IGNORED

Renting a House verse Apartment/Condo?

Amante

Been coming to Pattaya for years and my intelligence and experience has suggested not to rent a home but to stay with apartments or condos. On recent trips, I have been taking some tours of some great looking new home developments and I am getting tempted to rethink my position. What do you guys think? My gut feeling is to stay with the Condos. Any thoughtful replies would be appreciated. Amante

Depends where you looks really and how much you wanna spend ? i use to live in condos but got fed up of living in a box so i did some traveling about and found some decent places at good rates to what i was spending on a condo dont go to the agents they are a waste of space need a bike and go look mate ..

Been coming to Pattaya for years and my intelligence and experience has suggested not to rent a home but to stay with apartments or condos. On recent trips, I have been taking some tours of some great looking new home developments and I am getting tempted to rethink my position. What do you guys think? My gut feeling is to stay with the Condos. Any thoughtful replies would be appreciated. Amante

Personally I would never rent a house if I'm staying there a single man. But that is just me.

I have rented a house for a year at Soi Siam Countryclub when I was with my girlfriend. If I would be single at that time it would be 1 big mess after month or two.

My thought is; If youre single, like to have a few drinks multiple times a week, don't have a car or don't like/want to drive a motorbike for longer than 15 minutes I would say a condo at the centre of near the centre of Pattaya is better.

But I can understand that if youre living with your TGF/wife and rather stay home then have a few drinks a house will suit you better. Also the darkside has some bars aswell that are not that bad :) .

I was renting both houses and condos. Based on my experinece, each choice has its advantages and disadvantages. I lived in 2 houses in jomtien and 2 condos in jomtien(one of them I bought).

Condo:

+in most cases better location so closer to everything you want(song tel, restaurants, 7-11, laundry, beach, bars and so long)

+less electicity cost

+big swimming pool in which you can accually swim

- pool can be closed in some condos at evening

- no private swimming pool

- no big and nice parties with friends and girls

- in some cases no pets(minus only if you want them)

- need to pay maintaince but it is ussually cheap in pattaya

house:

+ parties:)

+ private swimming pool

- more electricity cost, esspecially aircon,also pool filtering adds cost for electricity,

- In general you risk more if will come to get your deposit, there is so much agents can say and keep part of your deposit. In my cases FOR EXAMPLE I needed to maintain the garden (and i did not know this), owners of the houses asked me to pay for dead plants:) , there are much more they did, but this is not the topic

- usually far from everything, you need to have motorbike if you live in most jomtien houses, not to mention dark side - there you need to get car

I prefer condos...

With any place i'd be looking for security ( to a degree - this is Thailand!) and get to know the people around the area a little so you have some network of friends. Condos generally more secure and as with anywhere in Thailand, if you flash your cash you will be running a risk of running into the wrong people. Either is surprisingly easy to rent short term if you want to test the water although you'll likely pay a premium for short term rental.

Let us know how you go.

Been renting a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom fully furnished 2 air con units one in lounge the other in main bedroom semi- detached Bungalow @88 sq mtrs c/w nice LCD TV cable and free internet at Lake side Villas in a walled compound containing 30 villas and 40 condo's which are 6,500 @ month(the one down a side track directly opposite the Lake Mapbrachan NOT the one you can see from the road called "Lake side Villa Resort!) for 5 months now @ 8,000Thbt, electric between 500 and 700 Thbt, water always around 240/260 and bike rent 2000.They have also offered to keep the same rent for the next 6 months if I sign a contract before 30th Oct.There,s a nice sized communal pool with a bar selling Singha @ 38Tbht yes 38!! and yes the beer is cold

only had two minor problems with the house and both fixed within 2 days @ no charge :) .security patrols the grounds during the day and Night. Many bars plus within 1km.

3G -Girls,GTi's&Golf,1st came Girls then GOLF GTI MK1and finally Golf the Game.Not sure which I spent more on? Enjoyed all 3 though ;-)
3F's Fuckin',Fuckin'about&Fuckin'up(hopefully loads of 1st&2nd but very little 3rd

My mate bought the house and I bought the 15th floor condo 5 years ago... He asked me for a swap this year but I refused,,, Why??? Mosquito cannot live up the 15 th floor, .....

Been renting a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom fully furnished 2 air con units one in lounge the other in main bedroom semi- detached Bungalow @88 sq mtrs c/w nice LCD TV cable and free internet at Lake side Villas in a walled compound containing 30 villas and 40 condo's which are 6,500 @ month(the one down a side track directly opposite the Lake Mapbrachan NOT the one you can see from the road called "Lake side Villa Resort!) for 5 months now @ 8,000Thbt, electric between 500 and 700 Thbt, water always around 240/260 and bike rent 2000.They have also offered to keep the same rent for the next 6 months if I sign a contract before 30th Oct.There,s a nice sized communal pool with a bar selling Singha @ 38Tbht yes 38!! and yes the beer is cold

only had two minor problems with the house and both fixed within 2 days @ no charge :) .security patrols the grounds during the day and Night. Many bars plus within 1km.

