Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Ambitious plans for Pattaya

Edge

For those planning to retire here in 10 years - Same Same but maybe Different?

Ambitious plans for Pattaya

Pattaya has set an ambitious goal to turn the resort town into a world class "greenovative tourism city".

303512.jpgPattaya will be changed to a sustainable tourism destination.

The mission is based on a 10-year tourism master plan drafted by the Designated Areas for Sustainable Tourism Administration (Dasta).

According to Mayor Ittipol Khunplume, Pattaya will require an estimated budget of 15 billion baht for 132 projects to be implemented in the city and related districts from 2012-22.

The projects include improving public transportation services such as a offering shuttle bus service in town, building a road linking with the motorway, extending the rail link service from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya and building new ports in Pattaya and Koh Lan.

In addition, there will be plans to improve public utilities such as the water supply, waste water and waste management, a water drainage system to protect the city from floods, water recycling system and renewable energy.

The city also plans to invest in beach recovery projects, promote new tourism routes such as community tourism in Na Kluea and green tourism at Koh Lan and Koh Phai.

Last are projects to promote sustainable tourism such as educating locals about organic farming, allocating areas for biking, improving the environment in Koh Lan and other tourism destinations in Pattaya and nearby areas.

If the master plan succeeds, the number of foreign tourists to Pattaya would double from 5 million to 10 million while the number of Thai visitors would rise from 2 million to 4.2 million over the next decade. The city's revenue from tourism is expected to rise from 68 billion baht to 300 billion baht in 2022.

The master plan would change the image of Pattaya from a rather sleazy nightlife paradise to a green and sustainable destination, said the mayor.

LINK

sounds shit to me

Shit or just buffalo shit?

same shit different day. if you go back through the archives of pattayamail you are guarenteed to find similar stories etc. Yes pattaya has changed but its core is still the girls and bars

Of course that's what all of us here want to believe.

However, if you look around at the continuing changes that have taken place between Beach Road and Second Road and the massive investment that has been made in family orientated hotels and the likes of Central Festival, then it would appear that those investors believed the presentation that the Mayor made a few years back.

If he doesn't deliver then he's going to have a lot of very powerful people on his back.

They didn't spend all that money to attract more of us lot here and they're not dependent upon our Baht either.

Only time will tell of course.

Wow. I say they would make a bigger profit by legalizing the trade, then taxing it.

What, more than 230 Billion Baht?

I know it's only a plan, but can you explain your maths?

first it was family friendly, now it green city... Cant wait to go down the beach and laugh at indians and arabs getting ripped of by jet ski scammers.

first it was family friendly, now it green city... Cant wait to go down the beach and laugh at indians and arabs getting ripped of by jet ski scammers.

There's been several cases already.

Try to keep up. rolleyes.gif

There's been several cases already.

Try to keep up. rolleyes.gif

Dad - on the run from police for murder and corruption convictions

Son - banned from politics as a Thaksin-crony TRT'er

Other Son - corruption assets confiscated

Other Other Son - mayor of Pattaya

sure thing stickman.

Dad - on the run from police for murder and corruption convictions

Son - banned from politics as a Thaksin-crony TRT'er

Other Son - corruption assets confiscated

Other Other Son - mayor of Pattaya

Murder? Tik Kunplome his Son?.............

.........and they say you couldn't make it up, but never mind, his Sister seems to be doing OK and she may be the one to watch out for.

Meanwhile, you obviously have a cunning plan.....ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg

... However, if you look around at the continuing changes that have taken place between Beach Road and Second Road and the massive investment that has been made in family orientated hotels and the likes of Central Festival, then it would appear that those investors believed the presentation that the Mayor made a few years back. ...

They didn't spend all that money to attract more of us lot here and they're not dependent upon our Baht either.... <edited>

I agree 100%. I always said to my wife, "I don't understand how these beer bars are still here ... the land is worth 500% more than what the beer bar is paying for it".

Notice the number of beer bars that are being demolished?

