Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Advice needed re O visa retired over 50

scotfan

Hi guys, fairly urgent advice needed re the O Visa retired person visiting Thailand over age 50. I phoned Hull today to check that my plan of getting a triple entry tourist visa and converting to a retired person etc etc was ok. I was going to use this method so that once in Thailand I could open a bank account, transfer enough money to satisfy the requirements and take it from there.

The lady I spoke to said that it was not possible to convert from tourist visa to long stay retirement visa when in Thailand and that I should apply for a non immigrant O before going. Is this right?

If so not really a problem but as I've less than a month before going I'll need to take a road trip to Hull. The requirements for non immigrant visa is income of minimum £900 per month. My pension is slightly under this but I have a balance of more than £10K in my current account. Will I need to obtain proof of other incomes, ie interest from savings etc?

Will I be asked for Police Check because I doubt I can get that quickly (btw I have no criminal record)?

Hi guys, fairly urgent advice needed re the O Visa retired person visiting Thailand over age 50. I phoned Hull today to check that my plan of getting a triple entry tourist visa and converting to a retired person etc etc was ok. I was going to use this method so that once in Thailand I could open a bank account, transfer enough money to satisfy the requirements and take it from there.

The lady I spoke to said that it was not possible to convert from tourist visa to long stay retirement visa when in Thailand and that I should apply for a non immigrant O before going. Is this right?

If so not really a problem but as I've less than a month before going I'll need to take a road trip to Hull. The requirements for non immigrant visa is income of minimum £900 per month. My pension is slightly under this but I have a balance of more than £10K in my current account. Will I need to obtain proof of other incomes, ie interest from savings etc?

Will I be asked for Police Check because I doubt I can get that quickly (btw I have no criminal record)?

It is probably best to contact Hull and ask what thier requirements are. Perhaps someone has recently and can post the details. You should definately get the non-immigrant visa before coming if you can. If you have all the documents it should take long to get one. I got one (although not the retirement visa) in Malaysia a couple of weeks ago. I lodged the application and picked up the passport the following day.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Mate I entered the country on a single entry tourist visa in April. A couple of days later I saw an agent in Pattaya, who was recommended to me by guys on this forum, and the next day my tourist visa had been converted to a Non Imm O and then into a retirement visa, valid for 15 months. Didn't need a police check, it's not a requirement when doing it from inside the country. I already had the dosh in the bank, more than the required amount had been in a Thai account for about 6 months. The total cost, including the agent's fee, all the Thai fees and charges, plus a multiple re-entry visa (needed for trips out of the country) was 25,000Bt. I consider it money very well spent.

I'm not sure from what you say here if you satisfy the income/savings requirements, However, if you are short there are visa agents who can assist with that too.

When you talk to the Thai embassies/consulates abroad everything sounds so difficult but as soon as you get here you'll realize it's pretty easy to get everything sorted to your satisfaction.

Mate I entered the country on a single entry tourist visa in April. A couple of days later I saw an agent in Pattaya, who was recommended to me by guys on this forum, and the next day my tourist visa had been converted to a Non Imm O and then into a retirement visa, valid for 15 months. Didn't need a police check, it's not a requirement when doing it from inside the country. I already had the dosh in the bank, more than the required amount had been in a Thai account for about 6 months. The total cost, including the agent's fee, all the Thai fees and charges, plus a multiple re-entry visa (needed for trips out of the country) was 25,000Bt. I consider it money very well spent.

I'm not sure from what you say here if you satisfy the income/savings requirements, However, if you are short there are visa agents who can assist with that too.

When you talk to the Thai embassies/consulates abroad everything sounds so difficult but as soon as you get here you'll realize it's pretty easy to get everything sorted to your satisfaction.

Thanks for that. As far as savings/income requirements thats no problem. My pension isn't my only income but its the easiest to show, I dont really want to show the details of savings bonds etc because I have online only accounts and they dont come with statements. The 800,000 baht requirement is the option I'd go for because I can easily transfer at least that amount once I've opened an account in Thailand.

