IGNORED

USA to BKK

TxTraveler

I haven't been back to Thailand in over three years due to the economy and being laid off from work for a year.

So this January 2012 I'll be able to afford a two week trip back to Pattaya after three years.

I've been to Thailand seventeen times and I've stayed a few 30 days trips as well.

My question that I have for anyone that can give me some advice is; What is the best flight from Texas to Bangkok in January?

I've only flew from the states one time and I had to to go from Houston to Detroit to Narita then BKK.

Since it's going to be right in the middle of winter in the northern US I am wondering will it be better to fly to the west coast then to BKK?

Can someone suggest a particular airline that they have used previously that had a reasonable cost and flight schedule?

Thank you in advance!

Enjoy the Life!

You don't indicate which city you can/are willing to fly out of. I can speak about Dallas/Fort Worth. Korean Air has direct flights to Seoul and is usually hundreds less than taking American or Japan Air direct to Japan. With either choice, you only have one stop. You can also take a flight to LAX and take Thai Air's direct flight to Bangkok, but that usually runs higher too.

Since you're looking for cost as well as reliability, I think Korean Air would be the best for you from DFW. A big plus of the 1 stop flight is that total travel time is between 18-21 hours which isn't bad from the middle of the US.

Edited by texasskibum

Emirates from Houston is worth looking at and so is Qatar. Not sure about the connections in Dubai or Doha though. Both first class airlines though.

For an interesting side trip, you can fly out of LAX on Phillipine Air and maybe take a few days in Manila as a layover stop. Again, I don't know about the connections.

Continental has a Non-stop IAH to Tokyo that gets you well on your way.

Do me a favor, stop at Goode & Co for some carry out.

You don't indicate which city you can/are willing to fly out of. I can speak about Dallas/Fort Worth. Korean Air has direct flights to Seoul and is usually hundreds less than taking American or Japan Air direct to Japan. With either choice, you only have one stop. You can also take a flight to LAX and take Thai Air's direct flight to Bangkok, but that usually runs higher too.

Since you're looking for cost as well as reliability, I think Korean Air would be the best for you from DFW. A big plus of the 1 stop flight is that total travel time is between 18-21 hours which isn't bad from the middle of the US.

Texasskibum,,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out Korean Airlines.

I am in Houston so getting to Dallas is not a problem.

I just don't want to fly north in dead winter and risk flight cancellation etc.

Thanks again!

Emirates from Houston is worth looking at and so is Qatar. Not sure about the connections in Dubai or Doha though. Both first class airlines though.

For an interesting side trip, you can fly out of LAX on Phillipine Air and maybe take a few days in Manila as a layover stop. Again, I don't know about the connections.

Continental has a Non-stop IAH to Tokyo that gets you well on your way.

Do me a favor, stop at Goode & Co for some carry out.

Yes Emirates has a direct flight from IAH to DBX but then I've got to connect to BKK which I think will be longer total but will check it out.

I'll check on Qatar and Continental as well. I didn't know that Continental had a direct flight to Tokyo.

I do not have time for a couple of days in Manila, wish I did because I know a few girls there, but I don't.

Thanks a bunch for the information!!!

Yes Emirates has a direct flight from IAH to DBX but then I've got to connect to BKK which I think will be longer total but will check it out.

I'll check on Qatar and Continental as well. I didn't know that Continental had a direct flight to Tokyo.

I do not have time for a couple of days in Manila, wish I did because I know a few girls there, but I don't.

Thanks a bunch for the information!!!

You are within an hour or so of being 1/2 way around the world. It is a little shorter distance going west but it really depends on the connections and the number of stops. Don't know if Continental still has that flight but a friend of mine was the pilot on that run a few years ago.

I can tell you that the IAH-DBX flight is a bitch, 16.5 hours in the air.

What you want to avoid is a lot of North-South stuff, like going via Frankfurt or having to fly up to Seattle. There is other weirdness too, like the United flight goes out of LAX but returns via SFO. No idea why.

Just looked at the schedules, looks like the continental flight is out and Qatar is the best schedule but not liking the 6 hour layover on the return. Most of these trips is over 36 hours though. Yuck!!

Don't forget the BBQ!

Edited by CJ-PAF

Singapore has a flight out of Houston but it goes to Moscow then to Singapore then Bangkok.

I have no idea why it goes to Moscow and that's the last place I want to land in January.

I will just have to look around at all options to find the quickest, cheapest and most convient flight then decide.

Thanks for your input.

Oh about the BBQ, I am burned out on it at the moment. Cooked two briskets, baby back ribs, sausage and beans over the holiday.

Texas BBQ is the best!

Regards!

I found the best and fastest route is the 10:45am flight from Houston to Narita on Continental, a two hour layover in Tokyo, then a 6.5 hour flight to Bangkok on ANA. Less than 24 hours in all. Great service on Continental.

I fly DC to Bangkok direct, 15-16 hours on ANA....Korean Air is generally cheaper but the alliance with ANA allows for better skymiles and I now have enough to upgrade on a regular basis to business class. Buy in advance and you should be able to get one for around 1400-1700. I've had as expensive as 2 grand and as cheap as a grand, but depends on a lot of things.

