IGNORED

Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff

How do you like it?

One of the most unforgettable things in Thailand has gotta be the spicy food. I love it but I have had some personal embarrassment when ordering a “Spicy Thai Salad” and was unable to eat it. It was so hot that I had to swap with my TG who ordered a Tofu dish…Imagine a real man reduced to eating tofu. The Gay waiter my TG and a few other dinners thought it was hilarious as I sculled beers and cocktails…

So how hot is hot when you order chillies?

Chillies are measured using a scale called the Scoville Scale. The scale is actually a measure of the concentration of the chemical compound capsaicin, which is the active component that produces the heat sensation for humans.

The most commonly used chilli pepper in Thailand is the Prig kee nu, also known as the (Mouse Shit Chillies ) which scores more than 70,000 Scoville heat units. So don't look down on little things; there is much spiciness and liveliness concentrated in small, unsuspecting packages. Beware of these tiny mice for they can reduce a big and burley meat-and-potatoes man to nothing but a pool of tears. Their hotness, however, is not the only quality that has endeared them to the Thai people: they have a distinctive fragrant taste that spicy food enthusiasts grow to love.

Jalapeno peppers are 8,000 SHU so for the tough guys who eat these at dinner parties it is about 10% of the little Thai chillies

The hottest is the naga jokolia from India which is 1,000,000 SHU.

Believe it or not the hottest chilli in the world was grown in an Australian University study. The fiery Trinidad Scorpion Butch T registers 1,463,700 Scoville heat units. It was so hot that they had to wear gloves to handle it and breathing masks when they cooked with it.

scorpion-chilli.jpg

Spicy Food can keep you cool

Yes well I thought that this was BS too but spicy food makes you sweat and the evaporating sweat then has a cooling effect on your body, this may be a temporary fix but in the long term eating spicy Thai food is a good choice of food to eat to beat the heat, it helps to keep you cool by thinning the blood and improving circulation. As well as causing sweating, this heat also opens up your sinuses and encourages the flow of mucous which is good if you happen to be suffering with a cold or flu.

Spicy Food Tips

If you eat something to spicy for you and your mouth is burning, try drinking milk, milk neutralizes the capsaicin and gives some relief. Other things which may help put out the fire are cheese, banana, citrus fruits such as lemon and lime or a sugar and water solution.

Always be sure to wash your hands after you have been preparing or handling spicy foods, especially chillies, the capsaicin can also cause burning on sensitive areas of skin and the eyes. Trust me Wash your hands before taking a piss if you have been chopping chillies.. Hindsight is a great thing but experience teaches you more.

Spicy Food Facts

• There are over 400 varieties of chilli

• The average Thai person eats more chilli than any other nationality

• Capsaicin is the ingredient which makes chillies hot

• The heat of a chilli is measured in Scoville Heat Units

• The hottest commercial chilli in the world is the Naga Jolokia from India, measuring over 1,000,000 Scoville units

Indian woman Anadita Dutta Tamuly ate 51 Naga Jolokia chillies to claim the World chilli eating record in April 2009

5thai-chili-pepper.jpg

Information from various web sites including Pattaya Unlimited and Thai food and travel

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Interesting post thanks for that. I have tried naga jokolia chillis bafore and can confirm they are like LAVA!!

I find chocolate combats the heat quite well as does milk like you said , the fat content lines the mouth and helps with SOME of the heat

Posted Image

I have always liked spicy food, that is until i went to thailand. The thais idea of spicy is far removed from mine,on a trip to udon thani i found out what hot really is. I made the mistake of telling my hosts i liked spicy. It was like eating napalm and battery acid, as i was coughing and spluttering my face went numb, and prayed that death would come soon. Now when asked you like spicy nit noi.

Ying phet ko ying dee! (The hotter the better) for me. Well within reason. I never used to eat spicy food before I visited Thailand. On my first trip I was on a train from Bangkok to Surat Thani and I ordered a salad not realising what Thai salads are like. The waiters were nudging each other and laughing as I sweated through it but stubborn pride made me finish. Afterwards I realised that I had got a strange kick out of it so I started ordering hot food from then on.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Nice post.

I love my food hot and can stomach all the hot/spicy Thai food.

Thai food in England is bland in comparison and hot delicious cheap Thai food is a huge added bonus. Almost as good a reason as going for the ladies......almost!

I love hot food but don't claim to be able to handle it... I know for a fact I will most probably not be able to Handel the hotness of Thai food in Thailand but I am very willing to try any dish when I am there in October

Posted Image

Nice post.

I love my food hot and can stomach all the hot/spicy Thai food.

Thai food in England is bland in comparison and hot delicious cheap Thai food is a huge added bonus. Almost as good a reason as going for the ladies......almost!

I agree to this also , as well as the girls and culture the food is a major draw for me

Posted Image

I agree to this also , as well as the girls and culture the food is a major draw for me

Best part of it all is that you can early always combine all three things. The girls just love to eat their spicy food... I just wish I could keep up with them..LOL

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Lol what's it like to get a blow job off a girl who's just eat tho? Bell end ov fire!??