25,000 baht to an agent sounds worth it if it will rid me of all the bullshit. If I get a triple entry tourist visa that will cover me for just under 6 months. Would that be enough time to have money in Thai account and for an agent to convert to Non Imm O and then retirement?

Dont suppose you can tell me which agent you used?

Thanks mate

The regulations say the money has to be deposited in a Thai bank account for 3 months. So no problems there. I dealt with Paul Aslett

at Thai Visa Express. 038410776 is the number of the Pattaya office. The service was very fast and professional.

The regulations say the money has to be deposited in a Thai bank account for 3 months. So no problems there. I dealt with Paul Aslett

at Thai Visa Express. 038410776 is the number of the Pattaya office. The service was very fast and professional.

Thanks mate , you're a star. I'll try to get the Non Imm O Visa before I go but if it all goes tits up I'll get my triple entry and speak to Paul Aslett. I'm probably worrying about nothing.

here is some helpful info if you want to change to a O visa here

S: The following tips are based on report(s) from fellow expats:

1. Entering Thailand using the Visa Exemption or a Tourist Visa, contact the Immigration Office where

you plan to apply for a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa to determine if they require you have a minimum

number of days remaining on your permitted “stay” time in the Kingdom. If a Visa Exemption, do so

promptly as there are reports on Thaivisa.com that you must have at least 21 of your 30 days remaining.

2. If you entered using the Visa Exemption or a Tourist Visa and opened a Thai bank account with the

800,000 Baht to meet the financial resource requirement, but it has not been there for the required 60

days - Pattaya Immigration will still issue a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa, thus extending your stay for 90

days - when the funds have been on deposit the required amount of time, you can then apply for the one

year extension of stay (which is usually one year from the 90 days permitted upon issuance of the Non-

Immigrant Visa).

3. Some expats using the 800,000 Baht in the bank to qualify do not like the idea of having to have these

funds on deposit for the 60 (initial) or 90 (renewal) day time requirement as they would rather have the

funds earning a higher rate of interest then that paid by Thai banks - if you have a small amount of

monthly income that can be certified by your Embassy, by using a combination of income and funds in

the bank, there is no requirement that funds be held on deposit for any specified time period. For

example, you have a monthly pension totaling 6,000 Baht per month; this would be an annual income of

72,000 Baht. You would then need at least 728,000 Baht, which can be deposited a few days in advance

of the application.

4. Do not wait till the last day to renew your extension of stay - give yourself time to take care of any

“hitches” that might arise as Thai Immigration is sometimes known to make changes without advance

notice

.............................. I'll try to get the Non Imm O Visa before I go but if it all goes tits up I'll get my triple entry and speak to Paul Aslett. I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Chill - just get a regular TV or One Year Multi-entry Non Imm O and relax.

You definitely can convert from a Tourist Visa to an Extension of Stay (Retirement) aka 'Retirement Visa' when you get here and you don't even have to seed the money (800k) at bank - mine was in for 7 days. You may need to use an agent (total cost about 10-12k Baht) when you get here - eg. Thaivisa Express.

Do not under any circumstances get involved in applying for a Retirement Visa proper before you come - it's more trouble than it's worth (medical, police CR check, finances).

There's nothing wrong with getting a straightforward One Year Multi-entry Non Imm O Visa (stretchable to 15 months). At about 110 quid it's damn good value and gives you loads of time to set up your application for the Extension by yourself, avoiding agents' costs.

If you do it this way, here's how it works HERE

here is some helpful info if you want to change to a O visa here

S: The following tips are based on report(s) from fellow expats:

1. Entering Thailand using the Visa Exemption or a Tourist Visa, contact the Immigration Office where

you plan to apply for a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa to determine if they require you have a minimum

number of days remaining on your permitted “stay” time in the Kingdom. If a Visa Exemption, do so

promptly as there are reports on Thaivisa.com that you must have at least 21 of your 30 days remaining.

2. If you entered using the Visa Exemption or a Tourist Visa and opened a Thai bank account with the

800,000 Baht to meet the financial resource requirement, but it has not been there for the required 60

days - Pattaya Immigration will still issue a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa, thus extending your stay for 90

days - when the funds have been on deposit the required amount of time, you can then apply for the one

year extension of stay (which is usually one year from the 90 days permitted upon issuance of the Non-

Immigrant Visa).