I am currently living in Bangkok but am heading your way with my Thai girlfriend for a at least two months. Am interested in where you are staying. I am having a hard time figuring where it is exactly. I lived on Pratamnak Soi 4 for a couple years. Could you give me an idea of where it is from there. Thanks for any other details.

Depends where you looks really and how much you wanna spend ? i use to live in condos but got fed up of living in a box so i did some traveling about and found some decent places at good rates to what i was spending on a condo dont go to the agents they are a waste of space need a bike and go look mate ..

I dont think you should bad mouth agents as "a waste of space" there are many reputable agents who offer very good services for clients.

Using an agent can save a lot of time and also ensure you have a solid rental agreement that protects both tenant and landlord.

When I was first sent to work in Thailand I lived in a condo in Pattaya then a condo in Bangkok, both were OK well the condo in Bangkok was great but when I had to move back down to Pattaya I went straight for a house on the Darkside. More privacy and you can do what you want when you want (within reason). I'm renting my second house now, both had pools and the first a reasonable sized yard but they current house has a much larger yard which to me makes a difference. Since moving in to this house I have got myself a dog, the kid loves it.

Even if I was single I would still rent a house, maids are cheap here and they can make your life so much easier. House is clean, meals are cooked, and clothes are washed. With a house the maid usually has her own area to spend her own time in but in a Condo you'd be jumping over each other or you wouldn't have one.

One thing I have noticed with the house though is that it is far more relaxing. I look out from the lounge room, kitchen or where ever and I see grass, coconut or palm trees, and the pool and not the building next to me. Sure you can get ocean view condos but try walking out from your balcony bare feet and jump straight in the pool or just scrunch your toes up in the grass.

I am currently living in Bangkok but am heading your way with my Thai girlfriend for a at least two months. Am interested in where you are staying. I am having a hard time figuring where it is exactly. I lived on Pratamnak Soi 4 for a couple years. Could you give me an idea of where it is from there. Thanks for any other details.

It's on soi siam country club road (not the official name of the road but ask anyone as everyone knows where it is

just before pattaya Klang junction on the south bound sukhamvit or highway 3 there is a big square red arch with soi saim country club written on it

turn left under there and head down that road for several kms when you come to a sharp rh bend with no buildings on the lefthand side but a big eucalyptus grove 300 mtrs the road then bends left just after this turn there is an entrance to the lake with the gate locked opposite this on the right is a sandy track the villas entrance is on the right office number 038051664

there is an address on the rent invoice but it is for the main office.

any probs sent me a pm

3G -Girls,GTi's&Golf,1st came Girls then GOLF GTI MK1and finally Golf the Game.Not sure which I spent more on? Enjoyed all 3 though ;-)
3F's Fuckin',Fuckin'about&Fuckin'up(hopefully loads of 1st&2nd but very little 3rd

I think the decision has to be made on your own personal preferences and needs.

I stayed in condos and hotels in the centre of town for a few years and got pissed off with staying in town. I prefer having more space and privacy that a house can give.

You need to be careful renting as many people report problems with getting their bond (deposit) back. I have rented 3 places and managed to get the majority back. Don't think that renting from farangs is any better than from Thais. Two of the places I rented were from farangs and I had problems with both.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the responses. I think I am going to rent a condo. Smile. Amante

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" name="flashplayer" src="http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/wafpaf/countdown/swf/capricorn1big.swf?then_year=2011&then_month=10&then_day=2&eventt=Days+until+I+return+to+Pattaya" quality="high" width="340" height="300" swliveconnect="true" allowscriptaccess="samedomain"></embed><br><a href="http://www.wishafriend.com/countdown/" target="new">Countdown Clocks</a>, <a href="http://www.wishafriend.com/countdown/capricorn/" target="new">Capricorn Countdowns</a> at WishAFriend.com

My mate bought the house and I bought the 15th floor condo 5 years ago... He asked me for a swap this year but I refused,,, Why??? Mosquito cannot live up the 15 th floor, .....

Wrong, it VT6 th mosqitos come up to 26th floor.......

I dont think you should bad mouth agents as "a waste of space" there are many reputable agents who offer very good services for clients.

Using an agent can save a lot of time and also ensure you have a solid rental agreement that protects both tenant and landlord.

The agents here have a salary that is one month rental pr. Year, much better to find something on your own , the agency do usually not help if something is happen anyway.