Then, it's a two to three hour layover in Narita and 6 hours to Bangkok. Fastest way to go and a decent flight.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I work for the Night Wish group and The Pattaya News in Pattaya, Thailand. I run monthly meetups and bar crawls.. I also run the weekly Newbie Wednesday meetup sessions at Sexy in the City on Soi 6. Sexy in the City is located across from Queen Victoria Inn. 

After reviewing multiple airlines I did find that the Continental flight will probably be the best.

This flight has the best total flying time from Houston and it's just a little bit more.

Thanks for your imput, I appreciate it very much!

Regards!

It seems at least some of your suggestions have you going the long way.

I would fly to LAX, fly to Taipei or Honk Kong or Japan and then to BKK. Thai Air is one stop at LAX.

From SFO I leave at 12:05 AM and arrive BKK +1 day at 11:20 AM. I think both China Air and EVA do that.

I am sure from LAX there are similar options.

From SFO to TPE is 14 hours or so and a short layover of maybe 3 hours and a 3 and a half hour flight to BKK.

If flying east, factor in all the layover/carrie changes as well. Perhaps it is the same but when I looked into tickets on airlines from SFO going that direction, it added up to much more than a 3 hour flight to Dallas and a layover, etc

edit: I just looked at two flights

Lufthansa to Frankfurt to BKK = 33 hours 45 minutes.

Thai Air to LAX to BKK = 22 hours 55 minutes.

Just a couple of examples. The longer you fly the more it will cost I imagine.

Eva out of LAX is very good right now. I'm looking for January 2012 flights and EVA is by far the cheapest. I also like Korean Air, they offer a couple inches more leg room.

Cheers

I booked a flight for $960, taxes and fees included out of San Francisco, for September 1st. China Airlines, no frills but they get you there.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

I fly DC to Bangkok direct, 15-16 hours on ANA....

I don't even see a DC to BKK direct flight anywhere. Is this a seasonal type flight only certain times of the year?

Eh, I mistyped but the rest of the post makes sense, it's direct to Narita and then to Bangkok. Used to be a direct from NY and one of the longest in the world flights but they killed it as it was not making money.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I work for the Night Wish group and The Pattaya News in Pattaya, Thailand. I run monthly meetups and bar crawls.. I also run the weekly Newbie Wednesday meetup sessions at Sexy in the City on Soi 6. Sexy in the City is located across from Queen Victoria Inn. 

Lots of good info here so far, to add my own $.02 I have found http://www.vayama.com to consistently have the lowest prices for the flights I shop for (SFO or LAX to BKK) Usually even lower than buying direct from the airline.

http://www.farecompare.com/ is also useful, the flexible dates option can show you when cheap/pricey times to fly are.

Coming from Texas I would probably find a discount domestic flight to LAX and then a non-us based carrier to BKK. Never again will I fly a US carrier international, they are all terrible IME. I have flown with China Air mostly (not Air China) and have been happy.

Edited by furryman

• 5 weeks later...

I would have to agree that Korean Air or Asiana is the way to go. They have alot more legroom than the US based airlines in coach, being 6'2 this is a huge advantage on my 2 China trips per year.

I fly DC to Bangkok direct, 15-16 hours on ANA....Korean Air is generally cheaper but the alliance with ANA allows for better skymiles and I now have enough to upgrade on a regular basis to business class. Buy in advance and you should be able to get one for around 1400-1700. I've had as expensive as 2 grand and as cheap as a grand, but depends on a lot of things.

Then, it's a two to three hour layover in Narita and 6 hours to Bangkok. Fastest way to go and a decent flight.

I fly DC to Bangkok direct, 15-16 hours on ANA ??????? This is meant to say DC to Tokyo direct yes ???????

:001_Thank_You5:

I fly with Korean Air from NYC. I checked many airlines out but at the end Korean air was the best option for me.

Here's what you do. Sign up for the Citi AA Amex & Visa. 75K miles bonus on both. You'll get the miles when you spend $1500 on one and $4k on the other. 140K miles gets you 1st Class on Cathay (or JAL if you want). The 1st Class pods on CX are amazing and take up 6 windows ! Not to mention the caviar and the Krug. AA will get you to SFO or LAX (also in 1st). Read post #2 & you'll figure it out. Use this link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1110784-american-airlines-citi-citibank-card-75k-sign-up-bonus-read-post-2-first.html I've gotten 500K miles from AA churning these cards and I always fly in 1st. Chock Dee: wj

I fly DC to Bangkok direct, 15-16 hours on ANA ??????? This is meant to say DC to Tokyo direct yes ???????

:001_Thank_You5:

Probably not , from Wiki

"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point. The stop over may either be to get new passengers (or allow some to disembark) or a mere technical stop over (i.e. for refuelling purposes only). These are often confused with non-stop flights, which are direct flights involving no intermediate stops. When there is a change in flight number, the subsequent flight is referred to as a connecting flight."

To the OP , check out Hipmunk.com , it's a great site for comparing total flight times

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...