Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Stricter Visa regulations

UNREALADDICT

That makes more sense to me. The Thais are smart enough to realise that placing unnecessary inconveniences on potential tourists is not clever.

Last year they were still giving out tourist visa's for free to promote tourism.. Got a double entry visa without problems.. And now they want to make it harder than ever before for people to come to Thailand ?? Seems weird even in Thai logic.. :rolleyes:

If they want me to book for a few nights I could do that, but my main hangout in Thailand does not take bookings, so I can't book for my entire trip..

Edited by flippy

Last year they were still giving out tourist visa's for free to promote tourism.. Got a double entry visa without problems.. And now they want to make it harder than ever before for people to come to Thailand ?? Seems weird even in Thai logic.. :rolleyes:

If they want me to book for a few nights I could do that, but my main hangout in Thailand does not take bookings, so I can't book for my entire trip..

Firstly, this is only Phnom Penh we're talking about so far, so if you're getting a TV in Amsterdam or somewhere then I don't think this is relevant.

The OP here had no bad intentions I know, but the originator on thaivisa got quite a slating for what has been a wind up for most readers. The problem is that people read the headline and miss the detail, as so many have in this thread.

On the other hand, this can be a big problem for those unaware who go to Phnom Penh for a TV.

I met a friend on Saturday who has been here for many years and was blissfully unaware as he headed into Cambodia by land.

With no air ticket or hotel reservation he was predictably refused and arrived back here with only the 15 days.

He now has to fly back in a week or so, with his return ticket and a faked hotel booking as he lives in a house here.

He will then get a TV, but is only allowed two of those in succession. He may even have to get married soon. rolleyes.gif

Flippy - I don't think this is weird logic at all.

They are not doing anything (much) to discourage bona fide tourists. (OK you might have to get a hotel reservation if you apply in Phnom Penh).

I think they are targeting long stayers, some of whom may be working, some with wives etc, who should have the correct Visa and not be mis-using TVs.

In the past, it was the done thing to get eg. Triple Entry TVs which they could drag out for about 9 months.

The Thais want to stop that and force them to get the correct Visa or get out. They are not tourists.

These long stayers have, as well as using TVs (especially while they were free) traditionally been doing low cost land border runs, which brought the Thais only work and no money.

Some went to Vientianne, but most went to Cambodia.

First they introduced a totting up rule - 90 days in 180 or something, but that was just too much hassle.

Then they reduced the Visa Waiver period to 15 days (30 days by air, but they are more likely to be tourists) and I understand there is a restriction on how many you can do in succession (2 or 4 not sure).

Now they've made it more difficult for them to get TVs in Phnom Penh (possibly also Vientiane) and they can only get 2 of those in succession.

Back in your home country, they are tightening up on the justification for applying for a One Year Multi Entry Non 'O' - the long stayer's favourite before the free TVs came along, but if you have a home or a wife or business here that's OK.

Basically, if you're a genuine tourist or you apply for an Extension of Stay (Retirement or Marriage) or you go back home to get the correct long term Visa then there is no problem.

Those who are ducking and diving their way through by misusing the system are under attack it seems.

cocerning your quote

this can be a big problem for those unaware who go to Phnom Penh for a TV.

I met a friend on Saturday who has been here for many years and was blissfully unaware as he headed into Cambodia by land.

With no air ticket or hotel reservation he was predictably refused and arrived back here with only the 15 days.

He now has to fly back in a week or so, with his return ticket and a faked hotel booking as he lives in a house here.

He will then get a TV, but is only allowed two of those in succession. He may even have to get married soong this quote:

it looks like there is no line in it , as i went PP 4 sept , a week before the problems started in PP , so with worry's i went because flight booked before and visa non o 90 days would expiere , so antway would receive 30 days , time if nezeded enough to look for solution

But noneed as i received my Double TR visa at my surprise , i did NOT have hotel booking , but deliverd copy appartment lease 6 months (YES 6 months..!!!) together with letter in Thai stated the lease and delivered by the office for the condminium (Thai Goverment building )

Besides that i delivered on my own initiative KK bank statement ,p^repayd card statement, Pension statement my goverment, flight ticket BKK to PP and return PP to BKK , NO TICKET OUT Thailand !! but stated could be delivered if they gave me wirch type visa would be delivered .so i know for witch dates to make

My passort a recent new one with only the non o immigrant 90 days in it

So i do not know what is ther agenda , or are they using a 1 bath couin to flip after checking documents ...., any way i am greatfull for my luck

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

this can be a big problem for those unaware who go to Phnom Penh for a TV.

So i do not know what is ther agenda .......................

First of all, it would be much better if you didn't chop/delete the quote text, including the brackets [ or type inside someone else's 'box'.

It is very hard to follow who said what otherwise and the sense is lost..

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with? It all seems crystal clear to me.

It sounds like you had a flight ticket and you gave them proof of accommodation (not necessarily hotel is good) plus you apparently had a lot more other paperwork than they needed to shake a stick at - all correct.

There's no coin flipping I'm aware of, the list is pretty clear.

Why were you surprised that you got your Visa? You had them surrounded, whereas my friend took nothing.

I don't think you were lucky at all, just well prepared.

As for their agenda, I just spent quite a while explaining that 2 posts up, so if that didn't help I can't offer anything more.

There's

excuse me for chop/ deleting a part of your post as i only would reply on the "hotel booking part" and to show they seems NOT to mind a long stay tourist as lease 6 months!

but the txt looks so long no other meanings with it.

yes i am always good prepared when dealing with bureaucracy , i do not trust" Mr Murphy & Laws " :unsure::D

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Flippy - I don't think this is weird logic at all.

Agree with what you're saying. There was a hint of sarcasm in my post.. I just believe they have a good system in place, all they need to do is carefully, honestly and consistently enforce it, before they change it again or start giving different instructions to different embassies..

I have many friends that come to Thailand, usually for a few months every year, every year the rules have changed a bit again and every year some people experience major discomfort (the 15 day overland rule was a disaster for many), because they were not aware. Some of these people, who have no interest in living or working in Thailand, got so frustrated, that they decided to go elsewhere this year or at least spent less time in Thailand in favor of surrounding destinations. The only people I found that were fully aware of the regulations and were able to somehow still get around them were those that were targetted..

I'm sure that you are right about the intentions behind the new regulations, I just hope they are aware of how confusing these changes can be for tourists that don't scan the internet to check for changes in immigration policies on a regular basis and this thread proves that it's easier to cause a pannick online, than it is to get the right information across..

I myself was planning to spend some time in Laos, travel back through Cambodia and get a visa there if I had more than 15 days left to spend in Thailand, it now looks like I have to change that plan or just get a double entry again.

It's all good if your informed, but it's not easy keeping up! I think I'll ask for a subscription to "visa today" the next time I visit the Thai embassy..:P

Edited by flippy

Hello?