To this day, I can't understand how the "Best Friends" beer bar complex on beach rd is still here. It is one of the larger pieces of beach front property in the area ... with nothing but beer bars paying inconsequential rent.

I think we are going to see "pockets" of bars, in "entertainment zones" ... Walking Street, Buakow, etc. I expect to see fewer and fewer beer bars in prime areas.

Edited by travelling_man

I agree 100%. I always said to my wife, "I don't understand how these beer bars are still here ... the land is worth 50% what the beer bar is paying for it".

Notice the number of beer bars that are being demolished?

To this day, I can't understand how the "Best Friends" beer bar complex on beach rd is still here. It is one of the larger pieces of beach front property in the area ... with nothing but beer bars paying inconsequential rent.

I think we are going to see "pockets" of bars, in "entertainment zones" ... Walking Street, Buakow, etc. I expect to see fewer and fewer beer bars in prime areas.

For those who keep poo pooing the idea that Pattaya can change, we must remember that this is a 10 year plan, but on the evidence of what has been built in the past 3 or so years, it must be achievable.

Walking Street is a major tourist attraction for visitors and Thais and I'm sure it will survive in a not too different form, though I've heard some questions about the land on the waterside.

The question arising may be whether the P4P aspect becomes more discreet, with more show-type venues and night clubs proliferating.

There is room there for many different types of entertainment, including the GoGo Bars.

In the medium term (5+ years) my guess is that Soi 6 will be under pressure to change.

There are loads of theories and rumours around Pattaya. Nothing really changes and nor will it. Pattaya Council need to get a handle on the following first :-

Improvements must include a decent sewage plant to collect the tonnes of shyte that pollute the sea at Beach road. Same same at Jomtien beach.

The introduction of pedestrian death traps aka 'pedestrian' crossings need urgent rethinking. I guess they were sponsored by Sawang Boriboon !!

Beach road is a motorist nightmare with tourist buses parked just anywhere, regardless. The Council should utilise some of the area (and there is plenty) for a bus park off Beach road. Let the rubbernecks walk a bit.

Ok, so 300 Billion Baht is plenty of money. At today's rate it is about £6 billion. Over ten years it amounts to £600 million - enough, do you reckon, to build a direct line from Suwannabhum Airport and all the other 'pie in the sky' proposals. I'll bet that doesn't include the 'palm greasing' and 'under the counter' deals.

Sounds good electioneering to me.

Lets stick with what Pattaya does best - playtime, pussy and pubs. Slainte Vha !!!!

In my years of going to Pattaya I already see the changes in hotels shopping and types of tourists. I saw way more families and young non mongering tourist types. They all gawked at the scene on Walking St but did not participate. I think it will always come down to what makes the most money for now I think P4P is raking in more than condos or shopping venues would in the areas they remain but who knows what the future holds.

Beach road is a motorist nightmare with tourist buses parked just anywhere, regardless. The Council should utilise some of the area (and there is plenty) for a bus park off Beach road. Let the rubbernecks walk a bit.

... to build a direct line from Suwannabhum Airport ....

The above two items you mention are tied together IMO. Ambition, money, Desire or forethought is *NOT* the problem that keeps projects from being implemented.

CORRUPTION. Now that is what truly isolates those who want to get ahead.

The Baht Bus mafia has no interest in allowing ANYTHING to improve in the city regarding transportation, whether it will affect them or not. Notice that we have meter taxis that will NEVER use the meter. If they used the meter, they would be cheaper than using a baht-bus as a taxi, and that is not allowed.

Remember when we had aircon bus running around pattaya? The red line, green line etc.? That was really nice! Didn't last though .... hmmmmmm ... wonder why?

I believe we will have an MRT-type transport to the airport and I believe it will be here in much less than 10 years. Infighting keeps it from happening.

But the problem that I expect will never change is the lack of parking for motorcycles and cars since every space is taken up by motorcycle rental vendors and moto-taxis. I have come to believe they wield more power than the baht bus driver collective.

