IGNORED

iPhone Hackers: Help Needed

Shalashaska

So a few trips ago I brought an iPhone 3GS with me and had it unlocked or jailbroken or whatever by a shop at Tukom. Everything has worked great but I'd like to update to the latest firmware version. The one installed is 4.0.1. I've done a little research but I don't understand the process. It doesn't help that I have no idea what program the shop used to free my phone. Can anyone walk a retard through the update process?

generally if you update them then you have to jailbreak them again. so update and re jailbreak.

don't update your phone to 4.2.1 for the iphone 3. the firmware is designed for iphone 4.

it will slow down your phone badly if you keep it jailbroken. even if you don't re-jailbreak it, it will still make it slower.

Trust me i have a iphone 3 on 4.2.1 and made that mistake. if you don't want to take my word for it search google on the subject.. loads of people having the same problem.

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

Make sure you don't have an iPad baseband on it. If you do, you can only update with custom firmware.

See I have no idea what baseband and all that stuff is. I couldn't use my iPhone in Thailand so I took it to Tukcom and a few hours later I could use my iPhone in Thailand. I didn't personally jailbreak it so I am completely clueless on the process. I searched on google but I see there are a bunch of different methods and programs one can use but without knowing which method the Tukcom shop used I'm lost.

I don't even know if my phone is indeed jailbroken. It may just be unlocked (if I understand correctly, jailbroken and unlocked are not the same thing) so I can use any SIM card. But again, I don't know how to tell.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ - this is a key source of info from guys that do the jailbreaks.

If you are using an unlocked jail broken model get it out of your head that you can ever use the latest firmware. If you have 4.0.1 just enjoy the benefits of installous and cydia.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ - this is a key source of info from guys that do the jailbreaks.

If you are using an unlocked jail broken model get it out of your head that you can ever use the latest firmware. If you have 4.0.1 just enjoy the benefits of installous and cydia.

Hey thanks for the link. If my firmware is as high as I can go right now that's fine and saves me the hassle of trying to figure out how to upgrade. :D There's some newer apps that won't work because my firmware is old but I can live without them.

Can I have my phone unlocked so that I can use a Thai sim but not jailbroken so I can use "regular" firmware? Or do they go hand in hand? I've never used Cydia and don't care to.

As long as your baseband has not been upgraded to a yet uncracked version, you can have your iphone unlocked. Sometimes jailbreak/unlock go hand in hand, i.e. you need the Cydia repository to download the software required for the unlock.

I had an orignial ATT iphone4 unlocked/jailbroken but iOS upgrade with the personal hotspot and the fact they now sell the unlocked iphone 4 in Thailand, I broke down and got an unlocked version.

• 2 weeks later...

check out redmondpie.com its the jailbreakers bible well is to me,its not a good time to do it at the min cus 4.3.5 is the last at my last look and there is not a jailbreak for it yet and i hear there wont be 1 until apple release their next upgrade if u goto the site then add them on facebook they will post on there asap available,being really tech if you have plenty of time to read and learn redmondpie does show you how to upgrade to a specific upgrade so you could choose a higher 1 than you have which can still be jb at the min i think it is 4.3.3 which can be jb'd with redsnow program good luck lol