IGNORED

Cable Television, Yeah or Ney

Amante

Do you guys think it makes sense to rent cable television in Pattaya? Do you think that there are enough Enlish speaking channels??? Amante

True vision in Thailand are english speaking programme, movie and sports channel are very good too... probably 1000 bahts monthy, not sure !!!! Maybe some Expat here will explain better...

• 1 month later...

All I get in Pattaya hotel rooms is Sophon (I think) cable television, which has no CNN and not much sports. I see these on TV in the bars. Is it possible to subscribe to what the bars have, on an individual basis in a long-term rented room?

Sophon cable is OK for £6 a month! You get Universal, SyFy, BBC World News & a couple of English (Thai subtitled) movie channels. I pay the same in Bangkok & only get Universal, Star Movies & CNN, although Star Sports sometimes has Premiership football.

True is satellite & you get what you pay for ~ 1500B though for a half decent package! :68:

sgu_banner.gif

I live in Bangkok and pay 1568 for True's gold package, which has enough sports channels to make it worth my money. But is this available in Pattaya?

True offers the same packages in Pattaya and Bangkok.

Pattaya offers Sophon, BTV and TMN as cable-TV (63 up to 102 channels), but not much English (BBC, Fox-News, some Sport Channels, Aljazeera, NKH (Japanese) in English, English spoken movies with Thai subtitles (bad picture quality). Fee per month is approx. THB 350.

No magazines, just Thai websites with a brief program.

True however, offers all the above + more English movie channels and education-channels in dual-language.

True is a lot more expensive (Basic THB 500 up to THB 2200 for a Platinum Package).

Installation is mostly free, you only pay THB 2000 deposit for the box and dish. You get the bill every month. You also get a True magazine.

Some channels are offered in HD quality now (I think it's THB 900 extra)

True offers the same packages in Pattaya and Bangkok.

Pattaya offers Sophon, BTV and TMN as cable-TV (63 up to 102 channels), but not much English (BBC, Fox-News, some Sport Channels, Aljazeera, NKH (Japanese) in English, English spoken movies with Thai subtitles (bad picture quality). Fee per month is approx. THB 350.

No magazines, just Thai websites with a brief program.

True however, offers all the above + more English movie channels and education-channels in dual-language.

True is a lot more expensive (Basic THB 500 up to THB 2200 for a Platinum Package).

Installation is mostly free, you only pay THB 2000 deposit for the box and dish. You get the bill every month. You also get a True magazine.

Some channels are offered in HD quality now (I think it's THB 900 extra)

Joseph, thanks. Good to know True is available in Pattaya. Maybe I can try living there after all.

A bar/hotel owner told me if I wanted to watch my sports I'd need to come down to his bar, and buy a drink....... All I had was weak Sophon in my room upstairs. I guess True doesn't offer package rates to hotels. I could live in Pattaya if I didn't have to surrender the TV remote when tennis, pool, ping pong or even bowling are on; with soccer, rugby, motor vehicles, or even cricket as competition in the bar.