IGNORED

Cheap liveable digs in Pattaya

docwho

Just curious - and a shout out to our veterans and learned people here, how can expats do it like the Thais do it?

Can you do it?

Cheap digs inparticular - because you're not going to be in there too much right?, except of course in times of the obvious.

I know what I know, but I would be interested in (and I'm sure it would help newbies) how cheap one can actually live in Patts... as an expat.

Just curious - and a shout out to our veterans and learned people here, how can expats do it like the Thais do it?

Can you do it?

Cheap digs inparticular - because you're not going to be in there too much right?, except of course in times of the obvious.

I know what I know, but I would be interested in (and I'm sure it would help newbies) how cheap one can actually live in Patts... as an expat.

If you live like a Thai, it can be very cheap but you get what you pay for. A single room (like the girls live in) with a ceiling fan and a toilet will go for 3000 to 4000 baht a month. A meal of chicken and rice, for only one example, can be had just about anywhere in town for around 30 or 40 baht. Marinated pork (delicious) on a stick are about 10 baht a piece.

I wouldn't want to do it, but it can be done.

Edited by Pattaya_Brian

Can you do it?

I spent a year and a half living in a shithole OP (Observation Post) in Fallujah, Iraq where I was eating MREs for the majority of my meals and was having to go down 4 flights of stairs and around a corner just to take a piss. I then spent a year and a half in Afghanistan living in a room so small it makes a 38 square meter efficiency look like a mansion, and I had to go out 3 doors and cross a street just to use a porta-john. So to answer your question, yes, I could live like a Thai for an extended period of time.

However, the real question is why would anyone WANT to? Why would someone go through hardships just to live in a particular place? If you can't afford to live in the comfort you're accustom to, stay home. Pattaya isn't the place to skimp by...way too much temptation here. You'll start out on your 20k baht budget per month and quickly find yourself in a hole you can't get out of and only digging yourself deeper. Eventually, you'll be in the same position as the homeless guy who lives on or near Soi Diana.