IGNORED

Is it better to book hotels online or book yourself in once your there?

eddieD

Hey guys

I've got a bit of a question. Since I'm on a tight bugdet I want to go to pattaya. But is it better to book for a hotel online or is it better to go to hotels and just check in.

I know these websites make a commission. So experts please enlighten me.

Ed

HI Ed

depends on the time of year a little as you may find many of the good places full of the less desirable rooms only available, or when its busy you maybe told that only the expensive rooms are available as they try to sell them first in the hotels.

The good thing about booking online is that you know you have a nice room when you arrive and dont have to wander around and take something at the last min.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Obviously cant do this on your first trip but a friend and I normally phone/facebook/text a thai girl we trust and send her in.

You can make a decent saving this way,one hotel I emailed came back with a price of around 1250 baht.... friend sends in the girl and she comes back with 850 baht same room :o

Google to find the hotels own website and talk to them direct. If they have an on line booking system do not use it as you can probably get a better deal asking via e-mail.

Good question. The only relevant point I can think of is seeing BM's post that they couldn't get the discounted internet rate when they tried to book in person at the front desk, were told to go away and use the internet to bookbiggrin.gif.

If you look at Agoda.com or asiawebdirect.com (the main sites I use), as well as the hotel's own websites, you'll be able to quickly see what the available rates are for the majority of hotels in Pattaya. I like asiawebdirect as unlike Agoda they only charge a deposit with bookings, Agoda goes for the whole amount upfront, room rates are similar.

I honestly don't think that you'll make any big savings by going to Pattaya and trying to book in to a place in person. For me, it's easier to book ahead and have a secured room. As long as you deal with one of the mainstream hotels you're not likely to be unhappy with the place you've picked.

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

Why not do a comparison and take the best deal. see what they cost online with a hotel booking site (agoda), send them an email directly and if you do happened to know someone who is locale...ask them to see what deal they can get for you.

get results.

then decide.

cheers

bert

Pattaya's dead.  You read it here1st.

Look at recommendations on here from TR's.

Then either take a chance and book it for the entire time or book somewhere for a couple of days and then check out places.

Never rock up at places with all your bags...they are much less likely to give you a discount.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I use Booking.com ( nothing taken from your card and no fee to cancel ) and also contact the preferred hotel directly , to see if they will match or better the price

Edited by Stillearly

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

If you are on a tight budget you might consider booking a guesthouse instead of a hotel. Many guesthouses in the Soi Lengkee/Diana/LK metro area.

Everyone has the right to my opinion

When are you going?

No harm in booking a night or two just so you know you've got a room confirmed then having a walk around and bartering for a deal. This way you can have a look at the rooms aswell.

I've booked a week via Agoda then once there will turn up at a few hotels and see what they have available.

I'm edging my bets that a couple I fancy staying in will have a few vacancies so will hopefully get a better rate

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

• 3 weeks later...

i think you book a guesthouse for frist and try to booking in front to hotel reception at the remind night, it may be a perfact plan for the tight budget

Dear Newbe: I think that the guys are all giving you great advice. In my opinion, not to take away from anyone, if you have never been to Pattaya before, are traveling alone, are on a tight budget, and don't know anyone here locally who can check out the property for you, I would definitely book in advance. Additionally, I hope that your budget isn't to tight (laughing). Pattaya can get a bit expensive especially when you commense chasing the girls. Make sure you have a little extra and please don't travel here on a shoestring budget. I have seen many guys get in trouble like that. Just a word of caution. Amante

I booked a room on for a couple of days, they were really dropping the price on the suite to get me to stay. But four flights of stairs didn't appeal to me. If your willing to climb stairs you can save money.

I now only book online for a couple of days, unless I have stayed there before or have recieved reviews.

Which I have found this Forum great for!

I have been stung too many times booking up front only to get there, and the room is nothing like what is shown on their website or the easy access location is overly exagerated, and had no chance of a refund!

So you either put up with the bad choice or end up paying for a room twice because you walk out and find something else.

The couple of days gives you time to have a little look around when I get there as others have said.

You will normally have the chance to extend your stay 90% of the time, and I have also had some really good deals when they try to get the extra nights out of me!

On one of my early trips I had booked online a hotel on Walking Street for a week. They charged my card in full for all seven days. After staying there a couple of days, I realized that I wanted to move out to Soi 7/8 as the rates and rooms were much better. The hotel refused to refund the money if I left early. I had no choice but to stay there.

Now I usually book the first few nights online as I don't want the hassle of looking for hotels after fifteen hours of flight. During low season the rooms are plenty and you can walk in and get good rates. If you like the hotel you initially booked, just extend your stay. Some hotels would quote you the standard rates at the reception, but you can either negotiate or book online to get better rates.

Edited by tikibar

Going straight to reception and check-in won't save you money compare to most online booking.

As said above, it's more a matter of knowing what you get. You can ask to check the room first, drop you luggage in it and go to the reception to pay. this way you have the room you want.

An other rule is not to pay more than 3 nights. Never know what can happen... you may want to move. If you pay 7 days upfront, you're stuck there for 7 days.

But during high season, you'd better book in advance.