IGNORED

Pattaya Bay Resort

Shuggy

The pictures in the original post bring back some good memories of my stay there back in July 2007. I would have stayed there again over New Year just gone, but the prices were just a too high.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mavrick

• Shuggy

• sheerguy29

• THguypattaya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Staying at the Pattaya Bay Resort in a standard room right now.

Pros:

- Extremely affordable, monthly rate is 19500 baht = about 630 baht a night

- Clean rooms, and new.

- Location is great, very close to 2 major malls.

- Endless hot water, as the water heaters are electric and instantaneous.

- AC is very cold and has a programmable remote control.

- Nice big fridge for storing drinks and food.

- Full gym on floor 7.

Cons:

- Water pressure for shower is terrible.

- Only one elevator for an 8 story hotel with many rooms, takes forever to get the elevator at times.

- WiFi coverage is spotty throughout building. Some rooms have great connections, others poor.

- Noise is a real issue if you're a light sleeper. Construction, dogs barking, people fucking, other rooms TVs and conversations, and any activity in the hallway can be heard.

- Mosquitos get into your room. This is due to the permanently open hallway windows, poor design.

- Floor design in bathroom is multi level, so it's easy to smash your foot on it coming through the doorway. Even one of my girls almost fell, haha!

- TV reception varies from room to room.

- Communication is tough with the staff due to language barrier.

- Room electricity is bound to a keycard, so when you leave there is no juice to charge your stuff.

All in all, I give Pattaya Bay Resort a C+ for effort. But it's tough to complain too much when a new hotel is 630 baht a night. I'll certainly consider staying here in the future.

Edited by tetrapod

• 1 month later...

The place looks great but, tough to book a room these days. I tried but they are book solid.

looks lovely - might just treat ourselves come april depending on joiner fees outcome :P ( i have emailed them)

I agree thanks for the photos...looks good hotel!

Staying at the Pattaya Bay Resort in a standard room right now.

Pros:

- Extremely affordable, monthly rate is 19500 baht = about 630 baht a night

- Clean rooms, and new.

- Location is great, very close to 2 major malls.

- Endless hot water, as the water heaters are electric and instantaneous.

- AC is very cold and has a programmable remote control.

- Nice big fridge for storing drinks and food.

- Full gym on floor 7.

Cons:

- Water pressure for shower is terrible.

- Only one elevator for an 8 story hotel with many rooms, takes forever to get the elevator at times.

- WiFi coverage is spotty throughout building. Some rooms have great connections, others poor.

- Noise is a real issue if you're a light sleeper. Construction, dogs barking, people fucking, other rooms TVs and conversations, and any activity in the hallway can be heard.

- Mosquitos get into your room. This is due to the permanently open hallway windows, poor design.

- Floor design in bathroom is multi level, so it's easy to smash your foot on it coming through the doorway. Even one of my girls almost fell, haha!

- TV reception varies from room to room.

- Communication is tough with the staff due to language barrier.

- Room electricity is bound to a keycard, so when you leave there is no juice to charge your stuff.

All in all, I give Pattaya Bay Resort a C+ for effort. But it's tough to complain too much when a new hotel is 630 baht a night. I'll certainly consider staying here in the future.

The mosquitos alone are enough to give the place a thumbs down. I'm glad you warned me about this. Overall, this review is quite different and far more critical than the others I have read about PBR. Does not look like a very good place to stay IMHO.

We stayed in this hotel in March and can honestly say it got a massive thumbs down from us.

Yes I agree with the previous posters points but to further clarify.

Arrival at the airport -

On the hotel website it states they have their own private airconditioned resort cars, b*ll*cks. We paid for a luxury mini bus and was sent a beat up old bus and had to direct him to the hotel.