For my $0.02 worth, I think we will continue to see change in central pattaya similar to what we have already been seeing, with the beer bars moving further away from the beach out past 2nd road and further, as they are moved out with more hotels and high rise condo's closer to the beach where the land is more valuable. That will just continue to move the sex trade out so it won't be as in-your face for the family tourists, but it won't go away i.e. as long as guys con't to go there looking for it, the lady's will continue to show up to provide ... and forums like this will be there to let us know where to find it. :P Works for me :Dance1:

<p>

For my $0.02 worth, I think we will continue to see change in central pattaya similar to what we have already been seeing, with the beer bars moving further away from the beach out past 2nd road and further, as they are moved out with more hotels and high rise condo's closer to the beach where the land is more valuable. That will just continue to move the sex trade out so it won't be as in-your face for the family tourists, but it won't go away i.e. as long as guys con't to go there looking for it, the lady's will continue to show up to provide ... and forums like this will be there to let us know where to find it. :P Works for me :Dance1:

Simple, concise and IMO correct.

It is a progression and it's happening already.

The end result will be a change in the 'face' of Pattaya which allows the 'normal' tourists TAT are targeting to enjoy the beach and shopping, whilst the mongers, who generally couldn't care less about such facilities, are pushed further back out of sight and (hopefully) out of mind.

There really isn't any need for our activities and interests to be in that area and it could even get better further away from all those families and cheap package tourists from Mumbai and Russia etc.

Pattaya is too much of a valuable asset to not go down this path, there is simply not enough money being made from sex tourism when compared what could be made via the alternatives.

A little over 1 hour from Bangkok (less if I drive) and you have Bangkok's weekend spot for middle class Thais. Try booking into the Amari or similar hotel on a Friday or Saturday night right now, they are booked out and the majority of the tourists are not down Soi 6 or WS hitting the go-go's.

To think it want happen IMO is a little naive. As has been mentioned above the sex orientated entertainment areas will become more centralised, similar to Nana and Soi Cowboy in Bangkok, and much smaller and more discrete. Tourism is all about making profit and investors are always looking for the higher revenue and profit streams. Money talks and big money talks much louder.

Some very good replies there. Money does talk in Thailand, the amount of influence depends on the size of the wad.

Pattaya has a wealthy family at its head. The mayor, an English speaking University grad whose uncle is the governor of Chonburi Province is undoubtedly a major motivator in pushing schemes forward.

Recent news from the new politicos in power in the LoS have come up with a plan to raise funds outlined in their election manifesto. Having been criticised for lack of action since Peua Thai took over two months ago, forum members will be interested to know that the Shinawatra party have dropped the diesel price by 3 baht three days ago, only for it to go up today by a baht. The same crowd have installed an alcohol tax so the price of booze will go up by 3-5%. They are raising cash by taxing golf clubs, nightclubs and rub 'n tug parlours. Looks to me like its a tax on their very income - the tourist. Very soon it will be a tax on ex-pats and anything farang associated. Scary stuff, not to be enhanced by the reintroduction of old Squarehead.

Stay well folks and be alert.

I seen some plans back in 2004 showing the developments that was supposed to be happening in Pattaya. They was shown to me by Dudley the owner of SPAM WORD hotel and Kitten club.

The plans shown all the beer bars and Agogos on beach road and 2nd road being closed and shopping malls, resturants and hotels taking their place and beach road becoming pedestrian only.

It also showed Walking Street agogos closing.

All the beer bars and agogos were supposed to be on Soi Buckow and 3rd road.

At the time i just laughed and said it would never happen, but now i think it is likely to happen. Maybe not in the next 5 or so years but it is not too far away.

Build it and they will come

Pattaya will continue to evolve. Beach Road is a commercial opportunity and I’m sure it will be developed and exploited without having much effect on the P4P scene. The Sois should develop and natural selection will prevail. The popular areas like Soi 7 and 8 will prosper and to quiet areas like Soi 2 will be absorbed in the growth of the hotel market.

