IGNORED

hardware problem

keithabeers

i'm hopeing that someone out there can help me out with this. i bought a 26 inch LCD HD TV in hopes that i could hook my toshiba laptop to it and use it as an oversized monitor. i used a VGA cable to attach them together and according to my instuctions the computer is supposed to locate the new monitor automatically upon booting up. but that doesnt happen, and i used help to try and reset the properties and everything ...to no avail. and a few times a box popped up saying something about needing a new video card. ok so can anyone tell me what i need to do to get this combo to work for me? i can be reached 24 hrs a day at: [email protected] thanks for all your help in advance....cheers

• 2 months later...

Is it installed under the Device Manager? Windows Button(the one with the wavy squares) + Pause Break. Then choose Device manager.

Can you see any yellow question marks?

• 1 month later...

Its not going to work amigo, like it told you, you will need a new video card. I hooked my laptop up to my TV via VGA and the quality was rather shocking. You can make out a film on the screen but the sound still comes through your laptop, if your trying to do anything other than watching videos then good luck to you. Oh and if you are thinking you can download some HD movies and play them in HD on your TV, think again.... unless your laptop is HD then it wont work, you will need a HD source and scart lead before you will see it on your tv.

Hook your cable to your TV and Laptop go to your properties and display settings, you'll see two screens, the first is your main laptop screen it has a big bright number 1 on it, the other will be faded and say 2, right click the number 2 box and select attach screen. If you are running vista you will be asked if you want to duplicate your main screen or extend it. When i tried it on my XP it only allowed me to extend my original desktop which means anything you want to see on your tv you have to drag from your laptop screen, move it all the way right until it leaves your laptop and appears on the screen of your tv. If you already done this and it didn't work then your video card wont allow it but this is defiantly step by step what all you need to do to get it operating.

Good Luck :Blah2:

Edited by Cicinho

What model TV and laptop do you have? I use a 42' TV with my laptop with no problem. It depends on what laptop you have.