IGNORED

Hungry Ghost Festival in Thailand

sktoo

Hi guys, anyone know if the Hungry Ghost festival is celebrated in Thailand? Particularly in place such as hatyai, sadao or danok. The main requirement is that it has the deity figure like those in attach photos.

Thanks

post-63639-0-13492900-1312789681.jpg

post-63639-0-72214000-1312789684.jpg

post-63639-0-92250100-1312789692.jpg

Hope to get reply by tomorrow, going offline for long time after that..

Hungry ghost festival is generally celebrated by the Chinese (Taoism). It takes place on the 7th lunar month where the souls in the underworld are released (Something like a holiday). The living will burned items made of paper & food offerings to the souls.

The paper figure is one of the main hell gods. Hatyai, Sadao & Danok are closer to Malaysia & frequently visited by Malaysian Chinese, that's why there's celebration of this festival.

It's better to pay now then to pay later. Nothing is free.

I only heard of the annual Phi festival in loei province

Here's a link to some info on that

http://www.thaiguidetothailand.com/festivals/ghost-festival-thailand-phi-ta-khon/

Thanks for the link, I'll mark up my calender for next year event.

Hungry ghost festival is generally celebrated by the Chinese (Taoism). It takes place on the 7th lunar month where the souls in the underworld are released (Something like a holiday). The living will burned items made of paper & food offerings to the souls.

The paper figure is one of the main hell gods. Hatyai, Sadao & Danok are closer to Malaysia & frequently visited by Malaysian Chinese, that's why there's celebration of this festival.

the attach picture was taken in Malaysia, now I'm looking for the same thing in south Thailand. Any clue on where is it?

Edited by sktoo

the attach picture was taken in Malaysia, now I'm looking for the same thing in south Thailand. Any clue on where is it?

No idea but try area porpulated with the Chinese. Why would you want to look for Taosim tradition in a Buddhism country?

Edit: Do pardon me for misread your initial question :)

Edited by zmanz

Here's from google search :)

http://www.phuket.com/events.htm

Por Tor Festival (aka the Hungry Ghost)

Date: August 16 - 17, 2011

The 'Hungry Ghost' festival is an important merit-making event for the ethnic Chinese. Special food, flowers and candles are offered to ancestors on altars. Other offerings are made to 'feed the ghosts without relatives' that are said to have been released from hell for the month. Experience this beautiful event for yourself at any Chinese Shrine on the island on Sunday, August 14. Or if you want to enjoy one of the biggest Hungry Ghost celebrations in Phuket head to the fresh market on Ranong Road on August 16-17. The whole market and nearby areas will be colourfully decorated and feature interesting activities from about noon until midnight including the traditional merit-making ceremony, lion dances , magic shows, live concerts, cabaret shows and many more stage shows. Also expect to see plentiful local food stands during the two-day event.

Read more: Phuket Festivals & Events - Calendar of Events http://www.phuket.com/events.htm#ixzz1UVq7wmHf

Thanks zmanz for the useful information and link. :001_Thank_You5:

The reason I was looking for this festival in Thailand is because in every country, they have different way of celebrating it, even in Malaysia, there's different style in each state. The photos taken was in northern part of Malaysia. And since I was staying near Malaysia-Thailand border currently, I decided to try my luck in Thailand. :P

**Hopefully more will share the information & knowledge if they have**

• 1 month later...