IGNORED

Bintabaht?

I am interested in participating the old, still common daily custom of feeding the local monks, what I believe is called "bintabaht". Early in the morning, monks from the local temple walk through the streets, accepting food from Thais who are waiting for them to pass by. Wais are exchanged, and the monks hold out baskets for the people to place food in. What are the details how to do this? What time of day does this happen? What kind of food do you give them? I assume they don't take Cheetos and a Singha or two. I have heard there are prepackaged packs of food espescially for this. Where do you get these, the 7-11? Can you ask them to anoint your head with water, to spread karma to ancestors? And just what flavor of Buddhism is this?

See them each morning from my Condo and during my morning walking along Jomtien beach. Not sure how it works, but assume someone on here will!!!

Good topic.

Daryle

I've had various wifes/GFs do this, always early morning when the monks make their rounds, you can often see them when you're on your way home from the bars/clubs. Usually the women cook some food, just general Thai food, and they scoop that into the monk's bowl. You could buy some food at a market, like those little rice and banana cakes wrapped up in banana leaves, that sort of thing, and when they monks come along in a line you place one in each monks bowl. I can't remember if the Thais wai before or after when doing this, but that's easy to fix: just watch a Thai and do the same as them.

I've never seen this but would like to.

Looks like I will have to get up early one morning or better yet maybe just not go to sleep.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I've never seen this but would like to.

Looks like I will have to get up early one morning or better yet maybe just not go to sleep.

This is the traditional ways. IIRC, those along the streets are simpler. :)

It's better to pay now then to pay later. Nothing is free.

See them each morning from my Condo and during my morning walking along Jomtien beach.

Then you must have some idea about what time they make their rounds.

Thanks for the video.

Now I do not have to get up early to see it. :)

PS for those interested I think the official name for it is Tam Bun (written phonetically)

It's an offering of food to a monk/way of bringing good luck.

At least that is what my Thai language program is saying.

Perhaps Doc O'B can elaborate for us.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

paging Doc winston O boggie for enlightenment :)

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

I am interested in participating the old, still common daily custom of feeding the local monks, what I believe is called "bintabaht". Early in the morning, monks from the local temple walk through the streets, accepting food from Thais who are waiting for them to pass by. Wais are exchanged, and the monks hold out baskets for the people to place food in. What are the details how to do this? What time of day does this happen? What kind of food do you give them? I assume they don't take Cheetos and a Singha or two. I have heard there are prepackaged packs of food espescially for this. Where do you get these, the 7-11? Can you ask them to anoint your head with water, to spread karma to ancestors? And just what flavor of Buddhism is this?

Google "Thai morning alms" and you'll get all you are looking for;

http://www.thaibuddhist.com/alms_round.html

Oops1.gifwhat was i surprised to see the subject of this topic wasn't about Soi Binthabaht in Hua Hin. I didn't read the small letters as usual!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

Oops1.gifwhat was i surprised to see the subject of this topic wasn't about Soi Binthabaht in Hua Hin. I didn't read the small letters as usual!

Soi Binthabaht in Hua Hin was supposedly named for this practice. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind "doing" that other binthabaht, as well!

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. But I would just want to give them food as they pass by, not the bow-and-scrape part. And i know to do the full Wai, with the fingers pointing horizontally and the nose touching my thumb.

Love your avatar, BTW, Gives me a tongue erection every time! ;-)

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. But I would just want to give them food as they pass by, not the bow-and-scrape part. And i know to do the full Wai, with the fingers pointing horizontally and the nose touching my thumb.

Love your avatar, BTW, Gives me a tongue erection every time! ;-)

Thanks :) IIRC, to Wai to monk you are supposed to touch the eyebrow.

May good karma be blessed upon your good actions :)

It's better to pay now then to pay later. Nothing is free.