IGNORED

Insects

I' ve some of them,locust, silkworm lavre, stick incect but its the smell of the cooking oil that put me off, it always smells burnt and rancid.

All the old hands will know this already but some of the newer guys may not know that maeng da is the slang word Thais use for a pimp. Apparantly the male maeng da gets onto the back of the females and lives off her. So Thais refer to pimps and guys who live off women in general as a "maeng da"

Near where I live in Isaan there are some bug breeding farms they are kept in controlled areas so as not to let flies & ants get in with them. Some locals catch various bugs by leaving a fluorescent tube on outside at night over a large container filled with water in the morning they collect the bugs from the water, usually hundreds.

There is a tv advert in the UK for HSBC which features this system.The scene switches to the market vendor

selling crickets on a skewer to a mother and child.The little girl seems unimpressed with the idea untill they are

sprinkled with hundreds and thousands....a la ice cream ! It's actually set in Cambodia but I haven't seen garnish

such as that in either country.

I don't mind the occasional bag of grasshoppers but have NO interest in cockroaches.Big fried spiders are popular in

the Cambodian countryside.I bought some at the rest stop on the way to Siem Reap for my lady friend to eat on the bus.

I just couldn't face it.Like some people have said before,I think the horrible black oil they're cooked in puts me off.

Pringles are readilly available !

There is a tv advert in the UK for HSBC which features this system.The scene switches to the market vendor

selling crickets on a skewer to a mother and child.The little girl seems unimpressed with the idea untill they are

sprinkled with hundreds and thousands....a la ice cream ! It's actually set in Cambodia but I haven't seen garnish

such as that in either country.

I don't mind the occasional bag of grasshoppers but have NO interest in cockroaches.Big fried spiders are popular in

the Cambodian countryside.I bought some at the rest stop on the way to Siem Reap for my lady friend to eat on the bus.

I just couldn't face it.Like some people have said before,I think the horrible black oil they're cooked in puts me off.

Pringles are readilly available !

The thought of eating a spider sends me spinning into the horrors. I don't think I could stand for my GF to eat one either. I'd have serious trouble kissing her again. I got a real thing about spiders.

The thought of eating a spider sends me spinning into the horrors. I don't think I could stand for my GF to eat one either. I'd have serious trouble kissing her again. I got a real thing about spiders.

There was quite a gap between spider munching and tonsil hockey...that's for sure !

Anyone tried duck embryos ? Available in Cambodia and probably neighbouring countries

and certainly very popular in The Philippines...called balut.Can't face it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Awsome vid,

Man those uncooked crab and prawns wow, does she not know how to make fire?

Deffinitely the Queen OF BUGS

Just got of the phone with my TGF who,s living up in Loei,

Said someone came to her home today selling some bugs that looked like bees(mabey wasps like the Queen was eating)

1 minute after eating them she felt itchy all over,and started swelling up,some sort of illergic reaction i guess.

thanks for sharing

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/165739-5-days-in-issarn-udon-thani-loei-chiang-khan-mekong-pictorial-report/

You can take the monger out of the bar but you can never take the bar out of the monger

I had arranged to meet my TG & take her out to the Ruen Thai restaurant, one of the best thai restaurants in Pattaya. So TG arrives at my room with a bag of deep fried frogs. 'Why did you buy those?' I asked. 'I hungry, want eat now' she answered.

She brought the bag along to the restaurant & continued to snack on them, even though there were dishes of delicious Thai food on the table! You can take a girl out of Issan but you can't take Issan out of the girl.

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity... Are you able to bring back bags of these bugs home to the uk?

If so how long will they last/stay fresh for?

Tar

Posted Image

Just out of curiosity... Are you able to bring back bags of these bugs home to the uk?

If so how long will they last/stay fresh for?

Tar

lol you will never eat them nipper i bet you a beer hahahaha

lol you will never eat them nipper i bet you a beer hahahaha

your on! ...Have the beer ready then yea, make it a singha please :D

Posted Image

I have never had the balls to try them. I guess a lot of others on the forums have. Maybe I'll give it a go next trip. One of the girls there told me that one of the delicacies are "baby bees". I believe she probably means bee larvae. She said they taste sweet since they are fed on honey....I guess it makes sense.