On the hotel website it states -When you arrive at the Pattaya Bay Resort, you will be greeted by our reception staff in the traditional Thai manner - the "Wai" as a sign of respect, presented with a cool cloth towel to wash your hands and refresh your face and given a cold tropical fruit drink to quench your thirst- b*ll*cks - they stood behind the desk, were rude, no cloth, no Wai and a plastic carton of water. They seem to have forgotton we were coming, demanded the full amount up front for the 3 weeks stay as well as the deposit. Refused to put the deposit on the credit card unless it was actioned immediately (Not as our emails showed that they would just guarantee the amount on the card). Suffice to say they got neither, we arranged to speak to the manager the following morning. She didn't turn up, so they never got a penny out of us until we left.

Our room (one bedroom) was supposed to have free daily coffee and we were told that although a coffee machine was provided it was up to us to provide the coffee. We challanged it and they eventually gave us 2 sachets of ready mix coffee a day.

The door staff were ignorant, more interested in having a cig, chatting with their mates or watching the tv in reception to open the door when you left or arrived at the hotel.

Walking down the driveway to the hotel was a case of trying to avoid the cockroaches.

The smell round the hotel was horrible.

The pool is very small and god forbid you want to horse around, don't, the mucky looks and glares from the mongerers sleeping off their hangovers whilst getting tans is enough to put off even the most thick skinned of you.

Everything cooked tasted of fish. I think they cook in fish oil.

The ROOM!!! lol spacious, clean, new BUT the walls are that thin the people next door can hear you put a plug in the wall, open a door etc. The guy next door to us was considerate he put the tv on full blast so we couldn't hear him shagging .....pmsl. You're kept awake with people coming back, doors opening and closing, chairs scrapping across the floor etc etc. I really like hard beds (I have one at home) but these are like concrete.

So all in all a 3/10, we lasted 4 nights and moved on. I think a board member actually got our room as he moved from Sabai Lodge to PB on the day we did it the opposite way round :)

We stayed in this hotel in March and can honestly say it got a massive thumbs down from us.

Yes I agree with the previous posters points but to further clarify.

Arrival at the airport -

On the hotel website it states they have their own private airconditioned resort cars, b*ll*cks. We paid for a luxury mini bus and was sent a beat up old bus and had to direct him to the hotel.

On the hotel website it states -When you arrive at the Pattaya Bay Resort, you will be greeted by our reception staff in the traditional Thai manner - the "Wai" as a sign of respect, presented with a cool cloth towel to wash your hands and refresh your face and given a cold tropical fruit drink to quench your thirst- b*ll*cks - they stood behind the desk, were rude, no cloth, no Wai and a plastic carton of water. They seem to have forgotton we were coming, demanded the full amount up front for the 3 weeks stay as well as the deposit. Refused to put the deposit on the credit card unless it was actioned immediately (Not as our emails showed that they would just guarantee the amount on the card). Suffice to say they got neither, we arranged to speak to the manager the following morning. She didn't turn up, so they never got a penny out of us until we left.

Our room (one bedroom) was supposed to have free daily coffee and we were told that although a coffee machine was provided it was up to us to provide the coffee. We challanged it and they eventually gave us 2 sachets of ready mix coffee a day.

The door staff were ignorant, more interested in having a cig, chatting with their mates or watching the tv in reception to open the door when you left or arrived at the hotel.

Walking down the driveway to the hotel was a case of trying to avoid the cockroaches.

The smell round the hotel was horrible.

The pool is very small and god forbid you want to horse around, don't, the mucky looks and glares from the mongerers sleeping off their hangovers whilst getting tans is enough to put off even the most thick skinned of you.

Everything cooked tasted of fish. I think they cook in fish oil.

The ROOM!!! lol spacious, clean, new BUT the walls are that thin the people next door can hear you put a plug in the wall, open a door etc. The guy next door to us was considerate he put the tv on full blast so we couldn't hear him shagging .....pmsl. You're kept awake with people coming back, doors opening and closing, chairs scrapping across the floor etc etc. I really like hard beds (I have one at home) but these are like concrete.

So all in all a 3/10, we lasted 4 nights and moved on. I think a board member actually got our room as he moved from Sabai Lodge to PB on the day we did it the opposite way round :Bravo1:

Don't recognise this at all. Sure you got the right hotel? I live in Bangkok and have always stayed at the PBR on my frequent visits to Pattaya. Apart from the occasional noise problem I've never experienced any of the problems you raise. Did you speak to Kim the owner? The staff have always been great.

