IGNORED

Japanese 3GS - Will a Thai company unlock it for me and get me going?

coleman

Hey guys, I know that this has been covered in different threads with similar, but not specifically the same, problems.

Most of the threads here cover Aussie or American or European Iphones. Mine is Japanese, and from my research, I have found that the Japanese have written some of their own code into the software that makes it slightly more difficult. Anyways, I called my provider today to tell them I needed an unlock to travel and use a different SIM. I did this because I have seen many others say that their carriers just unlocked it for them in 24-48 hours time. Well, Softbank (the J carrier) will not do this. Also, I have a 3GS and I have used Cydia in the past to jailbreak the phone, but both times I had some strange stuff happening on the screen afterwards so I went back to normal. I know I can use ultrasn0w to unock it, but I have to use Cydia to do this.

Long story short, do you guys know if a Thai tech store will have the ability to get me up and running with my J iphone??

If not I'll just pick up a cheap rental, but I would like the GPS ability for walking around on my first trip.

Thanks in advance.

From what you write you are talking iPhone.(btw I live in Japan as well) I did the jailbreak and unlock on my old iPhone 3gs before my trip to patts in May. Dropped in a Thai sim card and charged it up and I was off and running. You can buy a sim card right when you exit customs. THere are two companies that sell (forget the names) they will drop in your sim and you can pick prepaid data plan to use internet and such. WOrked like a charm.

if you go to tukom in patts they will most likey do the same jailbreak unlock that you can do yourself for free. Why waste the time and money. Just do what I did.

best to you,

bolly

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

From what you write you are talking iPhone.(btw I live in Japan as well) I did the jailbreak and unlock on my old iPhone 3gs before my trip to patts in May. Dropped in a Thai sim card and charged it up and I was off and running. You can buy a sim card right when you exit customs. THere are two companies that sell (forget the names) they will drop in your sim and you can pick prepaid data plan to use internet and such. WOrked like a charm.

if you go to tukom in patts they will most likey do the same jailbreak unlock that you can do yourself for free. Why waste the time and money. Just do what I did.

best to you,

bolly

Thanks Bolly... What system did you use to unlock? Ultrasn0w? Purplesn0w? And did you use Cydia to jailbreak before the unlock. All the best bro.

If memory serves me right I did Cydia and ultrasnow. But I think the ultra snow was a newer version I remember I had to do some tweaking but it was pretty easy over all. I am not in any way a computer pro. So if i could do it successfully most anyone can.

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

babydollsaddict.gif

:001_Thank_You5: :001_Thank_You5: :001_Thank_You5: :001_Thank_You5:

I'll get on it then. Thanks again. I love this fucking forum.

Bolly, did you have to reset your firmware? I need to bump it up to the i-pad version to be able to unlock it. I read about it today but I have to have it plugged into my i-tunes. I'm gonna try it, hope I don't fuck it up too bad.

Reset firmware? TO be honest I have no idea. But i think the forums I read recommended a particular level of firmware for all to work. My advice is to spend about 30mins to an hour reading what is out there and act accordingly. If all else fails send me your address and I will loan you my phone! I have some requests for some thai items we could exchange upon your return. Let me know.

babydollsaddict.gif

Reset firmware? TO be honest I have no idea. But i think the forums I read recommended a particular level of firmware for all to work. My advice is to spend about 30mins to an hour reading what is out there and act accordingly. If all else fails send me your address and I will loan you my phone! I have some requests for some thai items we could exchange upon your return. Let me know.

hahahaha, no worries. I looked into it and I would have to upgrade my firmware to that of an ipad, which in nonrecoverable and has a high % chance of fucking up my GPS. GPS is used more than the phone or mail for me. I live in Japan and cant read the road signs. I might go Magnum P.I. and just carry a little black book and use bar phones and pay phones. Fuck it. But, if you PM me your address and requests I'll put them in the post to you if I can find everything.

My iphone is unlocked already - so there are sims ready DTAC etc that let you use internet etc?

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

My iphone is unlocked already - so there are sims ready DTAC etc that let you use internet etc?

When you exit customs look for one of the cell providers (foget the names) that have sales counters right there. Just tell them you want a sim card and internet package. I got a card topped off at 200bht and (I think 30 hrs internet--forget the details for another 6 or 700 baht. ) This is all from memory but I think that is correct. The counter staff speak english so they can help and explain the services and prices.

babydollsaddict.gif

• 2 months later...

with the release of iOS5 i am reading that a jb/ul is even more risky for the softbank phones

plane on doing it anyways for this coming trip since i am leaving Japan real soon. Anyone try it with 5?

"It take an idiot to do cool thing, that's why it's cool" -FLCL