IGNORED

Renting a bike - You need one of these...

7-Eleven

500 baht in Big C on 2nd road...

Will protect your head a lot more than the standard helmets that come with most rental bikes.

Money well spent IMO

post-11269-0-28040200-1315394577.jpg

post-11269-0-23389900-1315394590.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly looks good for 500bht.

Only problem I can see - the protruding peak would make it difficult to secure under the seat, leave it on your handlebar or basket - it will get stolen.

Certainly looks good for 500bht.

Only problem I can see - the protruding peak would make it difficult to secure under the seat, leave it on your handlebar or basket - it will get stolen.

That's true... It wouldn't fit under the seat on the Airblade I rented so had to hang it off the seat on the little clips when the bike was parked. There were different designs available in Big C though for the same money that would fit under a seat.

A full size helmet like the one shown will fit in the storage area under the seat of a Yamaha Nuovo Elegance. Have been told the Suzuki Hayate is about the same size for storage. Others seem to be too small. Not sure if the better helmets are more likely to get stolen when hanging on the posts under the seat so I prefer to use the Yamaha.

Common sense is not very common.

Well, just clip it on the little thing made for this under the seat.

If it gets stolen, go and spend 500b again. Is your security worth 500b ?

Great idea.

I did not realise they were so cheap either!

I will head to big C on my next trip for sure.

I loved having a bike this time but the helmet was horrible!

If I had an accident I'm sure it would not have saved a head injury.....they are all just so bloody small!

For anyone reading this ALWAYS wear a helmet...the safety reason aside....the police are really cracking down on this at the moment.

I'm glad they are also!

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Do you know if they had full faced ones ?

Open faced are better than the hard hats they provide when renting, but the Big C helmet provides no chin protection.

Remember full faced helmets protect your chin, just added this for those that are really cautious.

Cheers

Full face helmets also offer more protection for the neck,and may be the difference between ending up as a quadraplegic versus paraplegic. (neither being very nice).

Cool helmet for 500 baht…..

People look nasty after thier jaw drags on the asphalt to the bone and some thier teeth breakoff (use plyers to pull the teeth out of the asphalt).

Please get a full face helmet that is DOT / Snell rated or whatever standard you country uses. Make sure that it has high air flow (a lot of vent ports because it is hot in Thailand). Then get a cable lock and lock it to the grab bare on the back of the bike. It also makes it easier to find your motorbike in a sea of bikes that all look similar (If the helmet is bright it is even easier to find your bike).

There were many of times when I came back and someone had moved my helmet but did not steal it due to the cable lock. If you lock a helmet down on the peg it stands a high chance of the strap being cut and stolen. I gave one of my helmets to a BM that moved there before I left. Yep it has been stolen in less than a month (he used the peg).

You can pick up last year model online or a used helmet on eBay. Helmets are cheap online and worth the investment, if you are going to ride on the crazy streets in Pattaya.

Buying a full face helmet does not make the rider a better driver. It just makes it highly more probable that you can walk away, after an accident in one piece (dont think you are invencable after you buy one). Motorbikes are inherently not safe compared to a car and when things go bad they start to cascade very quickly. There is little to no time to correct the problem compare to a car (the guys on TV don’t count. They have tens of thousands of hour on a bike and are in peak condition). Crashing on asphalt sucks and it f*#%ing hurts even with the full-face helmet. God forbid if you go high-side over the bike and it lands on top of you. That sucks more and f*#%ing hurts more.

A reflective helmet head band is also useful if you ride at night and very cheap 3-4 dollars.

If you use a half-helmet make sure to use eye protection. How many people have gotten chips on their windshield or a bug that went splat? Car throw rocks and bugs go splat. You can severely damage or lose an eye and then lose control of the bike. A big problem has just become a huge problem due to natural reflexes.

Half-helmets really don’t work but good luck on getting a BG to wear anything else. I have stood on the side of the road arguing with a BG, “we no leave with no helmet”. Half-helmet trama consists of losing your ear, nose, jaw, teeth, eyes, skin, permanent C1-C7 damage, occipital lobe damage, and frontal lobe damage and etc. Half-helmets just shift to easily and should be discontinued from the market.

This post is meant in the kindest way possible and to get drivers to stop wear the crap that comes with rental bikes. You would not put up with unsafe bike vendor on the forum. So why put up with unsafe safety equipment. Have a fun vacation and don’t wear half-helmets.

Edited by ozenn

Do you know if they had full faced ones ?

Open faced are better than the hard hats they provide when renting, but the Big C helmet provides no chin protection.

Remember full faced helmets protect your chin, just added this for those that are really cautious.

Cheers

Yes mate, they had full face ones also.

Yes mate, they had full face ones also.

Cheers thanks for that.

I'd love to know where I could hire a Kawasaki KSR 110 the mini moto monkey bike thingy. So I can hammer around with an MX helmut on.

I also see them around and would love to ride one, I ride a WR250x at home so I think I could manage one of them.

Cheers

KawasakiKSR110.jpeg