I would say however that if some twattish British "lads" were "horsing" around the pool during the day I'd be glaring with the other mongerers (sic). I'm sure the hotels in Benidorm and Ibiza are fine for that sort of thing...

Edited by brewster

Shuggy, Do you have a update on this place ? thanks mate.

She Loves Me I Love United That's Life !!!

Man UTD Isn't Just A Team, Its A RELIGION !

You can be my Wife but only for Tonight !

No, they don't. We were siting at Easy Rider, second road, above Big C with 4 people all from PBR. It was raining like hell and I gave them a call. Offered to pay, but they refused and insisted on picking us up at Soi Diana or 15, what wasn't helpfull at all. We took a Bahtbus for 200 Bht instead. You know how these gangsters are ripping you off, when it's raining heavily. I wouldn't have had a problem with paying 200 for the hotel tuk tuk in order to come home with dry clothes.

i never had a problem last year, they even picked me up from jomtien :Whistle:

Don't recognise this at all. Sure you got the right hotel? I live in Bangkok and have always stayed at the PBR on my frequent visits to Pattaya. Apart from the occasional noise problem I've never experienced any of the problems you raise. Did you speak to Kim the owner? The staff have always been great.

I would say however that if some twattish British "lads" were "horsing" around the pool during the day I'd be glaring with the other mongerers (sic). I'm sure the hotels in Benidorm and Ibiza are fine for that sort of thing...

Yup definately the right hotel. Kim wasn't round when we were there but tbh we were just glad to get away. Since coming back I've noticed quite a few negative reviews emerging. A lot of money for an average or below average service.

BTW it was myself and my husband, not some young lads messing around, and whats a pool if not for messing around in ;), IMO if they wanted to sleep they should have been in bed :Whistle::Whistle:

dirty stop outs (joke!)

I gotta say, after reading these and some other negative reviews I have switched my reservation. Doesn't seem like the place for me.

In my opinion it is worth the money - I simply don't know a better deal around here. But I have to agree on the Taxi, as it wasn't as good as anounced.

stayed at PBR on my newbie trip October 2007.

overall, the place was good, but there is better value elsewhere. it was fine for the first time in Pats - close to the action and the baht bus loop on 2nd street.

I took a superior room and didn't have any noise problems - enjoyed watching the workers next door smash down the walls by hand of an old guesthouse. the room was spacious, clean, had a safe, plenty of hot water. laundry service was a bit slow. never woke up in time for the breakfast, and was out too much to sit by the pool.

the reception staff was friendly, and I never had any problem bringing BGs back. in fact, the room cleaners joked around about me being alone after those nights I didn't bring a girl back.

the tuk was only occasionally available.

if you have the cash to burn it's fine.

"Fear women - and save your life"

Accra taxi motto

staying there from may 22-june 5

can you take those little shuttles to walking street?

how much do they charge?

You can take the tuktuk to 2nd rode, cross the street, walk to beach road and catch a baht bus to Walking Street.

but really it's easier to forget about the tuktuk and just cut through the new mall and follow the same procedure to get to beach road.

The only time I really used the tuktuk was after partying on soi dianna and soi metro area. I would call the hotel and by the time me and my barfine made the walk to the street, they would be waiting on us.

I stayed at the PBR for about 20 days in November of last year. I e-mailed them ahead of time to arrange pick up at the airport. When I arrived at the airport, no driver was to be seen. Called the hotel and the lady that answered the phone said I didn't confirm the airport pick up service (wasn't true). Said a driver would be there in 30 minutes. That time came and passed, called again and she said the driver was at the airport looking for me already. Another 15 miutes, another call and I got the same response. I told her to call off the driver and I would find my own taxi to the PBR.

I eventually arrived at the hotel and Kim the owner was there to greet me and apologized for the mix up. To make up for the situation, he placed a free 6 pack of Heineken in the fridge of my room (nice gesture).