3. Some expats using the 800,000 Baht in the bank to qualify do not like the idea of having to have these

funds on deposit for the 60 (initial) or 90 (renewal) day time requirement as they would rather have the

funds earning a higher rate of interest then that paid by Thai banks - if you have a small amount of

monthly income that can be certified by your Embassy, by using a combination of income and funds in

the bank, there is no requirement that funds be held on deposit for any specified time period. For

example, you have a monthly pension totaling 6,000 Baht per month; this would be an annual income of

72,000 Baht. You would then need at least 728,000 Baht, which can be deposited a few days in advance

of the application.

4. Do not wait till the last day to renew your extension of stay - give yourself time to take care of any

“hitches” that might arise as Thai Immigration is sometimes known to make changes without advance

notice

Chill - just get a regular TV or One Year Multi-entry Non Imm O and relax.

You definitely can convert from a Tourist Visa to an Extension of Stay (Retirement) aka 'Retirement Visa' when you get here and you don't even have to seed the money (800k) at bank - mine was in for 7 days. You may need to use an agent (total cost about 10-12k Baht) when you get here - eg. Thaivisa Express.

Do not under any circumstances get involved in applying for a Retirement Visa proper before you come - it's more trouble than it's worth (medical, police CR check, finances).

There's nothing wrong with getting a straightforward One Year Multi-entry Non Imm O Visa (stretchable to 15 months). At about 110 quid it's damn good value and gives you loads of time to set up your application for the Extension by yourself, avoiding agents' costs.

If you do it this way, here's how it works HERE

Both brilliant replies. I've decided to get a multi entry Non Immigrant O and sort out a Retirement extension when I'm there. May or may not use an agent, I love a challenge. As for the money you've both got it right. Current exchange rates mean my pension is about 600K baht annually, savings and other investments take me comfortably over the minimum requirements. So really I would only need 200K in the bank but will probably transfer more as I'll use that account for day to day living.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Morning,

I'm very glad to have used the forum to gain some advice on accessing a retirement visa for my father. He is 75, and having taken him to the LOS 2 years ago he's become addicted and has been back 5 times since.

He is single, has the means to fulfill financial obligations but needs guidance with issues such as this.

In Perth, the Thai Consulate is no longer so gaining advice "face to face" is not available.

I will steer him toasted using the service recommended and I'm encouraging him to take his son(me) over in November to assist with the organizing. He doesn't know that I've arranged a sneaky side trip already in October so hopefully my plans come off.

Thanks again for the timely advice boys.

Cheers

TRUSTY

Never, under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Morning,

I'm very glad to have used the forum to gain some advice on accessing a retirement visa for my father. He is 75, and having taken him to the LOS 2 years ago he's become addicted and has been back 5 times since.

He is single, has the means to fulfill financial obligations but needs guidance with issues such as this.

In Perth, the Thai Consulate is no longer so gaining advice "face to face" is not available.

I will steer him toasted using the service recommended and I'm encouraging him to take his son(me) over in November to assist with the organizing. He doesn't know that I've arranged a sneaky side trip already in October so hopefully my plans come off.

Cheers

TRUSTY

As long as he arrives with some sort of proper Visa and the financial stuff in order he's good to go and doesn't really need you to hold his hand. rolleyes.gif

If you/he needs any guidance on the ground shoot me a PM in November.

Morning,

Cheers

TRUSTY

Yes, it's a shame that the Perth consulate was closed down. The Canberra Embassy now handles applications from WA. You could contact them for information and guidance.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• 2 weeks later...

I came in on a tourist visa and converted it to a non immigrant O and a retirement visa in Jomtien. No need for a agent to be involved. Big thing to remember is that you must make application for it with at least 7 days remaining on your tourist visa or they will not do it. They will not count he additional 7 day "extension" that you can pay for in Jomtien against this requirement. I ended up going to Cambodia and then re-entering with a 14 day extension. After that I turned in the paperwork and all of the copies and picked up my passport the next day. Good to go for 15 months.