Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Buddhism

hi all, i see buddhism as a great way of life, the way people conduct themselves and dont get angry and all in all learn to have a happy, non-materialistic life.

Yes you can mention, what about the BGs and the modern materialistic thai, i'm not interested in their way of life just want to understand the buddha better, any advice?

It may seem that way but it can be deceptive. Thais certainly get angry, very very angry in fact, so angry they get guns and blow some fuckers head off. They seem to bottle it up inside more than we do, and then explode. Personally I think our way is healthier. In my relationships with Thai girls over the years I'll often get worked up over something and rant and rave and let off steam and then it's over, finshed. But they'll keep something that bugs them locked inside for ages and allow it to ferment until it destroys the relationship.

As for understanding Buddism more there are Buddist temples and Buddist societies all over the world. I see your in UK. If you Googled Buddism and your location then something will come up. You can go to the nearest Buddist center and practice meditation and study the teachings of Buddha.

hi all, i see buddhism as a great way of life, the way people conduct themselves and dont get angry and all in all learn to have a happy, non-materialistic life.

Yes you can mention, what about the BGs and the modern materialistic thai, i'm not interested in their way of life just want to understand the buddha better, any advice?

Like any religon, different people/country has different interpretations. IMHO, it's a guide towards good and not every can be a saint.

Based on what you said, I believe what you are after is the teaching of Zen. My limited knowledge of it is to have acceptance of everything.

Not really about being happy, but about accepting things as they are. No past and future, just the present.

Not about non-materialistic lifestyle, but accepting what you have. Other's thoughts of you doesn't matter. If you are rich, you don't need to make yourself look poor. If you are poor, you don't need to pretend to be well-off.

Again these are just my limited understanding.

It's better to pay now then to pay later. Nothing is free.

Also it is about trying to kill the need/want instead of trying to fulfill it. For instance some people need a big house and will find ways to get it by working hard for many years to fulfill their dream. Well instead you could kill this need for a big house and so you'll free up a lot of time to do other things, like nothing and meditation :-) Since you won't have that wish anymore, you won't be sad if you don't get it (which you probably won't get since you're doing nothing for it)

Like any religon, different people/country has different interpretations. IMHO, it's a guide towards good and not every can be a saint.

Based on what you said, I believe what you are after is the teaching of Zen. My limited knowledge of it is to have acceptance of everything.

Not really about being happy, but about accepting things as they are. No past and future, just the present.

Not about non-materialistic lifestyle, but accepting what you have. Other's thoughts of you doesn't matter. If you are rich, you don't need to make yourself look poor. If you are poor, you don't need to pretend to be well-off.

Again these are just my limited understanding.

Most interesting thoughts zmanz. I recently became a Taoist. Seemed to me Tao teachings make more sense than any of the others. I think Buddism looks impressive at first but I'm not impressed with the Thai version, monks teaching all life is sacred then they eat meat, I'm vegetarian and couldn't take Thai Buddism seriously after watching those monks filling their bellies with bits of dead animals.

Even though I,m a catholic , I prefer Buddhism than a catholic because of their humble ways... Seen a monk talking to a skim shirts and see through shirt BG's on the beach rd with full of attention and respect for them even though the BG's are doing the adulterys work, You would not see that in the Papal chapel...They would be kicked out.. Plus the Buddhism had marvellous teachings and understandings , they teaches families to stick together and respect the elders, that why they can manage to live without the Governments handouts/dole/Social welfare etc... ....

may Allah be with you.

that was the question....right?

cheers

bert

Pattaya's dead.  You read it here1st.

may Allah be with you.

that was the question....right?

cheers

bert

I hope that's a pun

Having spent some time in the Middle East I can say that there is no Salvation there.

Buddhism gets my vote, probably because I am not bound by its intricacies and view it from an ignorant Farangs' perspective.

Most interesting thoughts zmanz. I recently became a Taoist. Seemed to me Tao teachings make more sense than any of the others. I think Buddism looks impressive at first but I'm not impressed with the Thai version, monks teaching all life is sacred then they eat meat, I'm vegetarian and couldn't take Thai Buddism seriously after watching those monks filling their bellies with bits of dead animals.

Buddhism comes in 2 sects. Those more towards China are mostly vegetarian and those more towards Tibet can eat meat. Buddha to my knowledge/understanding doesn't condemn meat eating. The teach is that one should treasure all form of life. I don't recall that if one is a vegetarian, one will be more holly or one will be closer to him. In the end it's how his followers interpretations of his teaching.

It's like Taoism, some are vegetarian and some aren't. There are some who insist Buddism comes from Taoism, some just believe Taoism & Buddism are of same family. To my understanding, Tao is more towards seeking enlightenment of the universe. Whereas Buddhism is more toward acceptance of the universe.

