IGNORED

WD External Hard Drive

mal129

I have a 500mb WD ext hd and it suddenly stopped working one day. When I plug the light goes on solid, and my computer recognizes the device, but cannot read it. I've tried using a different USB cord and tried two different computers with the same results. I've checked the supports forums and it seems to be attributed to a poorly assembled product.

Has anyone else expereinced this tyoe of thing? How was it fixed? Any recommendations at Tuk or anywhere else?

I have most of the CPT, ASM, & ASD videos on there among other videos. I will upload if I can retrieve them.

Cheers and thanks.

Sex is like air, it's not important unless you aren't getting any

I was wondering if the file system had somehow gotten corrupted. Have you tried running the error checker under 'properties' - 'tools' ?

Be scene and not herd.

Put it in the deepfreezer for 1 night....

Mai pen rai...

....................... Any recommendations at Tuk or anywhere else?

I have most of the CPT, ASM, & ASD videos on there among other videos..................................

It may not be the best idea to take it into TukCom? Whistle.gif

I had a shot drive once. I managed to get my data off it by buying another one, exactly the same model and switching the circuit board. Not sure if that is still possible. Mine was a 20 meg drive, yes meg!!! They may have changed design since and made board swapping more difficult.

Put it in the deepfreezer for 1 night....

Be very careful of condensation and moisture problems if you try this

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

You can try to cnnoect it straight inside your computer on the sata port. solve 90% of problems.

If it doesn't work :

Is the HDD turning when power is on ? If yes, try some recovery tools or change the circuit board as suggested PPLPew

If no turning, you're probably done, don't loose your time...

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll give them a try.

It may not be the best idea to take it into TukCom? Whistle.gif

ha ha yeah that's what I was thinking too....

your usb cable maybe bad. get a replacement one. at pantip plaza on the third floor next to the rear escalators, there is a repair shop there that sells them for 30 baht. the guy just has a box sitting next to his shop with a sign saying "30 baht". get one. always good to have a spare.

another thing I would try...

install "advanced systemcare" on your computer and run that on your external drive.

one more possibility..

is the hard drive FULL?