IGNORED

Not good news for mongers

ExpatDave

Scientists find first superbug strain of gonorrhea

LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists have found a "superbug" strain of gonorrhea in Japan that is resistant to all recommended antibiotics and say it could transform a once easily treatable infection into a global public health threat.

The new strain of the sexually transmitted disease -- called H041 -- cannot be killed by any currently recommended treatments for gonorrhea, leaving doctors with no other option than to try medicines so far untested against the disease.

Magnus Unemo of the Swedish Reference Laboratory for Pathogenic Neisseria, who discovered the strain with colleagues from Japan in samples from Kyoto, described it as both "alarming" and "predictable."

"Since antibiotics became the standard treatment for gonorrhea in the 1940s, this bacterium has shown a remarkable capacity to develop resistance mechanisms to all drugs introduced to control it," he said.

In a telephone interview Unemo, who will present details of the finding at a conference of the International Society for Sexually Transmitted Disease Research (ISSTDR) in Quebec, Canada on Monday, said the fact that the strain had been found first in Japan also followed an alarming pattern.

"Japan has historically been the place for the first emergence and subsequent global spread of different types of resistance in gonorrhea," he said.

The team's analysis of the strain found it was extremely resistant to all cephalosporin-class antibiotics -- the last remaining drugs still effective in treating gonorrhea.

Gonorrhea is a bacterial sexually transmitted infection and if left untreated can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy and infertility in women.

It is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases in the world and is most prevalent in south and southeast Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. In the United States alone, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the number of cases is estimated at around 700,000 a year.

British scientists said last year that there was a real risk of gonorrhea becoming a superbug -- a bacteria that has mutated and become resistant to multiple classes of antibiotics -- after increasing reports of gonorrhea drug resistance emerged in Hong Kong, China, Australia and other parts of Asia.

Experts say the best way to reduce the risk of even greater resistance developing -- beyond the urgent need to develop effective new drugs -- is to treat gonorrhea with combinations of two or more types of antibiotic at the same time.

This technique is used in the treatment of some other diseases like tuberculosis in an attempt to make it more difficult for the bacteria to learn how to conquer the drugs.

Unemo said however that experience from previous degrees of resistance acquired by gonorrhea suggested this new multi-drug resistant strain could spread around the world within decades.

"Based on the historical data ... resistance has emerged and spread internationally within 10 to 20 years," he said.

Asked whether a class of drugs called carbapenems -- known as the most powerful antibiotics yet devised -- might be a last ditch option for treating this new gonorrhea strain, Unemo said there would first need to be trials to assess their potential.

"Carbapenems have never been used for the treatment of gonorrhea so we cannot interpret the data in any reliable or quality-assured way at the moment," he said.

The World Health Organization estimates there are at least 340 million new cases of curable sexually transmitted infections -- including syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia and trichomoniasis -- every year among people aged 15 to 49.

More reason to keep that jimmie hat on!

Super gonorrhea from the radioactive wasteland of Fukushima!!! It's gone Godzilla on us!!!

:Sick5::WhoSaw1::68::What::Cry3::OMFG: :OMFG: :Insanity::Blur::o :o

But isnt Gonorrhea also spread through blow jobs !

December 17 2011 ....... The day Pattaya will be invaded by THE_GUN

clearly we need to quarantine Japan.

actually, this is disturbing. It could mean the end of the blowjob bar. What's the point of a covered blowjob?

Yes you definitely can get Gonorrhea through BBBJ's. I'd say this is a pretty serious concern though not quite like the big one HIV. It kinda sucks these killer STD's have been around my whole life. I suppose it was worse back when they didn't have a cure for things like syphilis but there would be quite a sexual revolution if they ever cured HIV>

More scaremongering....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Mate im 46 and when i was a young 15-16 yo and just dicovered sex or should i say discovered how to convince the girls to have sex with me , we never really needed to worry about condoms or protection and you were a bit of a freak if you mentioned condoms during a conversation and was serious.

Worse thing you could get was VD and it was cured by the donkey tablets after a week.

Then The Grim Reeper came along HIV-AIDS

December 17 2011 ....... The day Pattaya will be invaded by THE_GUN

We can thank everyone that takes Zithromax etc "for precautionary measures" for this new nuisance. Remember, that making a completely new medicine will take 10-15 years.

Considering the number of BBs, it most likely already is in Patts...now even BBBJ is taking serious risk. :(

The World Health Organization estimates there are at least 340 million new cases of curable sexually transmitted infections -- including syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia and trichomoniasis -- every year among people aged 15 to 49.

That's me OK then, I'm in my 60s.

Condoms are too expensive for us pensioners

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

We can thank everyone that takes Zithromax etc "for precautionary measures" for this new nuisance. Remember, that making a completely new medicine will take 10-15 years.

