closed, as people would want to sleep but the plane would be flying into the daytime.

Rex

Thai Airways from NY to BKK is the best flight you can get if you look at all the possible connections for east or Midwest USA. Normal travel time on combined carriers is much longer. I have flown Thai now for three or four legs and I would say by far this is a better way to fly the any US based carrier for economy standards. The direct flight from NY is the way to go. You get in straight to BKK. Normally you would have to go through DC, Chicago, LAX (still longer) or Cincinnati. All of those flights average 24 to 27 hours with the lay overs and connections. Example most go through Chicago, IL, DC or to Naritta, Japan. So if you are not in a major city then you will have to take a flight to one then connect in Japan then fly from there to BKK, then do a 1.5 to 2 hrs drive. My experience, go for the Thai flight buy it early and get it for about $1,000 round trip, not including the connecting flight. Always make your own US based flight, buy it separately because if you try to combine it as one, the cost jumps to at least $2500. The cheapest deal I have found was for $790 on Thai round trip. I would go Thai any day of the week for a 14 hour non stop than have to go 24 to 27 hours. Take a look at the combinations using Orbitz or others. By the way you can often go to American Express local travel office and they can find you a good flight fairly cheap and only charge you $30 for helping you. Look closely, plan ahead, especially for holiday flights (plan 5 months min and buy right away).

Looking forward to spending time with friends again and missing Thailand

I've taken this flight twice, and I think it is great. I sat in the premium economy section both times, which I feel is well worth the extra cost (but I am a big guy). While 17 hours is a long time, as others have said the alternate for me is adding 6-10 hours to my total travel time with connections and layovers. I also recently compared the costs for this flight (including a short connection from my home airport) to EVA premium economy (about 9 hours total travel time longer) and found Eva to be several hundred $ higher in cost!

I agree that the key to this flight is sleep....either naturally or with pills! My wakeing time is spent eating, reading and walking around the plane.

The only part I have mixed emotions about is the 12am departure from BKK. It is good in the regards that you are tired at this time, but it is inconvenient if you are staying in a hotel.

thanks for the responses guys. i guess i made a good decision then in picking this flight. i figure if i sleep for 8 hours, it's basically another 8 hours that i have to amuse myself.

I am going to take this flight from NY, im in Detroit but I figure using some Freq. flyer miles domestic to new york and flying premium economy on thai for 17hrs is better than 24 +2 days on NWA which makes you fly to LA and then Taipai before BKK.

I am trying to figure out this premium economy thing though, it seems like the seats are much bigger and the seating is configured like the business classs. Im struggling ot find out why it is only 150 more while business class is 2,000 more?

Because they can! There will always be the traveler that can spend on Business Class...but I think they wanted to capture, a la EVA Air, the typical economy passenger that was willing to pay a little extra for some more comfort, but could not afford the business class fare.

The Business class on this flight has seats that recline 180 degrees to form a bed, with a pretty private area (like 1st class on a 747). While I haven't flown business on this flight, when I worked in Asia I always flew business or 1st. Typically the service and meals are alot better, top shelf booze, stuff like that. While I'd love the comfort of the better seat, not worth the increase in fare if I am paying!

• 2 weeks later...

Last Trip in Feb. Flew Thai premium economy JFK to BKK and economy BKK to LAX on return. Service and leg room and seat comfort well worth the extra couple hundred dollars to fly premium economy. Flight does go by fast with the help of sleeping pill and entertainment. Food was so-so. Will be Flying premium Roundtrip JFK in May $1560 total with all taxes