Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

The Fate of a Brit' Punk Rocker - It's Rotten & Vicious.

Edge

Lifted from Thaivisa :-

Feckless Briton deported from Thailand

From ANDREW DRUMMOND

A British computer engineer, who was left to languish in a Thai jail, naked, emaciated, chained to the bars and close to death after suffering a mental breakdown, was deported to Britain early Saturday.

Richard-Hewitt-portrait.jpg

Richard Hewitt, 49, had been arrested wandering incoherently in the Thai resort of Pattaya last November after falling victim to its offerings of sex, drugs, and alcohol. He said before his departure that he had been asked by British Embassy officials not to talk to the media about his plight.

One of those who found him said it looked like he had been ‘left to die’. But the Foreign Office said he had been afforded full ‘consular assistance’.

On taking up his post as the new Ambassador to Thailand Asif Ahmad announced that more funds were available for Britons in trouble abroad. But that may not include what he described as ‘feckless Brits’. The Embassy has not confirmed Hewitt fitted that category.

But they may have been given false information about his background.

Hewitt, in his punk days a guitarist with 'Isobell Barnett and the Shoplifters' had been chained for two weeks without even being brought to court. What food he had was consumed by other inmates who had also attacked him. But he did not care, as he admitted later, he has long since lost any grasp on reality.

Richard-hewitt-cell-04.jpg

After (but not necessarily as a result of) a furor on expatriate forums in Thailand caused by publication of the pictures of Hewitt on andrew-drummond.com the British Embassy sent its Honorary Consul in Pattaya, Howard Miller, back to the police station.

Richard-Hewitt-cell-03.jpg

But Hewitt had already been saved by a British expatriate charity worker Tracy Cosgrove, of the Melissa Cosgrove Foundation, who had rushed to the police station as soon as she heard the news and had Hewitt washed, dressed, fed and clothed. Hewitt made a recovery within two weeks. He had suffered a mental breakdown after his over-indulgence.

When he recovered it turned out that Hewitt, a graduate in computer engineering from Sheffield University, was well off, having come into an inheritance from his father. The inheritance he admits was part of his problem.

Richard-Hewitt-cell-02.jpg

An unofficial part of his punishment was that he had to survive and support himself for eight months in Thailand in the country’s antiquated legal system on a charge of overstaying his visa. Fortunately he was allowed bail. Two weeks ago he was fined the equivalent of £50 and ordered to be deported.

Of his experience Hewitt said: “All I can remember is dreaming that I was on the train to hell. I remember telling police that I wanted to get off and travel through the land of the dead first. When I got to the hospital I was glad because I thought they had kept their promise. Now I realize Tracy saved my life.”

“The British Embassy has sent me a message through my lawyer not to talk about the case.”

Richard-hewitt-cell-01.jpg

Benny Moafi, who campaigns on behalf of prisoners in Thai jails and who found and took the pictures of Hewitt said: “In my opinion he was being left to die one and certainly would have had he not been taken care of. He was hallucinating when I saw him and - just a skeleton.”

Said Tracey Cosgrove, well known for her charity work in Thailand and Burma: “It’s good to see Richard going home at last to see him mum. But he should have been sent home a long time ago.”

Full story: http://www.andrew-dr...ory.php?sid=424

-- andrew-drummond.com 2011-08-01

Yes, it's a clash of civilisations - kinda thing that makes banshees wail ....

I see there are 2 other threads regarding this, both in Barstool Banter rather than here in the News section, where I did check before posting it.

I'll leave it up for now - up to the Mods if they want to merge or remove or move topics.

It is not until you witness the incompetence and not fit for purpose attitude of the British Foreign Office staff that you grasp what a waste of tax payers money they are. This fellow was not a criminal but was left to rot by embassy officials who ARE PAID to look after the welfare of the likes of this chap, he had not even committed a serious crime, just overstayed his visa. It took a Falang lady to get him the treatment he needed, we should bear that in mind next time we feel like denigrating our women. It took a an expat British charity worker to do what those wankers whose duty it is to tend to cases like this immediately.

I had 2 pals in Phuket during the Tsunami, one was killed and the other hospitalised in Bangkok. I tried to find out what hospital he was in from the Embassy. When I phoned them some jobsworth said that because I was not a relative they could not give me any information. When I told that he was alone in Thailand and could do with seeing a familiar, friendly face my arguments fell on deaf ears.

This is the work of a government who found the money to hire a private jet to fly a terrorist suspect from Guantanamo Bay to London and pay for lawyers to see that his human rights were not violated but will not get off their arses to help a British citizen when he really needs help. We let things go in our country but were enough of us to email, write or phone our MPs something might just get done for the next poor bastard who finds himself in Hewitt's plight.

Yes, it's a clash of civilisations - kinda thing that makes banshees wail ....

I spent many years in the UK pig industry.

Needless to say, a pig farmer caught keeping his animals in those sort of conditions would have been in big trouble and made front page tabloid news.

Am I allowed to say that - maybe not? unsure.gif

This is the work of a government who found the money to hire a private jet to fly a terrorist suspect from Guantanamo Bay to London and pay for lawyers to see that his human rights were not violated but will not get off their arses to help a British citizen when he really needs help. We let things go in our country but were enough of us to email, write or phone our MPs something might just get done for the next poor bastard who finds himself in Hewitt's plight.

Which presumably explains why :-

"He said before his departure that he had been asked by British Embassy officials not to talk to the media about his plight."

Asif Ahmed. WTF happened To Sir Roger Bigglesworth-Smythe. The FCO an equal opportunity employer these days?

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

Asif Ahmed. WTF happened To Sir Roger Bigglesworth-Smythe. The FCO an equal opportunity employer these days?

You read it correctly Ron. Asif Ahmed is our consulate representative now. One day Australia will be privileged to have one with a similar name if your bleeding heart liberals get their way. Be warned!

That cracked me up , maybe the double hyphenation was the beginning of the end

I'm sure they are - as if lol.

Really don't see what relevance the chaps name has?

BARGIRLS CAN FAKE AN ORGASM BUT I CAN FAKE A WHOLE RELATIONSHIP

Really don't see what relevance the chaps name has?

Well I think when you add a hyphen between two names, it joins them together to form one name. :Club_fight1:

We're not here for a long time

Just a good time !