Considering the number of BBs, it most likely already is in Patts...now even BBBJ is taking serious risk. :(

cures only create the conditions for the next plague anyway. when we find a "cure", we basically create the conditions for the next mutation that is resistant at the same time. damn though, the idea of getting an incurable STD from a blowjob is just too depressing to contemplate. I still say we quarantine Japan. it's for our own good.

When I read this post, I wondered why it seemed like familiar reading. The report that was published by the OP was considered the "its' coming true" report.

Similar reports were done when Australian and CanadianAp doctors detected two cases of gonorrhea that didn't cure after usual treatment ..... in 2010.

April 8, 2010

(has some expanded information missing from the newest article)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36229547/ns/health-sexual_health/t/incurable-gonorrhea-may-be-next-superbug/

Feb 3, 2009

and in Canada

http://www.canadianmedicinenews.com/2009/02/whats-in-news-feb-3-super-gonorrhea-on.html

April 13, 2007

http://tv.ku.edu/news/2007/04/13/Super-gonorrhea-burns-public/

No joke on this - if there was every a reason to cover the Jimmy, this is it. HIV is difficult to catch through oral contact, but Gonorrhea is much easier to catch. The old ploy of taking some Cipro on the way home would not work for this, and even if it were curable, it could take weeks. It is a familiar story because drug resistance for STDs - and Malaria, etc. - has been an ongoing situation for decades, with the health authorities catching up and devising new strategies as certain drugs become ineffective. But for this, it will take time - lots of trial and mostly error - before they sort the right drug. I would imagine they can cure it, but... when?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

:o

This is scary stuff. There are tons of asian working girls that rotate in and out of here all the time. I can't see it taking 10 years to get around.

The other issue is that when all the blood drains from my big head I'll forget all about this. I do love a bbbj! :unsure:

That's me OK then, I'm in my 60s.

Condoms are too expensive for us pensioners

Well, we ain't use 'em in high quantities so believe we come out fairly ever with a 20 something :GoldenSmile1:

No joke on this - if there was every a reason to cover the Jimmy, this is it. HIV is difficult to catch through oral contact, but Gonorrhea is much easier to catch. The old ploy of taking some Cipro on the way home would not work for this, and even if it were curable, it could take weeks. It is a familiar story because drug resistance for STDs - and Malaria, etc. - has been an ongoing situation for decades, with the health authorities catching up and devising new strategies as certain drugs become ineffective. But for this, it will take time - lots of trial and mostly error - before they sort the right drug. I would imagine they can cure it, but... when?

Yes this is serious, the H041 is probably already in Pattaya and the cure probably won't be out for awhile. was planning my next trip but I think I will just go to Phuket and no mongering at all. This is not good wonder how long it will take them to have the cure.

Before we become too alarmed, consider that the full, formal report on H041 hasn't been published. The news comes from an announcement at a scientific conference.

News reports have included overstatement and speculation by reporters who have no scientific or medical background. "Incurable" gonorrhea is an example of the hype. It's just not succeptible to the drugs/protocols presently used. The limited data available suggests that it can be cured by much higher doses of cephalosporin than currently used. That would probably mean 2-4 weeks of intravenous antibiotics, a huge inconvenience, but not a life of disease. And the carbapenem class of antibiotics hasn't been tested on it, but will probably work.

H041 just might be in Thailand already. It was isolated from the throat of a "sex worker" in Japan. Many of their sex workers are from Thailand, China, and other Asian countries. I just hope that the infected worker didn't serve her apprenticeship at Lolita's.

I think that many of us will want to follow this story as more scientific information becomes available. We need more facts for each of us to decide how to respond to this news.

Veni, vidi, futui. I came, I saw, I f**ked.

Just wait until the super bugs can chew their way through condoms.

On the serious side, if this was such a world problem, I'm sure this forum

wouldn't be the the first place to hear of it.

I'm still relying on the Ron Jeremy method of rinse, shake then piss after all "risky" activity.

Gonnas can be spread anywhere there are bodily fluids - obviously the dick, pussy & ass are prime places to catch GC. But also the throat and eyes. There have been reported cases of babies born to mothers with GC and the babies had it in their eyes. The throat is very common obviously.

Yesterday's "Independent" newspaper reports:

The Japanese woman was eventually cured after two courses of a powerful antibiotic, cetriaxone, although it was not clear whether she recovered spontaneously or whether the antibiotic had some effect.

I notice the same wording is used at this site:

http://health-nutrition-fitness.net/health-news-and-facts/drug-resistant-std-prompts-global-warning/

This was likely found in Japan because... they are looking. And have the technology and access to sex workers to do controlled studies. The sex market in Japan is highly regulated, and workers compliant. Many places test the girls, and so a diligent researcher would get access to subjects to test. But if it is in Japan, it is all over Asia by now. Which raises an interesting question. There must be some mongers in Pattaya who would have dealt with this by now if it was pervasive. It would send a ripple throughout the industry if there were an incurable bug going around. Or are people out and back to their home countries before it presents with symptoms?

Archived