On my last trip I walked around many areas and noted that there were many new developments away from the beach. You could hardly call it town planning but it seemed that there was some sort of plan to build in areas where P4P was not so in your face.

The interesting thing is that there always seems to so many bars that are closed. Everything is there but no girls and no customers. Some of the hangers on were open but very very quiet. Are there too many bars or just not enough mongers to go around? The law of supply and demand says that the quiet bars will close.

I think that there is room for a new type of establishment . The old 5 meter square bar with half a dozen girls just seems so old hat to me. The more popular bars have the girls playing hostess sitting at tables with the drinkers. I can see an expansion of this with larger bars, hostesses and service girls. I think there is room for different types of bars like sports bars, music bars, restaurant bars or drinking bars and I can see the integration of the P4P scene in each of these bars. Either way the bars will evolve to fit into the “ambitious Plans” and it should be a good thing.

More tourists mean more money into the community with more facilities and better services.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Build it and they will come

Pattaya will continue to evolve. Beach Road is a commercial opportunity and I’m sure it will be developed and exploited without having much effect on the P4P scene. The Sois should develop and natural selection will prevail. The popular areas like Soi 7 and 8 will prosper and to quiet areas like Soi 2 will be absorbed in the growth of the hotel market.

On my last trip I walked around many areas and noted that there were many new developments away from the beach. You could hardly call it town planning but it seemed that there was some sort of plan to build in areas where P4P was not so in your face.

The interesting thing is that there always seems to so many bars that are closed. Everything is there but no girls and no customers. Some of the hangers on were open but very very quiet. Are there too many bars or just not enough mongers to go around? The law of supply and demand says that the quiet bars will close.

I think that there is room for a new type of establishment . The old 5 meter square bar with half a dozen girls just seems so old hat to me. The more popular bars have the girls playing hostess sitting at tables with the drinkers. I can see an expansion of this with larger bars, hostesses and service girls. I think there is room for different types of bars like sports bars, music bars, restaurant bars or drinking bars and I can see the integration of the P4P scene in each of these bars. Either way the bars will evolve to fit into the “ambitious Plans” and it should be a good thing.

More tourists mean more money into the community with more facilities and better services.

Pattaya has changed a lot since 2000. In recent years lots of bars have closed (it seems that the ones closing are near the beach area)

Soi 7 and 8 are much quieter and the bars on soi 8 have changes considerably.

Soi buckhow as grown in popularity, LK Metro is the best area in Pattaya in my opinion.

Walking Street has less p4p tourists each year, just read the posts on this and other forums.

Pattaya is changing and the next Pattaya will evolve that is how life works.

Without us Mongers and the Girls, who the hell would go to Pattaya... and why?

For the beach??? :Laugh1:

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

Simple, concise and IMO correct.It is a progression and it's happening already. The end result will be a change in the 'face' of Pattaya which allows the 'normal' tourists TAT are targeting to enjoy the beach and shopping, whilst the mongers, who generally couldn't care less about such facilities, are pushed further back out of sight and (hopefully) out of mind.There really isn't any need for our activities and interests to be in that area and it could even get better further away from all those families and cheap package tourists from Mumbai and Russia etc.

I watched a subtitled interview of the Nong Nuch Garden owner on a Pattaya channel last week. He said he was happy about the way Pattaya is developing (more and more facilities aimed at normal tourists) and Thai people will no longer be "ashamed" of Pattaya once the tourists coming with their families will have superseded mongers.

Without us Mongers and the Girls, who the hell would go to Pattaya... and why? For the beach??? :Laugh1:

I don't give a flying f... about Pattaya itself. If the Thai powers that be decide one day to close down all p4p places in Pattaya to relocate them to, say Rayong or Phetchaburi, I won't shed a tear about Pattaya and I'll gladly go to any place as long as it has gogo bars, Devil's Den and freelancers :)

Edited by capricorn