IGNORED

What to expect at first time playing.

Nausea

I will put your answers in this post and update it for help to others aswell!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Im going to play golf with my friend many times during this trip.

We will stay for 4 months, and are planning to fill many days with wonderful golfing.

As none of us played abroad before I have some questions, and I would be happy for any advices what to expect etc.

1. Caddies

*Do I need to have a caddie?

*What does it cost?

*How much to tip? -200baht + drinks at the course

*Are they "openminded", in my meaning like other girls in Pattaya?

*Is it common to see the caddie after she finished work?

*Only female caddies? -Male ones available too.

2. Fees (standards/general)

*Need "greencard"?

*Need membership?

*How much for 9/18 holes in general?

*Golfclubs for rent at the course?

3. Golf car

*Is it common? -Fairly common

*Can you drive or caddy drive?

*Extra cost for car? -Yes

4. The Course

*Closest ones to Pattaya center?

*Good course for beginners?

*Need proper clothing? -Tshirt + shorts are ok.

*Safe to bring children, or is there a risk of seeing "stuff" at the course?

I will fill in the answers as you post it!

Hope it will help more golfers then me and my friend.

//Nau

CXNID=1000015.12NXC.gif

Hi Nausea,

I've only played the once so far when in Patts, so I maybe not much help but here goes:

!. I had a girl caddie, although I did see a couple of male ones. The cost of her was all in with the day out costs organised through a guest house. I tipped her 200 Baht at the end,

and also bought her drinks whilst on the course.

I don't know about anything for afters, because we had to get back on the minibus to Patts, but probably not.

2. Green fees were part of the cost of the day out, together with transport and hiring of clubs.

3. I think golf carts are available, but I didn't use one. There would be extra cost involved.

4. As my trip was an organised one, the location of the course was immaterial to me, although I know there are a lot of quality courses around Patts. I didn't bring golf shoes with me but trainers were acceptable.

It is not recommended that you wear open flip flops. Also I just wore t shirt and shorts. Not sure about children being there.

As I mentioned, I went on an oranised golf day out ( with Le Katia guest house where my mate was staying). Also, Irish Rovers and one of two other places organise these trips.

Hope that is of some help

Tony

Thanks! Post updated with some infos :)

CXNID=1000015.12NXC.gif

• 2 weeks later...

1. Caddies are required when playing on any course in Thailand. Caddy fees are usually ~300baht and are paid before your round at the pro shop. At the end of the round I tip my caddy 300 baht and I also offer her a drink during the round. I wouldn't say it's very common to see a caddie outside of the golf course. These are regular working girls and should be treated as such. It's not often I am attracted to the caddies (There are a few lookers at Old Siam though :D ) so I rarely flirt with any of them. On one occasion I did get along very well with a cute 19yr old caddy (I'm in my mid 20's) and we exchanged numbers. She later met me in Pattaya and spent the night with me. It was definitely more of a GFE and I did have a lot of fun. Very rare occurrence for me though considering how many rounds of golf I've played in Thailand. I've only ever seen female caddies and I've played at a majority of the courses near Pattaya.

2. I recommend signing up for rounds at some of the golf bars in Pattaya. I really like to play with The Golf Club on Soi LK Metro (http://www.golfclubpattaya.com/). The guys who run the bar are a great group of guys and they organize everything for you. You just sign up on one of the clip boards a day or two before the round and then show up the morning of at the listed time for departure (I usually go early as they have awesome breakfast food). They can provide transportation (~200 baht) and they also have rental sets if needed (I believe it's 500baht). If you are planning to play a lot of golf and are an experienced golfer I would suggest bringing your own clubs. The majority of courses that they play are ~1500baht and this price can go up/down depending on the course. This includes the green fee, caddy fee, cart, etc..

3. Golf carts are available at all courses and the caddy will drive the cart for you. The majority of guys get a cart but also some guys walk (caddy will pull your clubs). I would recommend getting a cart unless you are used to this climate.

4. There are a lot of great courses within 45-1hour of Pattaya. I recommend playing with a local bar as it's a great way to meet people and they also arrange transportation which makes everything very easy. The Golf Club plays Green Valley every Monday and then Wednesday/Friday is a mix of various courses (Green Wood, Bangpra, Khao Kheow, St. Andrews 2000, etc..). I've only seen a strict dress code at some of the higher end courses (Old Siam, Siam Plantation, etc..) but everyone is usually in standard golf attire. I would recommend just a standard collard shirt and regular golf shoes (soft spike). You won't see any "dirty" behavior on the course but I wouldn't bring anyone unless they are actually playing.