In any case, I think all religions are good as long as they guide you on the right path. There's none better than the other (at least I try to believe).

Again these are just my comments based on personal understanding :)

One of the great things about Buddhism (in my mind) is how much it acknowledges that each individual has their own path to walk, and does not try to force them onto some 'straight and narrow' road.

Like most religions, there are a lot of different 'flavors' of Buddhism, but the core message is pretty much the same.

http://www.aboutbuddha.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha

Also it is about trying to kill the need/want instead of trying to fulfill it. For instance some people need a big house and will find ways to get it by working hard for many years to fulfill their dream. Well instead you could kill this need for a big house and so you'll free up a lot of time to do other things, like nothing and meditation :-) Since you won't have that wish anymore, you won't be sad if you don't get it (which you probably won't get since you're doing nothing for it)

Teaching of "Emptiness" :)

To my understanding it's not about doing nothing. You just end up doing what you have to do. Since a clean house is obviously better than a dirty messy one, you just have to clean it. In the process of cleaning not allow your mind to sway elsewhere.

After cleaning, you need to eat. You'll have to do what you need to have a meal. In that process you try not to let your mind sway elsewhere.

After you ate, you have to re-forcus & reset. So it's chanting. There are knowledge in whatever is chant. What you interpret this morning, might be a little different of what you interpret now.

After those long hours of chanting. You need eat again. After that you have to relax the mind. So it's meditation. Since you have your mind relaxed, the flow is to sleep.

When you wake up you need to feel life. You go walk around and see the world as it is. There you'll find food alone the way. Also to help or be helped.

The days just repeat itself till either you give up or you find acceptance to the way of life.

Again these are just my limited understand :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to point out that with Theravada Buddhism (the thai way). It is in the precepts that we all take the responsibility to uphold in our lives that we will not kill any living animal. Some Thai's will eat meat some wont. I am not Thai but am of the sangha of Theravada and I do eat meat. It is not because I am not trying to follow the path of Buddah but because it would lead me to suffering to attempt to be a vegetarian in this country (i have tried). Keep in mind the monks are in the same deliema, they eat what is offered. If that is meat, then what can you do?

Hi na-rak,a web site that my thai GF listens to is at www.dhamma today, they have english version as well.

sorry not sure how to send a link

hope this helps

rickyt

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/165739-5-days-in-issarn-udon-thani-loei-chiang-khan-mekong-pictorial-report/

You can take the monger out of the bar but you can never take the bar out of the monger

I just want to point out that with Theravada Buddhism (the thai way). It is in the precepts that we all take the responsibility to uphold in our lives that we will not kill any living animal. Some Thai's will eat meat some wont. I am not Thai but am of the sangha of Theravada and I do eat meat. It is not because I am not trying to follow the path of Buddah but because it would lead me to suffering to attempt to be a vegetarian in this country (i have tried). Keep in mind the monks are in the same deliema, they eat what is offered. If that is meat, then what can you do?

Nah sorry that's a cop out. For both you and the orangemen. There's no suffering at all in vegetarian food, it's absolutely delicious nutritious tasty and incredibly inexpensive. The suffering comes when you have bowel and colon cancer after decades of having decaying animal flesh in your intestines.

I asked Thais why their monks eat meat and they give me the same cop out excuse - convenience. Well I don't think convenience is one of the key factors in the path to enlightenment.

One either believes that all life is sacred and we should not kill any living thing. Or one does not believe this.

There's this saying in Chinese "酒肉穿肠过,佛祖心中留" Means although wine & meat passes through the body, Buddha still remains in ones heart.

IIRC, it came with a story of an enlightened monk being forced to eat meat.

Try Buddha net. Itsl all there.

"Man...Because he sacrifies his health in order to make money. Then sacrifies money to recuperate his health. And then his so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if hes never going to die, and then dies having never really lived "

The universal foundation of all sects are the four noble truths.

1. The truth that Life is suffering.

2. The truth of the origin of suffering.

3. The truth of the cessation of suffering

4. The truth of the path that leads to the cessation of suffering.

Once we are born we are subject to old age sickness and death. In between birth and death we are subject to relentless sufferings and disatisfaction in normal life. The origin of our sufferings is attachment to our desires which leads to constant craving which is a form of suffering. When we detatch from the cravings suffering ceases. The proper way of living life diminishes the suffering which in turn leads to happiness which is the path.