Posted Image

Lol what's it like to get a blow job off a girl who's just eat tho? Bell end ov fire!??

Don't know about the pain but coating it in chocolate or ice-cream is supposed to work so the blow job will last longer and the girls like it too

Voltaire

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You do get accustomed to the hot, spicy chillis. I was in Pattaya May, June and July this year. At first I could only eat very mild dishes but at the end was eating some quite spicy food and enjoying it.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I might share a dish I made for Xmas lunch.... I used green mangos instead of green papaya and cut down to two chillies because I am a coward. Tasted great.

green-papaya-salad.jpg

Spicy Green Papaya Salad (som tum or som tam) is a popular dish from the North Eastern part of Thailand (the largely rural Isanregion) that combines spicy, sour and sweet flavors to make a classic dish. It is often served alongside barbecue or grilled chicken and a portion of sticky rice.

Green Papaya Salad is a mainstay of Thailand's hawker fare (marketplace and street food) and can be bought in any typical Thai town. This recipe is from well-known Thai cookbook author, Kasma Loha-unchit and reproduced here with the kind permission of Kasma.

Ingredients

• 8-12 Thai chillies (bird peppers), each cut into 3-4 segments
  • 8 cloves garlic, peeled and cut each into 2-3 pieces
  • 2 Tbs. small dried shrimp
  • 4 cups julienned peeled unripe green papaya - in strips 2-3 inches long and 1/8 inch thick
  • 1 cup cut long beans - 1 1/2-inch-long segments
  • 1 julienned carrot (optional)
  • 1/4 cup tamarind juice the thickness of fruit concentrate
  • Juice of 2-3 limes, to taste
  • 2-3 Tbs. fish sauce, to taste
  • 2-3 Tbs. palm sugar, melted with 1 Tbs. water into a thick syrup - use as needed
  • 2 small tomatoes, cut into bite-size wedges; or 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts

Preparation

Prepare the ingredients as indicated. Make tamarind juice by starting with 1 Tbs. of compressed tamarind in 1/3 cup of warm water. Work the tamarind with your fingers to dissolve the soft fruit; gather up remaining undissolved pulp, squeeze to extract juice and discard. Add more tamarind or water as necessary to make 1/4 cup of concentrate.

Divide the ingredients into two batches and make each batch as follows. Using a large clay mortar with a wooden pestle, pound the garlic and chillies to a paste. Add the dried shrimp and long beans and pound to bruise. Follow with the green papaya and carrot. Stir well with a spoon and pound to bruise the vegetables so that they absorb the heat and flavor of the chillies and garlic.

Add the tamarind and lime juice, fish sauce and palm sugar. Stir and pound a bit more to blend the vegetables with the flavorings and seasonings. Taste and adjust flavors to the desired hot-sour-sweet-and-salty combination. Then add the tomato pieces, stir and bruise lightly to blend in with the rest of the salad. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with peanuts. Serves 6-8.

Notes and Pointers:

Green papaya has a very mild, almost bland, taste, but it is the medium through which robust flavor ingredients take body and form. It picks up the hot, sour, sweet and salty flavors, giving them a unique crisp and chewy texture unlike that of any other vegetable. When made into salad, you wouldn't know that it was mild and timid; you remember it only as bold and spicy.

8500000275_t.jpgUnripe papayas are readily available in various sizes and shapes during the summer at many Asian markets and here online at the Temple of Thai grocery. Select one that is very firm with shiny green peel suggesting that it is as freshly picked as possible. Even green fruits will eventually ripen and turn soft if allowed to sit around for some time.

There are many ways to make green papaya salads, with varying degrees of hotness, sourness and sweetness. The hottest salads are probably made in northeastern Thailand and Laos where they are eaten with barbecued chicken and sticky rice as a staple food of the populace. There the salads are made by bruising julienned green papaya with garlic and very hot bird peppers in a large clay mortar with a wooden pestle, then seasoning with lime juice,fish sauce and other flavorings.

Voltaire

Great recipe Andy.. will try it this weekend as a New Year gift for me 'cause I ain't going to be in Patts till Feb.

I love hot & spicy food. I find now that with advancing years I need to slow up a bit. Not on the heat but how much I eat. I used to keep going till my guts was sore from being so full...

Chilli has always made me sweat for some reason, no matter if it is mild or scorching I always have rivulets running down my temples 5555 and my face goes red too.

Well I'm goin on 60, I'm older than most. Won't be long now and all I'll be is a ghost

Before coming to Thailand I always saw myself as someone who could eat spicy food. I have no trouble eating the hottest food in India, but the food in Thailand still blows me away.

Even after spending a year in Thailand I still struggle with anything more than "ped nid noi".

Got romantic once after handling peppers. Big mistake.