IGNORED

Stricter Visa regulations

UNREALADDICT

This jsut ticked in:

FLIGHTS AND hotel RESERVATIONS NOW MANDATORY

Stricter requirements for Tourist visa applicants

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok has instructed the Thai Embassies and Consulates abroad to be stricter with requirements when applicants are applying for Tourist visas for Thailand.

The Royal Thai Embassies, Consulates and Consulates-General will from now require a confirmed airline ticket with flight numbers and date of entry/exit, plus confirmed hotel reservations with name and dates of checking in/out.

Required documents are:

- One completed and signed application form

- One photo (colour, size 4 x 6 cm)

- Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)

- hotel reservation in Thailand with name and dates of checking in/out

- Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number and date of entry/exit

Please note that

Consular officers reserve the rights to ask for additional documents as deemed necessary.

In the absence of a required document, a letter indicating the unavailability of such document must be provided.

A new item is added to the list: If a required document is missing, an explanation letter must be provided.

The new requirements have been confirmed by Thaivisa.com and are in effect immediately.

In general I suspect it will get ignored. As asked in the thread on Thai Visa what about those entering on a visa exempt?

BTW here is a link to the source: Stricter requirements for Tourist visa applicants

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Could you please give us the reference for this information ?

I don't find any trace of it on thaivisa.com and also not on the Thai foreign affairs website.

A return flight ticket, and financial requirements I understand, but about an hotel reservation requirement, it is unusual. What about people owing their own condo ?

But as you said, some Thai embassies may ask some people for additional documents.

Edit... Thanks in the meantime to scumbag for providing the reference I asked for.

Edited by teigen

Could you please give us the reference for this information ?

I don't find any trace of it on thaivisa.com and also not on the Thai foreign affairs website.

A return flight ticket, and financial requirements I understand, but about an hotel reservation requirement, it is unusual. What about people owing their own condo ?

But as you said, some Thai embassies may ask some people for additional documents.

Edit... Thanks in the meantime to scumbag for providing the reference I asked for.

Link to story

I've been predicting this for a while but I didn't think it'll start until next year. Our old mate Takky is in charge of Toyland again, sitting on the sidelines pulling the strings on his puppet kid sister, we can expect much more of this farang bashing in the future. Takky dislikes the pension guys, so just wait and see, a raise on the amount of income will be coming soon, plus a raise on the fees. Takky only wants two types of foreigners in Toyland - the very wealthy elite who invest well, and the well off tourists who come for a week or two, stay at 5-star hotels, spend a shitload on shopping, tours and Thai cultural shows, and then fuck off back where they came from. That's what these new rules for tourist visas are all about. As for embassies/consulates ignoring these stricter requirements. Well they certainly haven't ignored the recent order for stricter requirements for the non-imm O multi entry visas, as we have seen by reports from guys around the world on this and other forums.

...recent order for stricter requirements for the non-imm O multi entry visas, as we have seen by reports from guys around the world on this and other forums.

IMO people are confused about what happened with that. There has not been any change in the requirements for the non-imm visas. Certain consulates have been pulled into line with most of the other consulates and embassies. Most of the complaints about that change was about the Hull consulate. It has always been reported that unless you were married to a Thai the embassy in London would not issue a non-imm visa. This has always been the case at most offices. Certain offices more or less disregarded the requirements and that is all that has changed.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

In general I suspect it will get ignored. As asked in the thread on Thai Visa what about those entering on a visa exempt?

BTW here is a link to the source: Stricter requirements for Tourist visa applicants

One Q will be what will be acceptable in an Explanation Letter. Will "I can't be arsed to book a hotel, I'll find one when I get there" suffice I wonder.

More importantly, a couple of the posters over there have backtracked to the source of the story and concluded that it is about tightening up on Visas issued in neighbouring countries such as Laos and Cambodia.

If they are correct (I haven't checked myself because my head still hurts from last night) then that raises quite a lot of Qs for those doing land border runs to get their Visas and that's on top of reports that you can only get 2 in succession without a break.