There are many variations in Buddhism. Regarding eating meat, if is generally beneficial to not eat meat. Buddha ate meat. He ate what he was given. TThe main point is to inflict the least amount of suffering as possible. Buddhism should be non judgemental. If a person eats meat, he is doing the best that he can. Buddhism is a philosophy of freedom as long as we do not hurt others. Just do the best you can with no judgement. Ideals are ideals ffor a reason, and few can live to an ideal, but just do the best they can at the moment they are in.

Nah sorry that's a cop out. For both you and the orangemen. There's no suffering at all in vegetarian food, it's absolutely delicious nutritious tasty and incredibly inexpensive. The suffering comes when you have bowel and colon cancer after decades of having decaying animal flesh in your intestines.

I asked Thais why their monks eat meat and they give me the same cop out excuse - convenience. Well I don't think convenience is one of the key factors in the path to enlightenment.

One either believes that all life is sacred and we should not kill any living thing. Or one does not believe this.

There is not much left to eat without killing any living thing as plants are also living things.

I think something you are missing is that Buddhism is not about hard and fast laws and commandments, but about reaching an understanding of how the universe operates and using that understanding to reduce suffering. Not eliminate suffering, because that is impossible.

:rolleyes: very interesting question,,,,,,,knowing this is a falang,,, web site,,,,, and want to know information,,,,,, about,,,, poon tang,,,,, and pattaya,,,,,,,,,and your asking about,, buddhism,,,,,,,,,,,all i can say is,,,,,, VERY INTERESTING QUESTION !~

Nah still don't buy it. I've met Chinese, Japanese & Indian Buddhist and Indian Hindu/Brahmans their monks and priests are all vegetarians, it just seems this wishy-washy Theravada lot in this neck of the woods who have twisted things around to suit their own laziness. A meat eating Buddhist monk. LOL... It's like saying a bacon eating Rabbai, or a pork-eating Imam.

Nah still don't buy it. I've met Chinese, Japanese & Indian Buddhist and Indian Hindu/Brahmans their monks and priests are all vegetarians, it just seems this wishy-washy Theravada lot in this neck of the woods who have twisted things around to suit their own laziness. A meat eating Buddhist monk. LOL... It's like saying a bacon eating Rabbai, or a pork-eating Imam.

I think you are still stuck in a black and white, right way vs wrong way mindset. Everyone's way is different.

Without getting too deep into the interpretation and different types of Buddhism I found the following information that was interesting.

The minimal requirement for a Buddhist is to follow the five precepts (since no one commands compliance, they are more like truths, in contrast to our commandments which are orders from God, hence the word precept).

These are: abstaining from telling lies, stealing, improper sexual behavior, consuming substances which cloud the mind (e.g. alcohol), and of course the taking of life - that is, any life, not just human life.

The basis for discouraging these activities is that they have a negative effect on the mind, obscuring the true reality. Because people are forced to participate in the material world, and consequently do not always follow these precepts (for example, most people eat meat, which encourages a disrespect for life), their formalized ceremonies are all the more important for them, as they provide opportunities to gain merit, which can compensate for their failings.

The sum of all this results in karma, which determines the situation one is reborn in and the nature of one's next life. Bad karma would result in being reborn at a lower level, in extreme cases as an animal, or to wander without any rebirth at all, and remain a spirit.

Merit may sound like grace to Christians, and karma as some sort of reward or punishment, but there is an important philosophical difference. Merit is a power, a force, and karma is a law of reality, like the law of gravity.

The general way to obtain merit is to be kind and compassionate, and may account for the typically somewhat milder nature of Buddhist peoples.

Most followers, however, put great emphasis on more formal offerings, mainly to the monks and the Temple (the Buddhist church and clergy are referred to as the Sangha). This can be done on a daily basis, as almost every morning the monks go out on their alms round to receive the food offerings of the people (the sole source of food for the monks).

On the days of full moon, new moon, first quarter and half moon, the monks do not go out and the devout should go to the temple to make the offering. These days are called Wan Pra, or Buddha days.

Of course, to be ordained as a monk is a way to gain the largest quantity of merit. However, this route is only open to men, as women cannot be monks (although they can be nuns).

The way around this for women, is to have their sons, before they get married, become monks and gain the merit for them. This typically occurs during the Pansa, the religious period from August to October, when religious activities are intensified as mentioned above. In theory, this means that every male has had the experience of serving as a monk for at least 3 months in his lifetime. This practice is on the decrease however.

In contrast to lay people, monks must adhere to 227 rules, called the Pattimoka.

They cannot eat after 12:00 noon, and are not able to touch a female creature.

They are also not supposed to touch money, although these days it is common to see monks shopping.

Reading this I kept thinking that it explains quite a few things that sometime puzzle me about thai behaviour. Obviously this only scratches the surface but it is a start.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire