IGNORED

Abbreviations, Local Lingo and Bar Types

1 hour ago, BIGFREE1 said:

How did "GoGo" bar morph into "aGoGo" or "Agogo"?

Where did the "a" come from? Is it as simple as someone saying "It's a GoGo bar" and then the locals sort of just run the 2 words together to form "aGoGo"?

I've seen this many times, but never quite understood the epidemiology.

SEA (south east Asia) has people coming from all over world. English is spoken many different ways, your GoGo is someone else's AGoGo, on this forum you can just put GG.

Case in point. If you ever get to Pattaya you will see signs "Bar Beer" but to you and me it's only Beer Bar. Just have to take it all with a sense of humor.

It's just my opinion. 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scumbag

• Skygod

• rockhard

• Braveheart

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is under development so if you have any suggestions let me know. 3 holer - a woman who takes it in all 3 orifices. 5 - Five in the Thai language is haa. Hence 555 is hahaha, get it!!?? A2M - As

"à gogo" is an informal French translation of the English word "galore," meaning "plentiful" or "in abundance." A British novel titled whisky Galore  by Compton Mackenzie was published in 1947 and a p

HOW ABOUT BAR GIRL TALK   Soi 6. EXCUSE ME SIR CAN I LICK YOUR ASS SOI 7 WELCOME SIR, I WANT TO GO WITH YOU Walking Street HELLO ATM, HOW CAN I EMPTY YOUR ATM?

Posted Images

Two points:

a:

epidemiology is the study (scientific, systematic, and data-driven) of the distribution (frequency, pattern) and determinants (causes, risk factors) of health-related states and events (not just diseases) in specified populations (neighborhood, school, city, state, country, global).

etymology is the study of the origin of words and the ways in which their meanings have changed over time

b:

17 hours ago, BIGFREE1 said:

How did "GoGo" bar morph into "aGoGo" or "Agogo"?

Where did the "a" come from? Is it as simple as someone saying "It's a GoGo bar" and then the locals sort of just run the 2 words together to form "aGoGo"?

I've seen this many times, but never quite understood the epidemiology.

"à gogo" is an informal French translation of the English word "galore," meaning "plentiful" or "in abundance." A British novel titled whisky Galore  by Compton Mackenzie was published in 1947 and a popular film adaptation appeared in 1949.

WhiskyGalore.jpg.6757e0ef38b6ebf1206801dc2905b676.jpg      Whisky_Galore_film_poster.jpg.927b1abc0083268d5d59fedc62105bc4.jpg

In France, the book and film were called whisky à Gogo and Le whisky à Gogo became the name of the first commercially successful discotheque to open in Paris.  In the U.S., several discos opened in the late 1950s and early 1960s that used the whisky a GoGo name. The most famous was located on Sunset Strip in Hollywood.

julian_wasser_whisky_a_gogo_on_sunset_1964_19642012_jwap_43_1280x1024_q801.thumb.jpg.33be080783040dc5a7bfbf0eeff850d7.jpg

It was there  female dancers performed in suspended cages.

Capture.JPG.e88c7fb7d2ad3841aa8b1c0211bc7ae5.JPG  Whiskey_a_go_go.jpg.6c665ce922ba26af7c8ca69c434744fe.jpg

The concept was copied by clubs large and small across the country and became known as "a go gos," especially in the African American community. Many of them had girls perform on narrow stages or the bar.  According to the late Bernard Trink, Bangkok nightclubs began featuring special performances by "go go dancers" in the mid-1960s.  They wore "go go boots;" hot pants or mini skirts; and halter tops. They worked for outside "agencies" and couldn't be bar fined. 

American Rick Menard was the first to introduce go go dancers as a regular feature in the old Grand Prix in late 1969 or early 1970. The Grand Prix had opened in February, 1969. At first, he hired in a few girls to dance on the bar or small platforms.   It proved to be a hugely popular move and Menard installed a stage to accommodate more dancers

At some point, a bar owner, whether Menard or another, got the idea to dress the bar's hostesses in bikinis and have them stand and shuffle (rather than dance) onstage. Other bars quickly followed suit. The go go bar as we recognize it today was thus born. Depending on the whim of authorities at the time, the girls would dance topless or even nude in some bars.

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

"à gogo" is an informal French translation of the English word "galore," meaning "plentiful" or "in abundance." A British novel titled whisky Galore  by Compton Mackenzie was published in 1947 and a popular film adaptation appeared in 1949.

WhiskyGalore.jpg.6757e0ef38b6ebf1206801dc2905b676.jpg      Whisky_Galore_film_poster.jpg.927b1abc0083268d5d59fedc62105bc4.jpg

In France, the book and film were called whisky à Gogo and Le whisky à Gogo became the name of the first commercially successful discotheque to open in Paris.  In the U.S., several discos opened in the late 1950s and early 1960s that used the whisky a GoGo name. The most famous was located on Sunset Strip in Hollywood.

julian_wasser_whisky_a_gogo_on_sunset_1964_19642012_jwap_43_1280x1024_q801.thumb.jpg.33be080783040dc5a7bfbf0eeff850d7.jpg

It was there  female dancers performed in suspended cages.

Capture.JPG.e88c7fb7d2ad3841aa8b1c0211bc7ae5.JPG  Whiskey_a_go_go.jpg.6c665ce922ba26af7c8ca69c434744fe.jpg

The concept was copied by clubs large and small across the country and became known as "a go gos," especially in the African American community. Many of them had girls perform on narrow stages or the bar.  According to the late Bernard Trink, Bangkok nightclubs began featuring special performances by "go go dancers" in the mid-1960s.  They wore "go go boots;" hot pants or mini skirts; and halter tops. They worked for outside "agencies" and couldn't be bar fined. 

American Rick Menard was the first to introduce go go dancers as a regular feature in the old Grand Prix in late 1969 or early 1970. The Grand Prix had opened in February, 1969. At first, he hired in a few girls to dance on the bar or small platforms.   It proved to be a hugely popular move and Menard installed a stage to accommodate more dancers

At some point, a bar owner, whether Menard or another, got the idea to dress the bar's hostesses in bikinis and have them stand and shuffle (rather than dance) onstage. Other bars quickly followed suit. The go go bar as we recognize it today was thus born. Depending on the whim of authorities at the time, the girls would dance topless or even nude in some bars.

Awesome! Thank you so much for putting that together. :Bravo1:

I just know if I hadn't learned this, I would think about where it came from every time I saw an a-GoGo establishment.