Perhaps once again, it is aimed at tightening up on those who stay here long term without the correct Visa rather than the masses?

Lifted from Thaivisa :-

Good to see this thread had the desired effect . . . i.e. panicking the dumbed down masses.

The link - http://www.mfa.go.th...01.php?&id=2815 refers only to the applications at the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh. SOmething that must have accidentally been missed out in the original 'news' report.

The MFA is just making it harder for people to get long visas from neighbouring countries. Same as they did for Non Imm visas a few years ago. Anyone with some common sense knows that the rules wont be enforced in a western country, and even if they were, they come with a handy, face saving get out - the applicant can submit a letter to say why they cant provide the correct docs.

I'm not too worried about this until it shows up on my local consulates (Los Angeles USA) webpage. The change I HAVE seen is that application fees for all the visas are going up as of October 1 this year.

TV forum is great at blowing stuff out of proportion.

One Q will be what will be acceptable in an Explanation Letter. Will "I can't be arsed to book a hotel, I'll find one when I get there" suffice I wonder.

More importantly, a couple of the posters over there have backtracked to the source of the story and concluded that it is about tightening up on Visas issued in neighbouring countries such as Laos and Cambodia.

If they are correct (I haven't checked myself because my head still hurts from last night) then that raises quite a lot of Qs for those doing land border runs to get their Visas and that's on top of reports that you can only get 2 in succession without a break.

Perhaps once again, it is aimed at tightening up on those who stay here long term without the correct Visa rather than the masses?

Lifted from Thaivisa :-

That makes more sense to me. The Thais are smart enough to realise that placing unnecessary inconveniences on potential tourists is not clever.

That makes more sense to me. The Thais are smart enough to realise that placing unnecessary inconveniences on potential tourists is not clever.

I'm pretty sure that's it.

If you click on the link given, it takes you to the Thai Embassy.........in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, which is the source of the extract and thereby the story.

It would appear that Western tourists getting TVs in their home country should not be concerned unless or until it spreads to other Embassies and Consulates which seems unlikely.

Hopefully, BMs will read down to these posts, rather than just reading the OP and clicking Reply, thereby feeding the scare frenzy as they seem to be doing on Thaivisa.

The interesting part of the story will be how it affects those BMs who currently take the overland route to Cambodia or Laos to pick up Tourist Visas.

It looks like those are the guys they're trying to force into getting the correct long term Visa......or getting out?

OK it doesn't look as serious as it did at first, nonetheless, there has been a tightening up at Embassies/Consulates as I can attest when I was recently refused any further non-imm O visas in Australia. And note in furryman's post that all visa fees will be incresed in October. There is definetely something afoot.

Required documents are:

- hotel reservation in Thailand with name and dates of checking in/out

I find nothing wrong with the above & don't think it will cause a problem for anyone, only problem I will find is that if I am applying for a single entry visa (60 days) which I do on my hols now, I will find it hard about providing details about hotels as I stay in my house for a few weeks and travel around LOS, but I can explain this in a letter and provide some dates for hotels

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Building A House In The Village

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

I find nothing wrong with the above & don't think it will cause a problem for anyone, ..................

I don't think you read further down eg. Post # 10

So far, this directive has only been seen at the Thai Embassy in Cambodia pertaining to Visa applications there. The apparent problem seems to be for those travelling to Phnom Penh from Thailand, especially by land, in order to get Tourist Visas for a prolonged stay. With the reports of only 2 TVs in succession being allowed, these long stayers may have to go home and apply for the correct Visa.

Nothing so far regarding the masses of regular tourists.

