IGNORED

The Red Balcony Inn

QuotaMan

http://theredbalconypattaya.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

During my last trip I stayed 5 nights at the Red Balcony Inn. Cost was approximately 48 U.S. dollars per night including taxes/fees for a standard room. I thought this to be one of the best 'mid-priced' hotels I have ever stayed at in Pattaya. I did not specify sea view when I booked, so the only views from my windows were a wall and a building complex (probably what it feels like in prison).

What I liked:

- LOCATION! As you can see from the map this is within minutes walking distance from Walking Street on Soi 13/4. You simply cannot beat that if your preferred hunting grounds are in that vicinity. The entrance is slightly off the beach road side, sandwiched between a bar to the left and a tailor to the right. So it's close to the beach also if you just want to chill there. There's also several bars around the area, and if you head towards second road, halfway down the soi and to your right is Boyztown if you are interested in exploring your sexuality.

- Friendly service. From the time I checked in until I left service was pretty good and friendly.

- Free Wi-Fi. The complimentary wi-fi was fast and steady, never had any issues with .

- Laundry service. Compared to other hotels and their laundry service, the one they offer in Red Balcony is comparable in price to the laundry services you get in those small shops scattered throughout that area. For example, some of the prices they charge in other hotels to clean/press a shirt is outrageous. I don't remember the prices in Red Balcony but they were far cheaper. The only problem is that you don't might not get your clothes back until the next day, while the launderers in town can get yours by the end of the day I think.

- Rooms. My standard room was a bit on the small side and did not have a whole lot of outside lighting due to the location of the room and size/location of the windows. However the overall condition of the room was great. It had tile floors, an in room safe, spacious bed, LCD t.v. The bathroom spacing also felt a little odd and cramped as the bath tub was behind this wall. But besides that the room looked and felt clean and modern.

Things to consider:

- No elevators. As this is a relatively small hotel with rooms located on the second and third floor, there are no elevators or even a true lobby besides the front desk area. If you are on the third floor and have physical ailments, this could be a slight issue as there are only stairs. Not an extraordinary distance to the upper floors from lobby though, just something to keep in mind.

- No restaurant or other facilities. I usually do not eat in hotel restaurants so this was no big deal for me. Again this is almost a 'bare bones' type of hotel so there's no additional facilities besides the rooms (and a balcony). You are within short walking distance of many dining establishments anyways.

- No gym. Again this isn't that big of a deal, even though I still like to work out on vacation. If I need cardio I simply run outside on beach road early in the morning. But I also make the decision to walk everywhere in Pattaya instead of using the baht bus for the most part, so that's also my way of getting in some joint easy exercise while still enjoying the scenery and doing activities. For resistance training I found Tony's gym on Walking Street between Soi 15 and 16 on Club Abyzz (120 baht per session, cheaper for longer term rates). Small gym but more than enough equipment to get an excellent workout, and I believe they also have cardio machines there too.

- 'Joiner's Fee.' While walking by the desk I did notice a sign saying there was a 200 baht fee for any "guests" going into your room. Oddly enough I was never charged this or asked to pay, even when I took 2 bar fines into my room past the front desk at night.

- Size/view. As mentioned in the rooms above, if you value a large size room with a view of the beach, then you'd have to specify a sea view or sea view suite.

- Noise. While noise wasn't a huge issue, a few nights guys loudly walking up and down the stairs in the middle of the night woke me up. My room was right at the top of the second floor from the lobby, and as this isn't a big hotel all rooms are near the stairs area.

Final thought:

I just happened to find this hotel online as I made a last minute decision to salvage my vacation in Pattaya. I ended up being pleasantly surprised at how well this hotel worked out for me, because as we all know hotels anywhere especially in Pattaya can be a huge hit and miss. Would most definitely consider staying here again next trip.

I give this hotel :bj9::bj9::bj9::bj9: (out of 4)

Cheers!

Edited by LonelyMan

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Thanks for the report on this place.

I have often wondered past that place an looking up thought the rooms would be good in there.

As you said it's a great location!

You could sit on the balcony and call out to the nice looking FL's to come up to your room. :)

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

what was the rate for this room (number etc) and did it have the balcony view that you took pics from, looks perfect, finally did it have a in room safe ...cheers

what was the rate for this room (number etc) and did it have the balcony view that you took pics from, looks perfect, finally did it have a in room safe ...cheers

According to their website 3200 baht a night for seaview in low season!:rolleyes:

If you don't care about the view or location you could get a similar room up in Soi Bua Khao for 4-500 baht in low season!:D

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

Thanks for the report on this place.

I have often wondered past that place an looking up thought the rooms would be good in there.

As you said it's a great location!

You could sit on the balcony and call out to the nice looking FL's to come up to your room. :)

Yes, that balcony is pretty sweet to just chill out on.

I booked the hotel online through agoda, and mine's was a superior beach front (with no sea view). Total for five days was around 242 U.S. dollars which comes out to around 1450 baht per night taxes/fees included.

The balcony I took the pics from is an 'open' public balcony area on the second floor (where my room was). It's for anyone to use. You just walk up the stairs and out to the balcony in front of you. I didn't see anyone chilling there but seems like a cool place to chill and eat something you bought from the streets or just people watch.

And yes it does have a room safe in the closet, one of those heavy duty electronic locks.

According to their website 3200 baht a night for seaview in low season!:rolleyes:

If you don't care about the view or location you could get a similar room up in Soi Bua Khao for 4-500 baht in low season!:D

Plahgat

Yea I wouldn't book any room there if it cost 3200 baht a night, for that price I'd go to the Amari Orchid or Holiday Inn. But for what I paid it is comparable in my opinion to other hotels in that area and the rooms were top notch. I prefer the beach road areas and closer to W.S. the better so that is my primary criteria. Not really a humongous distance from the Soi BK area to W.S. but I just prefer the B.R. area that's all.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I have stayed in this hotel before, it is in a perfect location where everything is easy to find.

2 things you should remember! when you book, you have to tell them your gf name in advance if you're planning to bring someone or they will charge you 200 bhats

There was a drop or 2 of blood on the sheets and they charged us for this, I don't know what's the job of the people that do room services. I have asked me why I would pay for something like this to "Clean it" they said they will buy a new one.... it wasn't convincing at all.

• 2 months later...