Previous posters have commented on the other areas of the hotel and room, so I won't go into too much detail.

I was handed a book of breakfast coupons (2 coupons per day). On a few days I woke up before 11 AM and had breafast at the restaurant on the top floor. You are given choices of American or traditional Thai breakfast dishes. The ones I tried were all very good.

Overall, I would say it is a good hotel for the money and I would definitely give them my repeat business.

Guest papalazarou

I booked into a stanard room in the PBR over Christmas and I'm staying there again when I return to Pats in late May. I didn't make time to use the facilities like the gym or pool and I was getting up far too late to sample the breakfast so I'd wonder down the road to the Mall and get a 59b American breakfast in the food market. On the plus side the room was in very good condition being still new and the balcony was large enough but the standard room doesn't have chairs and a table on the balcony as standard although they have promised to put some in my room during my next stay. The wifi worked great and noise from other guests was not a problem - having read some board reports before arriving I was worried about noisy neighbours, especially with it being Xmas. The staff were friendly enough and the door man always got the door for me. The central location was another big plus as it's only a short stroll to the Mall so I never made use of the tuktuk service. The bed was a bit hard but comfortable and I slept well. If you taek into account the facilities and definitely intend to use them and get up in time for breakfast (which I will try and do on my next trip) then this hotel is good value in my opinion.

On the negative side I was let down by their airport pickup. The car never turned up at the airport and when it finally did after I phoned the hotel the driver made me walk up to arrivals! He was a pleasant enough guy and drove carefully but I was perturbed by the condition of the car and especially the cracked windscreen! Another negative point was the in room safe being too small to take my laptop.

Edited by papalazarou

Thank you very much for an excellent review. I am looking into this hotel for my stay in Pattaya.

Good rate for 1month stay and a nice pool, im sure i will try this one.

Yeah, it is...I have just tried to reserve for October...keeping my fingers crossed.

[center][size="3"][url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/21796-getting-to-los-in-one-piece-tips-for-surviving-the-flight/page__p__322708__fromsearch__1&#entry322708"]Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight[/url] [/size][size="3"] [color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Restaurant Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34723-benihanas-brunch-in-royal-garden-plaza/page__p__550523__fromsearch__1&#entry550523"]Benihana's Brunch[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40196-shabushi-restaurant-6th-fl-central-festival/page__p__642739__fromsearch__1&#entry642739"]Shabushi[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40224-central-festival-food-loft/"]Central Food Loft[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56291-rosabieng-restaurant-sukhumvit-soi-11/"]Rosabieng (Bangkok)[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34681-more-bar-and-grill-downstairs-from-the-marriott/page__p__549788__fromsearch__1&#entry549788"]More Bar and Grill[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34680-valentines-day-at-cherrys-on-third/page__p__549786__fromsearch__1&#entry549786"]Cherry's[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56293-bali-hai-sunset/"]Bali-Hai Sunset[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56294-so-who-wants-to-eat-shit/"]Shit[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56315-rogers-italian/page__gopid__879575&#entry879575"]Roger's Italian[/url] [/size][/center][center][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Hotel Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34823-mosaik-apartments-soi-daynight-2/page__p__551879__fromsearch__1&#entry551879"]Mosaik Apartments[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/37964-paragon-place-hotel-pattaya-nua-rd/page__p__605514__fromsearch__1&#entry605514"]Paragon Place[/url] [/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Trip Reports[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34867-a-short-visit-to-koh-chang/page__p__552510__fromsearch__1&#entry552510"]Koh Chang[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38011-khao-yai-national-park/page__p__606162__fromsearch__1&#entry606162"]Khao Yai National Park[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38006-songkran-in-the-village/page__p__606114__fromsearch__1&#entry606114"]Songkran in the Village[/url][/size] [/center]

I am looking forward to my stay next week....

I will comment my experience hear, I also scheduled an airport pickup we will see if they show up...

I will comment my experience hear, I also scheduled an airport pickup we will see if they show up...

Yes they will, but I found my driver only by random, a few steps behind the crowd waiting for the arivals.