Required documents are:

- Hotel reservation in Thailand with name and dates of checking in/out

I find nothing wrong with the above & don't think it will cause a problem for anyone, only problem I will find is that if I am applying for a single entry visa (60 days) which I do on my hols now, I will find it hard about providing details about hotels as I stay in my house for a few weeks and travel around LOS, but I can explain this in a letter and provide some dates for hotels

As Edge has pointed out this all seems to be about stopping the "visa run' people who make trips to Cambodia & Lao. However, if it does come into force across the world I see heaps wrong with it and see it causing major problems for many tourists. They'll have to plan their entire trips carefully in advance, no room for flexibility, nor room for extensions if they want to stay a bit longer because they're locked into return tickets (which can't be changed with most budget airlines) Someone's on Koh Samui and it's pissing with rain and they want to get the hell out and go elsewhere but they had to reserve hotels (and usually pay) in advance. Or they planned on going to Chiang Mai and had to pay in advance for their hotel but now they want to change and remain in Koh Samui for another week. It'll kill the tourism industry. Terrible idea. It won't make much or any difference to tourists who come on package tours for a few days or a week, but others who want to travel around Thailand and spend a month or 2 or 3 it'll be a bloody nightmare.

Many countries have the ticket/ room confirmation requirment in their visa policy and all travel agencies can set up itinerary draft for both and cancel later. Legislation should be easy to bypass, either with the Thai ingenuity to find new way to make money or simply use a travel agency in home country to set up required docs.

As Edge has pointed out this all seems to be about stopping the "visa run' people who make trips to Cambodia & Lao. However, if it does come into force across the world I see heaps wrong with it and see it causing major problems for many tourists. ..........................

I think when you go through the logistics like that it just illustrates how impracticable it would be.

Even applying TiT, I don't believe it will be extended to regular tourists.

We've had the land border run allowance cut from 30 days to 15.

We've had reports that TVs are being limited to 2 in succession, plus difficulties getting the Multi-entry TVs in Vientianne and Phnom Penh (the ones you can stretch to 6 months).

I'm sure this is one more go at foiling the long stayers on perpetual TVs.

It seems strange to me that these new rules don't appear to make any provision for those travelling by land to get a TV (bit tricky getting an airline ticket)?

Perhaps we'll hear from someone what's happening with those minibus runs to pick up TVs. In Cambodia they seem to be only available to agents through the back door IME so maybe they still will be.

We must be getting close to the point where the only remaining option for those affected is to fly back in and get another 30 days exemption/waiver - an expensive border 'run' every month and watch for news of that one being re-stricted next.

Don't see what the problem for tourists? It doesn't say that you cannot change your itinerary only that you must have one. In USA the ticket was always needed to Apply for a Visa. Simple answer take last years electronic confirmation, edit the dates and Print out. Could do the same with hotel reservation. What do you think will happen to all the copies that you send to the Embassy or Immigration. File it and forget it, if they even bother to file it. Immigration must have at least 20 copies of my passport pages now but they still want more.

Taoism: sh*t happens

Buddhism: if sh*t happens, it isn't really sh*t

Islam: if sh*t happens, it is the will of Allah

Catholicism: if sh*t happens, you deserve it

Judaism: why does this sh*t always happen to us?

Atheism: I don't believe this sh*t

Don't see what the problem for tourists?...............................................

There isn't one. I think you're not reading down the thread either Doc.

At present this is only for applications at Phnom Penh (see above) and maybe Vientianne, not the USof A , so don't get forging anything on account of this lol.

Looking like this wind up will run forever at this rate, though it is of interest to some perhaps.

This is no problem at all for tourist visas, it's just the same as it was before. The form is exactly the same, you just put down your proposed address, for me that will be the first hotel I am booked into even though I plan to move after that, no problem. You do not have to provide proof of this or proof of flights or insurance or anything else. You just sign the form to confirm you have the funds to cover your trip.

Where evidence is needed is if applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa, that is the thing that they are tightening up on as has been said.

It all seems the same as before but if I get refused I will let you know!

This is no problem at all for tourist visas, it's just the same as it was before.

It all seems the same as before but if I get refused I will let you know!

How many times?

Yes, that's what we keep saying, it is just the same, unless you're applying for your Visa at Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

OK - Bored1.gif I'll leave you to it now.

