IGNORED

ATMs and US account access in Pat

Nomad

I'm trying to get a handle on how I'm going to access my US account from Pattaya. My bank (WaMu) uses Mastercard, which according to the MC ATM finder doesn't have an ATM on Pat. I'm assuming this is BS, but wanted to verify if anyone had problems using Mastercard debit cards in Pat.

Also, it's apparent that I'll be getting popped by my bank for the exchange rate in unfriendly, non-reacharound sorta ways. This displeases me, and I'd like to know if anyone knows of either a US bank or an international bank that won't bean me every time I try to access my funds from Thailand.

Would it be better to simply transfer a sizable chunk of money (enough to last for several months) to a Thai bank? Is there another option? Anyone know how I can move my USD into Euros, since the USD appears to be about as popular as plague rats lately?

So many questions, so much ignorance (on my end)....

N

Why not ask your bank, they may an answer or take Travelers cheques in Dollars, you'll get a better exchange rate out there.

Cheers,

DIRTY

Click Here To Help Pattaya Orphans

jizzflicker "I just wanna fill a wheel barrow up with jizz and tip it all over her head, while her sister spanks her with a dildo"

Bryan "What Colours your Dog"

LaaMok "I was bored once and had time to waste. i decided to try and unload without touching myself or rubbing, i think about 4 hours later, the yogurt truck crashed."

I mainly use my bank card these days, but if you take your mastercard and passport to an exchange office, you can withdraw straight out of the card, then just transfer some money from your bank account to your mastercard over the internet.

I just take American Express Travellers Checks. I got a better exchange rate in Thailand. I'll take a couple hundred or so in cash and some left over Baht from my previous trip. Every couple days (sometimes every day) I would go somewhere like the TMB in Royal Garden mal to get more funds. My credit cards (both Visa and MasterCard) charge too much to pull cash from (interest, service fees, foreign exchage fees,...) and there is no way in hell I'll take a debit card with me.

You should have ZERO problems using a MC ATM card (WaMu account) in Pattaya.

I frequently use Wachovia and Fidelity debit cards, for withdrawals, with no problems.

The only caution is let your bank know you're traveling overseas--and using your debit card. Otherwise they might 'freeze' the account thinking their is fraud going on.

My bank (WaMu) uses Mastercard, which according to the MC ATM finder doesn't have an ATM on Pat.

N

Don't worry - you're going to be switching banks pretty soon - WaMu is either going belly up or will be bought out by a legitimate financial institution. :)

Seriously, why don't you get a prepaid debit card for your trips to Patts. Netspend has a fairly good card, and lots of reload points throughout the U.S. I use it as my emergency back up.

netspend prepaid debit card

P.S. You can also get a brokerage account with E*Trade. No ATM fees for any withdrawal and currently 34,000 THB/day daily withdrawal limit. Only $500 minimum balance. You can apply online. E*Trade was a bank before it added brokerage services. They also pay fairly good interest on savings and checking accounts.

E*Trade

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com