IGNORED

I'm considering moving the family to Patts

nudes_of_asia

Hello All,

I currently live in The Philippines and I'm at the point where I'm thinking it's time for a change.

I'm an Australian citizen and have a two year old son who is also an Aussie. My wife is Filipina.

I wont have any visa issues because I fly back to Australia every month for work, but if I relocate my wife and son there how will they go? I've read about the ED visa option, but can I sign my son up for that being only two? Though he will be three by the time we'd get there.

What happened after my wife does her 1 year of language training? Does she have to leave?

Thanks

Your wife is entitled to get an ED visa for learning Thai if she gets all papers sorted out by a licensed school recognised by the Education Department and your son will also be entitled to stay as long as your Wife's ED Visa subsists. If your wife does study Thai within the rules and regulations of the Education Department, she should have no problem in getting another ED Visa for the 2nd year or even one more year until your son reaches the age of studying primary school. By that time, your son will be entitled to an ED Visa for his full time education and then your wife will be allowed to stay with him as his guardian. I have to say that I really can't say for sure if the nursery school lessons will satisfy the requirements for an ED Visa. Personally, I think the answer is yes. I hope to see some members who have actual experience share the same with you. Good luck !

Your wife is entitled to get an ED visa for learning Thai if she gets all papers sorted out by a licensed school recognised by the Education Department and your son will also be entitled to stay as long as your Wife's ED Visa subsists. If your wife does study Thai within the rules and regulations of the Education Department, she should have no problem in getting another ED Visa for the 2nd year or even one more year until your son reaches the age of studying primary school. By that time, your son will be entitled to an ED Visa for his full time education and then your wife will be allowed to stay with him as his guardian. I have to say that I really can't say for sure if the nursery school lessons will satisfy the requirements for an ED Visa. Personally, I think the answer is yes. I hope to see some members who have actual experience share the same with you. Good luck !

Thanks for taking the time to reply superconsult.. I was hoping to get some more information here, but I guess most members are tired of the same old questions.

Cheers,

Wouldn't life just be easier to remain in the PIs? Your wife and kid will become foreigners in Thailand and have to deal with all this visa bullshit. And believe me Thais are not particulary friendly people towards outsiders, they tolerate us because we bring dosh in. But I'm talked to several Filipinas I've worked with at schools and they all have bad tales to tell about Thais and their racist attitudes.

Also you'll be going back to Oz every month but your wife will be remaining alone in Thailand, in a foreign country, the people speaking a language she won't understand. I would image your wife will be much happier waiting for you in the PIs where she's at home and among her own people.

Something to think about.

Thanks for taking the time to reply superconsult.. I was hoping to get some more information here, but I guess most members are tired of the same old questions.

Cheers,

no disrespect, but why would you move your family to a shithole like Pattaya, plenty of other places in Thailand that are much nicer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I currently live in The Philippines and I'm at the point where I'm thinking it's time for a change.

I'm an Australian citizen and have a two year old son who is also an Aussie. My wife is Filipina.

I wont have any visa issues because I fly back to Australia every month for work, but if I relocate my wife and son there how will they go? I've read about the ED visa option, but can I sign my son up for that being only two? Though he will be three by the time we'd get there.

What happened after my wife does her 1 year of language training? Does she have to leave?

Thanks

Hi mate, i am on an ed visa,a lady in my class is filipina,two children,5 and 7 i think,her husband is danish,her husband flys in/out of patts for work,they moved because they wanted to try a new cheap country so thailand was the choice.She has an ed visa,and her kids go to school,but because they are under 18,they don't need a visa and can attend school if they want too or be home schooled,she confirmed this with me today.The ed visa can be rolled over year to year

Edited by cairns8

Hi mate, i am on an ed visa,a lady in my class is filipina,two children,5 and 7 i think,her husband is danish,her husband flys in/out of patts for work,they moved because they wanted to try a new cheap country so thailand was the choice.She has an ed visa,and her kids go to school,but because they are under 18,they don't need a visa and can attend school if they want too or be home schooled,she confirmed this with me today.The ed visa can be rolled over year to year

Don't want to be a party-pooper but ed visas have come under the microscope recently and the days could be numbered. There appears to be a global tightening up and closing of loopholes with various Thai visas. The non-imm O to remain in Thailand with your Thai GF/de facto have disappered recently. And the authorities are currently looking hard at the ed visa situation. Expect some changes soon. I wouldn't go banking on them rolled over year to year for much longer.

"And believe me Thais are not particulary friendly people towards outsiders, they tolerate us because we bring dosh in." (from Pubstud)

This is really disrespectful. Take a poll and see how many % of people will agree with you. I think you are currently living in Thailand. If you don't like Thailand, why you stay here ? It's a shame.

The Immigration is cracking down on ED visa against someone who didn't really spend any time in learning Thai. As quoted, the farang whose ED visa was revoked because he couldn't even understand "Small/Big" "Fish" in Thai after he has got more than 5 years (as I remember).

I am sure your wife is desirous of knowing a lot about Thai language by attending the Thai language course regularly. If so, why would there be a problem ?

no disrespect, but why would you move your family to a shithole like Pattaya, plenty of other places in Thailand that are much nicer.

Maybe he has ulterior motives.

Maybe he has ulterior motives.

• 1 month later...

"And believe me Thais are not particulary friendly people towards outsiders, they tolerate us because we bring dosh in." (from Pubstud)

This is really disrespectful. Take a poll and see how many % of people will agree with you. I think you are currently living in Thailand. If you don't like Thailand, why you stay here ? It's a shame.

The Immigration is cracking down on ED visa against someone who didn't really spend any time in learning Thai. As quoted, the farang whose ED visa was revoked because he couldn't even understand "Small/Big" "Fish" in Thai after he has got more than 5 years (as I remember).

I am sure your wife is desirous of knowing a lot about Thai language by attending the Thai language course regularly. If so, why would there be a problem ?

I sort of agree with Pubstud's statement.

I have the 5 times the entrance fee for foreigners, the former double fee for bath bus etc in mind. I hear them yell "fat" and "bald" when I walk down the street sometimes and they smile doing it. If we whites behaved the same way they do it would be called racist. Some of the threads on this forum are nothing but warnings to visitors/punters of Thailand, that speaks for itself.

I do not say everybody behaves like this but a big portion.

I would not bring any family to live in Thailand.

I don't live there, nor do I want to after getting to know them after spending some time there.