IGNORED

Need help with this

mowerman

My TGF refers to her friend as 'to much Yak Yak' anybody have a clue what this means? I don't think it is the same as in English were it refers to someone who talks to much.

Seems you're right...

"

Yak Yak

Welcome to Yak Yak, My Thailand Treasures Blog. People have asked me why do you call it Yak Yak. In Thailand if someone thinks you talk to much they will say "You Yak to much". I just thought it would be a good name for a place where we can yak yak about anything you want. Just click on the link below. We can talk about anything Thai. If your traveling to Thailand and there is anything that I can help you with, we will be glad to. If you would like to post any comments about the site, we would appreciate it. Thanks again!

"

From http://www.mythailandtreasures.com/yak.html

My TGF refers to her friend as 'to much Yak Yak' anybody have a clue what this means? I don't think it is the same as in English were it refers to someone who talks to much.

I seems to me that it does mean talk but with slight negative connotations. My girl will speak of spending an hour or two talk with friends, but when she's not in a particularly social frame of mind the same friends will yak yak too mutt. The term may have a particular appeal as it is similar to yaak which has a meaning of wanting to and as it is said twice that adds emphasis to it, like maak maak, so it could also (and this is pure speculation and fanciful thinking) suggest a lot of demanding talk. Dunno

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

In my experience it does mean talk too much, but also often can be argue or yelling too much as well.

Hope this helps.

Peace,

TM

In my experience when Thais have used this phrase, it means telling off, ie scolding

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

Your GF was speaking to you in English, not Thai. In this case it does not mean difficult.

Your GF was speaking to you in English, not Thai. In this case it does not mean difficult.

mmm, think I'll let her do the Language learning, Thai is to hard for me I reckon.

My TGF has known a friend of hers for something over a dozen years.

My GF answered a question of mine truthfully. This got back to the friend.

(Long Story) Anyhow, my GF told me that her (now ex friend) called her up and Yak Yak her,

and now they are not friends.

So, as far as I can tell, it means 'Give someone shit', or bitch and complain.

Definitely not a normal conversation, or even idle gossip.

I've heard Thais use yak yak to mean talking too much. There's also yark meaning difficult, so there's a possibility your GF is calling her friend difficult.

Yak also means to spread as in yak kar = spread the legs, but I think that's not the meaning here.

I have heard it used in two instances as in "you yak yak too much" meaning you are talking to much and i do not understand all you're saying.

"you yak yak too much" as in shut the fuck up I'm sick of listening

or as BM Loong said "he/she yak yak me" as in someone has given her a telling off.

I think it's a case of having to be there sort of thing maybe, like what tone they use, seems to me the tone used at the time might explain a lot...from what I've read in some of the Lingo sites tone is everything when speaking Thai.

Edited by mowerman

I think it's a case of having to be there sort of thing maybe, like what tone they use, seems to me the tone used at the time might explain a lot...from what I've read in some of the Lingo sites tone is everything when speaking Thai.

You don't seem to quite get it, she is NOT speaking Thai. This is am English phrase that the Thais have adopted, in the same way as "same same"

referring to your first post 'to much Yak Yak'

There are no Thai words in this sentence. She isn't speaking Thai

Yes tone sure is important, get the tone wrong and you're babbling on about something altogether different. Can lead to some funny situations, I remember once trying to order scrambled eggs for breakfast (Kai Khon) and the waitresses were pissing themselves as I was actually ordering male genitals. Fortunately most Thais will suss out what we are saying by the context even if tones and pronunciation are off.

Since I first read this thread there's been a line from a song from about a thousand years ago when I was young "Yakitty Yak and don't come back" Can't remember any more of it, or even whether I liked the song...

But...what do I know?

- Voltaire

Since I first read this thread there's been a line from a song from about a thousand years ago when I was young "Yakitty Yak and don't come back" Can't remember any more of it, or even whether I liked the song...

Yakitty Yak by the black vocal group the Coasters, came out in the late 1950s. Was a huge hit. It's a good song actually, has a great beat to it.

I agree that it means to admonish someone or administer a 'telling off'. I told off my GF the other day for spending 700B on lottery tickets & she said 'tilak. don't yak yak me about lottery'; she uses it in this context all the time.

One of my GF's friends never buys her own food. She just flitters between her friend's homes eating their food. One day the GF had just got off the phone & told me 'Mon & Ice yak yak Nut about she kinaew about food'.

Although saying that, I have heard it used in the context of 'talking for a long time'. I had taken a BG to PBG where she spotted one of her friends. We walked over to her & my BF asked 'OK if we yak yak?'.

It does seem to be a borrowed word with perhaps a modified meaning. The only similar Thai word I know is 'yaak' meaning 'from'.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by El Cata
sgu_banner.gif

The only similar Thai word I know is 'yaak' meaning 'from'.

EDIT: Spelling

อยาก (yaak) to want to

จาก (jaak) from

Interestingly (or not) อยาก is also slang for horny

But...what do I know?

- Voltaire

อยาก (yaak) to want to

จาก (jaak) from

Yes, you're right. :Hit_Self:

sgu_banner.gif

Yes, you're right. :Hit_Self:

Last week in a lesson, I made exactly the same mistake so it is engraved upon my mind

But...what do I know?

- Voltaire

อยาก (yaak) to want to

จาก (jaak) from

Slang for Horny eh? That's interesting because only today I used Yak Yak somewhere in a sentence and my TGF came back with something about 'you want be butterfly'? Of course I calmly said 'no' and kept the conversation moving along.

I take my hat off to people who can fully speak another language. I mean having to learn correct pronunciation and tones etc then throw in slang and words that have been unofficially picked up from other Languages is dead set mind boggling for me. Luckily my TGF English is coming along very nicely so I might be better off just sticking with English, and anyway after 60 years speaking it I'm still flat out getting that right. ;)

Have to agree with Loong: it's not a Thai word, it's copied from English with a little Thai twist on it.

Come to think of it, I've only heard Thais use it when they (try to) speak English, not when they're speaking Thai (just like same same).

Ah well, one more thing I'll have to ask my friend :D

Besides this, wouldn't Yak Yak be written in Thai something like เยกๆ or เย็กๆ ?

To me it doesn't sound like อยาก "yaak" at all.

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

Have to agree with Loong: it's not a Thai word, it's copied from English with a little Thai twist on it.

Come to think of it, I've only heard Thais use it when they (try to) speak English, not when they're speaking Thai (just like same same).

Ah well, one more thing I'll have to ask my friend :D

Besides this, wouldn't Yak Yak be written in Thai something like เยกๆ or เย็กๆ ?

To me it doesn't sound like อยาก "yaak" at all.

No it's not yaak. We got down a little side track there saying the only Thai word we could think of that was remotely like it. (not that that says much as I am still a beginner) Trying to prove the point that yak yak is not Thai but English. Even though it is an English word that is no longer used much in England now. I think your rendering of it in Thai script looks right, but saying that it looks like I'm pretending to know much more than I do

But...what do I know?

- Voltaire

Just to add to the examples. Got a text from the lady today asking me to call her, sounded very urgent. So I fired up Skype and rang her. It was something world shatteringly important and urgent. "I buy new shirt (dress) in market today for meet you at airport next week. It beautiful, everyone will look and say beautiful" After the Why you laugh? bit we have a bit of a natter and I can hear a raised older female voice in the background but can't make out who or what. Then I get the explanation "Must go now, my mum yak yak me too much I make food"

That must settle the matter!

Edited by OleKingCole

But...what do I know?

- Voltaire

Yak Yak in Thai is the same in english as to nag or moan at somebody

TeeRak i not yak yak you

Basically means darling i am not getting on at you