IGNORED

Full lab analysis

Frosty

Where's a good place to get lab work done? Since the rates are low in Thailand I was thinking of getting every lab test available from a blood sample if possible. It would be even better if the hospital could arrange for someone to come to the hotel and take the sample there. If anyone's gone this route what are the rates like?

The rates in Pattaya are not low at all. Unless you are in the US, I suppose. I pay exactly $0 here (name the test and it's $0) and I bet so do people in the UK.

I'd suggest a hospital. Pattaya Memorial is central and their prices are affordable. Such as it is. They do an INR (clotting test) for 450 Baht or $15 that if I need one away form home costs about $4-5 in other countries.

There's a lab near Tony's gym on 3rd road that offers packages. Look for the Pattaya Expat society site - they have a guide to recommended health care providers, doctors, labs, etc.

How are you going to interpret results other than plain positive or negative? Which test do you want? Just an STI screening or the gamut that you'd get with a physical? For STI do you want a quick Anti-HIV or an ELISA test? Chlamydia, Chlamydia IgM or Chlamydia IgG? Keeping in mind if you think you have that you can cure it for $2. The tests are 500-800-1100 Baht.

Do you know what your liver enzymes, CBC , thyroid readings should be? What to do if they are not in the normal range? These labs don't go over the results , they hand you the results. A better bet is to pay a doctor, get his opinion as to your age, shape and lifestyle what woudl be at risk and pay for fewer tests and interpretation.

I really doubt there are outcall phlebotomists. They need quite a set of various vials and so forth so you'd be best served by a hospital lab.

Edited by ricktoronto

The rates in Pattaya are not low at all. Unless you are in the US, I suppose. I pay exactly $0 here (name the test and it's $0) and I bet so do people in the UK.

I'd suggest a hospital. Pattaya Memorial is central and their prices are affordable. Such as it is. They do an INR (clotting test) for 450 Baht or $15 that if I need one away form home costs about $4-5 in other countries.

There's a lab near Tony's gym on 3rd road that offers packages. Look for the Pattaya Expat society site - they have a guide to recommended health care providers, doctors, labs, etc.

How are you going to interpret results other than plain positive or negative? Which test do you want? Just an STI screening or the gamut that you'd get with a physical? For STI do you want a quick Anti-HIV or an ELISA test? Chlamydia, Chlamydia IgM or Chlamydia IgG? Keeping in mind if you think you have that you can cure it for $2. The tests are 500-800-1100 Baht.

Do you know what your liver enzymes, CBC , thyroid readings should be? What to do if they are not in the normal range? These labs don't go over the results , they hand you the results. A better bet is to pay a doctor, get his opinion as to your age, shape and lifestyle what woudl be at risk and pay for fewer tests and interpretation.

I really doubt there are outcall phlebotomists. They need quite a set of various vials and so forth so you'd be best served by a hospital lab.

Agree, the results are pretty meaningless to most folk unless you have a doc to go through them with you, pointing out various levels.

Still negative is negative, and everybody understands that, so if it's just checking for STDs then DIY is OK.

Agree, the results are pretty meaningless to most folk unless you have a doc to go through them with you, pointing out various levels.

Still negative is negative, and everybody understands that, so if it's just checking for STDs then DIY is OK.

No, it's not unless you can understand the results.

See a doctor, how cheap does someone have to be to do medical tests on their own with what, Wikipedia?

For example tell me the pros and cons of aAnti-HIV vs a PCR DNA test for the same thing.

I plan to get a bunch of results to return to my primary care physician. As usual, I'm an over-charge American looking to outsource some lab work to satisfy my curiosity only.