There isn't one. I think you're not reading down the thread either Doc.

At present this is only for applications at Phnom Penh (see above) and maybe Vientianne, not the USof A , so don't get forging anything on account of this lol.

Looking like this wind up will run forever at this rate, though it is of interest to some perhaps.

I did realize that, but for USA tourist visa already have to provide flight details so explaining how I got around that.

Taoism: sh*t happens

Buddhism: if sh*t happens, it isn't really sh*t

Islam: if sh*t happens, it is the will of Allah

Catholicism: if sh*t happens, you deserve it

Judaism: why does this sh*t always happen to us?

Atheism: I don't believe this sh*t

Is this for real? must admit on my last trip immigration did ask where I stay and didn't really like the whole I'm getting somewhere when I get to Pattaya. I was just going to say the name of the last hotel I stayed in when I go back in October as I'm going to spent one night there and the rest with a TG I meet. I'm from Australia so don't need a visa for stays less than 30 days

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening / Morning, this is my first post so sorry if i am a bit far fetched. i am travelling to Thailand on 29/09 and am intending on getting a 60 day TV from Birmingham, i am hoping like many to stay a bit longer, i have booked my flight with the return date within the 60 days and am able to change this if my stay can be extended. i have an apartment booked on a monthly basis so getting confirmation i cant see being an issue i hope ( is this required at the consulate for sure ? ) i was advised that i could extend my visa for periods of 60 days crossing boarders but after much reading am now totally confused on what the score is if someone could confirm who has been through the process recently and not just an assumption on what will happen it would be much appreciated as i am now finding it hard to sleep with all the worries after reading presumptions of what might be. if anyone can confirm the fact that if i enter Thailand with a 60 TV this can be then extended by a further 2 times by crossings it would be much appreciated, also if anyone could advise on exactly what document the consulate will definitely require when i go for the visa like i say i have the return air ticket the address in which i am staying and the photos as requested by the website and when entering Thailand i have my bank statements etc to prove funds. i have spoken to the lady over at Birmingham twice and she has not mentioned the fact i need proof of address and dates of apartment i will be staying at so i am confused in what comments have been added above. also if any one can shed any light on what the below could be required as per the website so i have an idea exactly what i am required to take as its a long trip to have forgotten something, thanks for any comments that you post and once again sorry if i bored the arse off you but this trip is so very important and i want it to work perfect

"Consular officers reserve the rights to request for additional documents as deemed necessary"

Any ideas on what these document might be ???????????

just found the below post which kind of helps i think

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/496408-6-month-tourist-visa/

Edited by butage

.......................... i am confused in what comments have been added above. ...............

"Consular officers reserve the rights to request for additional documents as deemed necessary"

I just don't know how to make it any clearer - these new(ish) rules have been announced and are being enforced at Phnom Penh, not fecking Birmingham.

Birmingham could ask for what they like I suppose, but we've not heard reports from anywhere other than Phnom Penh, where they are refusing.

If you have all the paperwork there's no harm in taking it with you anyway.

Whether or not you can extend your TV by doing a border run depends if you get a Single Entry (No) a Double Entry (Yes) or a Triple Entry (Yes - twice).

All of them can be extended by 30 days at Jomtien for 1900 Baht.

I just don't know how to make it any clearer - these new(ish) rules have been announced and are being enforced at Phnom Penh, not fecking Birmingham.

Birmingham could ask for what they like I suppose, but we've not heard reports from anywhere other than Phnom Penh, where they are refusing.

If you have all the paperwork there's no harm in taking it with you anyway.

Whether or not you can extend your TV by doing a border run depends if you get a Single Entry (No) a Double Entry (Yes) or a Triple Entry (Yes - twice).

All of them can be extended by 30 days at Jomtien for 1900 Baht.

if no visa , you could do border run and use the exemption rule i think , by land 15 days , by air 30 days ,if your country in exemption list

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !!