IGNORED

motor bike taxi accidents etc does travel ins cover it .

jaochoo

I have booked for a september trip to Pattaya, yippee! just gotta get some T/ins sorted, examined a few, plenty of ifs and buts in policies, I was interested to know of the experiences of people who have had an accident while on a moto bike taxi

and survived, If you get to a hospital do they demand to see your ins details before looking at you, I suppose you should carry some evidence of being insured at all times and your pass port,

Personally I will only use moto taxi if I am really tired and off the baht bus route early hours which means I am pissed and its too far to walk, had a close call turning right one morn nearly totalled by a 4x4, moto driver thought it was funny.

Those plastic helmets are better than nothing I suppose but not much good, I mean would you tell the insurance you had been on a bike, are they insured I doubt it, do the police want money for a report to give the insurance if they get involved.

I noticed a bike with no fckin treads on the tyres once, its a pity really as its a fun way to get around if you felt safe.

Its bad enough trying to cross the roads, I watched this school kid teenager in Pattaya, crossing the busy sukumvit road well away from lights and I was nearly sick as he weaved his way across the lanes between cars and a coach, and an old lady waited for about 20 mins before very brief gap to be able to hobble across.

Bangkok intersections are a nightmare to cross if youve had a few, you may be able to time your dash with four wheels comein at you but it the fucking motor bikes under taking on the blind side thatll get you, there is never a boy scout when you need one.

Thanks for looking, hope to learn something from this.

I don't have the definitive answer and perhaps there isn't one.

I believe some policies exclude motorcycle travel, which would include being a passenger.

Assume, as you have intimated, that no taxi guys are insured and that they do drink, some bikes will have defects, hospitals will need to be sure they will get paid and will probably want your card rather than a promise and that the BiB will probably want paying for paperwork - I was once 'fined' 500 Baht simply for being in an accident.

Other than that all is good. unsure.gif

I don't have the definitive answer and perhaps there isn't one.

I believe some policies exclude motorcycle travel, which would include being a passenger.

Assume, as you have intimated, that no taxi guys are insured and that they do drink, some bikes will have defects, hospitals will need to be sure they will get paid and will probably want your card rather than a promise and that the BiB will probably want paying for paperwork - I was once 'fined' 500 Baht simply for being in an accident.

Other than that all is good. unsure.gif

Thanks for that , I was just gonna log off its 02.15 in morn in uk, lol its totally mental getting a fine for being in the accident, but have been told before they say if you hadnt been there then no accident thai logic! I wonder if airport Taxis etc are insured, dont want to think about being in a pile up on the motorway, still coming though.

I rent motorbike when there, I get travel insurance and an international drivers licence. Because I read on this board that if you don't have the IDL the insurance co can refuse your claim. As far as hospitals go they are usually

happy with a credit card with enough room left on it. Never had to use insurance don't know how that works.

I rent motorbike when there, I get travel insurance and an international drivers licence. Because I read on this board that if you don't have the IDL the insurance co can refuse your claim.

Riding/Driving a motorbike yourself is a different issue which you've noticed is often covered on PA.

I presume you mean that you hope your travel insurance will cover you for your own injuries in the case of an accident.

I doubt that many will cover the claims from third parties, which are often more significant.

You are right to get a International Driving Permit(?) to go with your home DL as that is the law, though you may not be asked for it.

There is no substitute for a Thai DL for regulars.

Insurance is a can of worms and I can only suggest that you read the fine print in your policy carefully if you are concerned.

Many/most hire bikes are not insured at all.

I can tell with 99% certainty that all "buy and throwaway" polices purchased as travel insurance do not cover any accident related to being on a motorbike.

Driver or passenger, licence or no licence makes zero difference-its hidden in all the polocies small print.

I used to work for what is now Axa Insurance (previously Equity and Law) and they like all the rest decline cover automatically.

You must inform in writing/email that you intend to ride/pillion on a bike at some point.

You may well find the premium is actually unchanged (as risk low-remember most policies are "worldwide" and all the lunatics are in Thailand)

Whatever you do (if at all possible) state anything rather than saying you were on a bike (easier said than done sometimes)

One exception known to me is Bupa cover.

Whatever you do (if at all possible) state anything rather than saying you were on a bike (easier said than done sometimes)

Overall, probably spot on and the advice quoted may be your best hope.

So just get thinking in advance what mishap you're going to say was the cause of your ankles, elbows and knees being destroyed - carpet burns perhaps? rolleyes.gif

:Hello: When I got my last yearly holiday insurance it was with insure and go, I asked if I was insured for motorbike taxis he sad he had never been asked that before so he would find out & he told me I was insured for motorbike taxis but not for motorbike on my own. :001_Thank_You5:

:Hello: When I got my last yearly holiday insurance it was with insure and go, I asked if I was insured for motorbike taxis he sad he had never been asked that before so he would find out & he told me I was insured for motorbike taxis but not for motorbike on my own. :001_Thank_You5:

Yes insured right up to the point you're asked to provide back in farangland to substantiate claim.

Name of Taxi Driver

Full details of Motor cycle driven.

Full registration details of Motor Cycle.

Certificate of liability insurance for Driver to carry passengers

Details of previous accidents

How long registered as Taxi Driver

With which employer/if self employed copy of accounts

I could go on with around 10 other requirements that you'd need to provide.

You're uninsured-period.

iff your australian you get alliance insurance online covers everything,just get international licience from rac store $25

As my old insurance salesman used to say "You'll never really know if you're insured m'boy, until you make the claim". Circle_Sharks.gif

Yes Just as I thought Chivas, the devil is in the details, probably would have to fudge the issue if possible saying it was a hit and run I cant remember anything more just know a motorbike was around somewhere :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the input so far.

Yes Just as I thought Chivas, the devil is in the details, probably would have to fudge the issue if possible saying it was a hit and run I cant remember anything more just know a motorbike was around somewhere :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the input so far.

Yes I wasn't playing devils advocate or trying to be clever.

Having worked in insurance I KNOW what obstacles are placed in front of a claimant but sadly in most cases this is done to weed out the bogus claims at outset-the sort of requirements I listed deter 75% of bogus claimants from the start and they drop the claim.

If everyone played insurance by the book no one would have to go through the rigmorale.

Edited by chivas