Hope this helps! If you have any specific questions post up and I'll do my best to answer them :)

Edited by FreeSki

Someday, somebody will ski that

• 3 weeks later...

I will put your answers in this post and update it for help to others aswell!

--------------------------------------------------------------

ADDED COMMENTS AFTER YOUR QUESTIONS.

Im going to play golf with my friend many times during this trip.

We will stay for 4 months, and are planning to fill many days with wonderful golfing.

As none of us played abroad before I have some questions, and I would be happy for any advices what to expect etc.

1. Caddies

*Do I need to have a caddie? Yes, mandatory at all courses I have played in Thailand.

*What does it cost? About 250-300 for caddy fee plus tip.

*How much to tip? -200baht + drinks at the course Standard tip seems to be 300 and maybe drinks on the course. Depends on how well they do and if you are happy with them.

*Are they "openminded", in my meaning like other girls in Pattaya? Most are regular ladies and many married or have boyfriends. A legitimate job and most are professional in their work. Would go with the flow and see how the cnversation goes and if they are interested but do not assume they are necessarily "openminded". English is not alwasys very good so harder to converse. Pattaya bar ladies are in a different environment with different expectations. I expect some might be interested in a boyfriend but not necessarily a one nighter.

*Is it common to see the caddie after she finished work? Not usually. If you book them for future rounds of golf and get to know them it might be different.

*Only female caddies? -Male ones available too. Very few males but some around. If you want a male you can inquire and have them prebooked.

2. Fees (standards/general) Green fee plus caddy 1,000 - 1,500 in low season which ends Oct 31 most places. Buggies typically 500-600 and many restrict buggy to one player although some let two people share. If staying a long time worth joining Pattaya Sports Club and/or International Pattaya Golf Club as they have preferred pricing and you can play with the various bars and societies who are affiliated. A good way to play, meet people and let someone else make the arrangements.

*Need "greencard"? Don't know what this is?

*Need membership? Not at golf course but worthwhile to join associations mentioned above.

*How much for 9/18 holes in general? See above. Better course are higher as expected.

*Golfclubs for rent at the course? Yes at many but believe to be expensive. Some golf associations also rent clubs. If here a long time worth bringing your own.

3. Golf car

*Is it common? -Fairly common Some course it is mandatory (Laem Chabang, St. Andrews, Burapha) and optional at others. Most people have a preference for riding or walking and play accordingly.

*Can you drive or caddy drive? Mostly caddy drive. If you can share then you ride and the caddies are on the back.

*Extra cost for car? -Yes 500-600 most places.

4. The Course

*Closest ones to Pattaya center? All are about 25-45 minutes. Many to chose from.

*Good course for beginners? Probably the less expensive ones as more open and not as difficult.

*Need proper clothing? -Tshirt + shorts are ok. Same general rules as most countries and proper clothing required. Tee shirts not allowed. Collared shirts or those golf shirts with kind of turtle neck style. Shorts everywhere but not jeans, cut offs, etc. Dress like you would at home as a regular course.

*Safe to bring children, or is there a risk of seeing "stuff" at the course? If children are golfers and playing should be ok but same price as adults. If just to look around not advised and many places do not allow people to ride along as nonplaying parties. Have seen girlfriends with people but quite rare and generally not appreciated by those you might be playing with. Note that if a guest is allowed it may cost extra and they would be required to follow the dress rules of others on the course. Should definitely check first as would be a waste to go out there and then find out they have to sit in the clubhouse for 4 hours with little to do.

I will fill in the answers as you post it!

Hope it will help more golfers then me and my friend.

//Nau

Common sense is not very common.

Hi this is useful info...but it's 4 years old. I'm coming over in a few weeks time and am bringing my clubs, any Patts golfing tips for a newbie?

Hi this is useful info...but it's 4 years old. I'm coming over in a few weeks time and am bringing my clubs, any Patts golfing tips for a newbie?

Actually, data is current info. Probably has not changed much over the years however. As mentioned by others, Pattaya Sports Club website has some good info.

Common sense is not very common.

If you go with a bar you will also get the sports club discounts which can be a lot. The girls at the golf club never check your card.