IGNORED

Crazy story about a road accident!

s0315

Here is a story a friend of mine told while he was in Thailand, (don't remember which city):

He was driving a rent car on the road, normal speed, not crazy, when suddenly a scooter with 3 thai people on it (a couple and their daughter) hit their car.

The car was ok, but the scooter a bit damage and the Thai mother was hit on the head. They ask like 2000bath for damages. My friend refuse because the accident wasn't his fault. They then called the police, and the police ask for twice the money. They refuses to pay again, and in the end he went to jail and his family had to pay something like 16 000€ to take him out of it!

Does this kind of situation happens often in Thailand or my friend didn't had any chances on that specific day?

Avoid Pain, Be Free, Have Fun.

Should have got the insurance companies involved, its a civil case and beyond getting a fine for reckless driving or similar the police don't get involved much further.

If the rental car didn't have the right insurance then more fool him for not making sure or going to a reputable rental agency.

As the above post says ..... insurance companies should sort it out.

My experience?

Were driving down Pattaya Tai from Sukhumvit road heading in 3rd road direction.

Before the traffic lights at 3rd road, slowed and indicated right to turn into the garage that is on the right hand side.

I was 90% on the other side of the road when I was hit up the back left rear?

Carried on driving into the garage and stopped, alongside came a Honda civic looking the worst for wear, its bonnet was crumpled up, its drivers wing pushed down and the headlamp light glass etc was gone? I were driving a Toyota Tiger 4x4. Only damage to me was a slight dent in the chrome rear bumper?

Got out the car with my Thai GF, told the Thai honda driver I was calling the police? They said "No", they would call their insurers. 20 minutes later insurerer turned up, checked I was all legal, took photos of my UK licence, International drivers licence, passport number and visa. All in order, I was on my way after 20 mins with the number of the repair garage and her insurance details.

No shouting, no fuss, it does happen at times to benefit the farang. But if anything on my side was wrong, i.e. no licence, visa expired etc, then who knows what would of happened. Having a Thai with me and being able to speak a fair bit of Thai helps

I was in the right. That is why I wanted the BIB

So you want to live in Isaan?   Tale of a journey started 1973 with a stepfather, arrive 2004, "Wife in Issan" 2017.......    ..            An unplanned, unknown and unforeseen  journey spanning 51 years ending well  !!

I've .... seen things ..... you people would never believe...............

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Having a Thai with me ....

This makes all the difference

That is why I wanted the BIB

Not shore about this one as if you meet the wrong guy that needs his finances for this month

sorted out he don't give a fuck about who's right or wrong but he will find something to make you pay .

In the end you're still 'the farang' and 'Thai rak Thai' .

Agree about the insurance part, but from legal point of you Police can not arrest him or put him in jail because its a civil matter and they have no jurisdiction over it.

Unless your mate forgot to mention that

1. He possibly did not have valid license

2. He was slightly drunk

3. Police cooked up some fake evidence of him being drunk.

Police do try to intermediate but in the end they do not have the power to arrest in a civil matter

Here is a story a friend of mine told while he was in Thailand, (don't remember which city):

He was driving a rent car on the road, normal speed, not crazy, when suddenly a scooter with 3 thai people on it (a couple and their daughter) hit their car.

The car was ok, but the scooter a bit damage and the Thai mother was hit on the head. They ask like 2000bath for damages. My friend refuse because the accident wasn't his fault. They then called the police, and the police ask for twice the money. They refuses to pay again, and in the end he went to jail and his family had to pay something like 16 000€ to take him out of it!

Does this kind of situation happens often in Thailand or my friend didn't had any chances on that specific day?

It sounds perfectly feasible.

It's not got much to do with right or wrong. There is a principle here that "if big car hits small m/bike then big car can pay"

The emphasis is on "big" where big equates to ability to pay.

Given that he could have driven away with no police involvement for only 2k, he was evidently pretty stupid not to.

The further you move it down the line, the more people there are who want paying and the more the whole thing escalates.

Given there was no damage to the car, those saying he should have involved the insurance company are probably also off the mark.

It's possible if not likely that he wasn't really insured and the best thing about involving them is that at least they would have advised him to pay up.

........................ from legal point of you Police can not arrest him or put him in jail because its a civil matter and they have no jurisdiction over it.

Police do try to intermediate but in the end they do not have the power to arrest in a civil matter

I believe there have been several cases where the Thai injured party has made a claim and farang has wound up in jail pending payment.

The line between Civil and Criminal matters doesn't seem as defined as in farang land, at least not prior to reaching the Courts.

If the BiB are involved and side with the Thai, then you may be able to negotiate the figure down (I got down from 25k to 5k with Thai assistance) but in any case the first price is likely to be the cheapest option.

While you refuse to pay, the police will hold your licence, possibly your Passport, perhaps your vehicle and ultimately even you.

Its normal for guys to say that if your in Thailand its your fault, I myself hit a motorbike a few yrs back, the lady driver did a U turn right in front of me, she admitted responsibility to the Police who came to the scene and paid all my bike repairs, had a similar situation with one of my Guests recently where he was hit by a Thai motorbike taxi driver while he was on a hire bike.

They both ended down the police station, The Taxi man was saying"falang have to pay", the Farang knew he was not at fault and the guy from Mai Pang went to aid him at the police station, the story was sorted then as the Mai Pang guy who went was also with his Thai Staff and in the end the taxi driver had to cough up 1500 for repairs, so I think the point is its how you deal with the situation and is handy if you have a Thai with you or know one you can call on.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

I believe there have been several cases where the Thai injured party has made a claim and farang has wound up in jail pending payment.

The line between Civil and Criminal matters doesn't seem as defined as in farang land, at least not prior to reaching the Courts.

If the BiB are involved and side with the Thai, then you may be able to negotiate the figure down (I got down from 25k to 5k with Thai assistance) but in any case the first price is likely to be the cheapest option.

While you refuse to pay, the police will hold your licence, possibly your Passport, perhaps your vehicle and ultimately even you.

Absolutely if someone is injured it becomes more of a criminal matter, in the case of injury police need both party's in the station doing the official statement and yes they do take your license until the matter is sorted.

I had accident in BKK, where taxi driver slammed into the back of my car, went down, broke his hand and fingers( i mean bones were out)

Police ask me to go down to station and do the statement, he had to do the same. He changed the story few times trying to put the blame on me, but he did hit me from the back, so in the end he was found to be at fault, had to pay 500 fine for reckless driving( or whatever its called) and pay for my damage to the car.

Though initially i was happy to walk away, but he started to demand money.

But i do reside here, so did not have to worry about catching the plane and did not mind going through the hassles.

But again, if the driver had valid license and not under the influence, they can not arrest you. They can scare you, but legally can not detain you just your documents which of course is not an option for someone visiting and paying 2000b saves alot of hassles

Its normal for guys to say that if your in Thailand its your fault, I myself hit a motorbike a few yrs back, the lady driver did a U turn right in front of me, she admitted responsibility to the Police who came to the scene and paid all my bike repairs, had a similar situation with one of my Guests recently where he was hit by a Thai motorbike taxi driver while he was on a hire bike.

............................................................so I think the point is its how you deal with the situation and is handy if you have a Thai with you or know one you can call on.

It's great to hear about farang being treated fairly, but I think those are all bike on bike stories?

The principle of " If big car hits small motorbike then big car can pay" is a very real one in Thailand and is the easy option the BiB will often choose, whether farang are involved or not. - something to do with not being able to get blood out of a stone in some cases.

Yes, having a Thai on your side who is capable and knows how to deal with the situation (not all do) makes a world of difference.