IGNORED

Traveller's cheques best?

bareback

Do you think t-cheques have the best exchange rate? I am bringing a bundle of $100 American Express t-cheques, but I don't know what rate they will get. Bangkok Bank has a site here.. Seems that the exchage rate is 34.13 to US$ currently?

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/We...es/FX+Rates.htm

Where do I find the rate for t-cheques?

I also have a debit atm card that charges $2 per withdrawal but I don't know it's fx rate, offshore or onshore. Do you think t-cheques are better than doing debit card withdrawals?

Thanks.

In the UK ive got a Nationwide debit card, it dont cost anythink to use it and i always take 2 just incase i lose 1.

£1 = about 67bht from cash machines. t- cheques is just toooo much hassel for me

I mentioned this in another thread but i reckon withdrawing cash from the ATM is the best way to get baht because you're getting the internal exchange rate from the bank you withdraw from on the day. You have to make sure your ATM card has a 4 digit PIN and has the 'cirrus' or 'maestro' logo on it to access ATM's o'seas. My bank charges me AU$5 for withdrawing from an o'seas bank so i make sure i take out at least 10,000 baht at a time to keep the fees down.

American Express traveler checks is the best way no doubt.The atm give's you a decent return but then they charge some money transfer fee seperately.They did for me anyway.And never get Visa traveler checks!I brought 5k worth of them 1 year and I was at the mercy of like 2 banks in all of Pattaya that would take them and each time I went to cash them they called in the manager and one of his flunkies and he checked them over and over and called Visa and I had to wait for them to get cleared.I wanted to jump over the counter and wrap his tie around his @#$%$ face and I always held up a long line of people during this fiasco.

American Express Travelers checks worked really well for me... they were accepted everywhere I wanted to change money. The rate was also a little better... when I was there, I was getting 1 Baht more using travelers checks instead of cash. Since I got my travelers checks for free from my bank, it was great.

I also learned that different ATMs have different charges... Don't used the Red ones, for they charge you a lot per transaction.

1bt more for TC's than CASH? Was this with $100.00 bills?

Edited by tonyric

Admin from piatnight.com

1bt more for TC's than CASH? Was this with $100.00 bills?

Yup... I had $100 dollar American Express Travelers Checks I was cashing...

• 1 year later...

hmm before I just bring cash, but that's not very safe I should do traveler's checks..

if you lose the check you are covered? however I read in another thread that they got t check stolen and it was cashed out very quickly and easily in Thailand......still I think t checks is the best way to go?

which locations do you guys go cash out t checks that doesnt' charge fees/? thanks

Edited by ironfist

ok so most of the banks accept traverler's check...how about those little booth that you can exchange on the side of the road? like in beach road or 2nd road can you cash out traverler's check there?

ok so most of the banks accept traverler's check...how about those little booth that you can exchange on the side of the road? like in beach road or 2nd road can you cash out traverler's check there?

YES...they will exchange them also

DONT BROWN IT............CROWN IT..!

travellers cheques give a better rate than cash, i would never rely on just an atm card as this can be easily lost or swallowed up by a machine, also banks can freeze your account when they see withdrawals being Made in Thailand.

I feel comfortable with an ATM card, credit card, and about 50% of my budget in travellers cheques.

• 2 months later...

A word of warning on Amex Travellers Cheques. My friend had £1200 of Amex cheques which were stolen and cashed within 15 minutes of theft. Amex have so far refused any refund, this has been since May 08.

So take good care if you bring travellers cheques, we found out to our cost they do not always refund.

Though TTs give a slightly better exchange rate, the charge for cashing more than offsets the slight gain.

If you get them free from your bank, staying in Thailand, then they're the only way to go. Tough to cash in Cambo and real tough in Nam. In Saigon I had to go to 4 banks before I got one to do the do. That's going to banks recommended by the previous bank. Outside of the LOS they'll nick you a little bit on the exchange rate as well. wj

Edited by wackyjacky

• 2 weeks later...
travellers cheques give a better rate than cash, i would never rely on just an atm card as this can be easily lost or swallowed up by a machine, also banks can freeze your account when they see withdrawals being made in thailand.

I feel comfortable with an ATM card, credit card, and about 50% of my budget in travellers cheques.

yes i agree . bank siam charges 23 bt per check so better to get large denominations. if i use atm card i get dinged bad exchange by my bank and fee for long dist trans. so for less than 1$ on a hundred i'm well ahead. drawback is ihave to make a trip to big c every couple of days however i use it as a shopping hour also for some food and beer for the loom. never had a hassle with american express checks. can't comment on loosing them and how screwed u could be despite their gaurauntees of refund. :Dunno1:

<center><embed src="http://www.ohiok.com/vacation-countdown-clocks/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.ohiok.com/&clickLABEL=Vacation Countdown Clock Generator&flashLABEL=Ohiok.com&skin=http://www.ohiok.com/vacation-countdown-clocks/skins/11.jpg&text=girls%20girls%20girls%20a%20little%0Dgolf%20and%20maybe%20a%20beer%20lol%21%21&untilColor=6724095&textColor=16777215&datesColor=0&year=2010&month=10&day=21&hour=12&minute=50&second=22&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.ohiok.com/">Vacation Countdown Clock Generator</a></small></center>

I prefer to take cash....good, newer $100 bills. The banks DO NOT charge to exchange cash and they give a good rate that fluxuates during the day. If you watch, the rate generally gets better a little later in the morning. Banks also charge to cash traveler's checks so you lose some of your cash that way. The exchange booths on the streets charge for everything so you lose there. Most all ATM cards charge a fee...mine is 2% of the amount withdrawn figured on the US amount after conversion. If you notify your bank you are going to LOS and to not that then you should not have any problem with your ATM card. My wife has my ATM card in LOS and uses it weekly or more when I transfer money for her to take out and I have never had a problem with her getting money out unless it is due to the exchange rate.

So if you are comfortable with taking cash, that's the only way to go. It is the only "free" way to go. I forgot to look where you are from, but if from the US, make sure the bank gives you bills as new as possible as the banks will NOT take worn $100 bills. They just give them back to you and only take the nice ones.