IGNORED

Suits - Can you get a decent one in Thailand?

pvarjak

If I go, I may try and get one.

Afraid of ending up with one like this...

vlcsnap-2011-07-01-20h53m24s77.png

Not sure it is worth it these days, suits in the High St are not that expensive these days, also if you use TMLewin or Charles Tywritt online they do good deals. But if you do want one in Thailand, don't go for the cheapest material or lining, seen many guys walking around in shiny suits after trips to Far East, easy to tell

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

Not sure it is worth it these days, suits in the High St are not that expensive these days, also if you use TMLewin or Charles Tywritt online they do good deals. But if you do want one in Thailand, don't go for the cheapest material or lining, seen many guys walking around in shiny suits after trips to Far East, easy to tell

Excellent tailor in soi 13/4, owned by Thai, as apposed to Indian.

Excellent tailor in soi 13/4, owned by Thai, as apposed to Indian.

I can't answer.

I believe the seamstress gets 500 baht for the suit - tops, and all tailors sort of take it to one place.

Most shops dont have evidence of THEM making it directly. Do they start ripping the fabric in front of your eyes?

They do in Vietnam.

I got my stuff made in Vietnam, but they are getting expensive and sloppy like striped pockets not aligning. . I have Indian and Bangladesh mates and they do it better and cheaper in these countries.

For absolute quality can't beat buying the fabric in New York and taking it to HK to be made up. 9/10 Tailor shops in HK are too expensive, but there are exceptions.

I went to one of the streets behind Tukcom and found a Thai tailor a few days ago. I am getting a suit made now. I don't know much about suits, but the material looks good and he is making it at his shop. He is also making a shirt to go with it. 4k all in, I thought that sounded ok so I didn't haggle. I talked to a couple of them on that street but he was the first one who spoke 'some' English so I went with him. To be clear, it's a shop he works in - not a store - but he has some material samples so I'm obviously not the first tourist to go there.

if you want a really good suit Made in Thailand - proper bespoke suit but for less - Rajawongse in bangkok is top notch.

They make suits for mp's, ambassadors etc and George Bush!

They're based just around the corner from Nana Plaza so it's an excuse for a Bkk trip :GoldenSmile1:

http://www.dress-for-success.com/

• 4 weeks later...

As they do not advertise price - it wont exactly be the cheapest putting it mildly. Who you actually get is another unknown.

I am sure the places in Singapore will do a better deal, but they are double the price of .vn

Thai on plane told me 'old generation tailors' are no more, and personal contacts hard to find etc.

If you knew how to match the weave so it 'falls' or how many panels, it is amazingly simple to make a suit that looks good,

but after a bit of wear and one wash puckers up and looks lest good than something out of the USA like sears.

Many Bogan.com.au will say their suits are 'fine' to match their best T shirts.

I like Vietnam has they have 'knock off' fabric nearly as good, and the old school skills are still about.

so said there are still good deals off some Indians - but I dont like those risks.

I was also driven to James fashion in Bangkok in one of those dodgy tuk-tuk rides to various places (was aware of it beforehand and figured, cheap sightseeing :) ). It did feel like a tourist trap, especially when the salesman started saying various phrases in swedish to impress me or something. Glad now that I did not order anything and will tell my dad to throw away their card which he kept for future visit.

I'd have to go with a good advice when it comes to chosing a tailor for us somewhat clueless tourists, pick one that has set up shop inside a 5-star wellknown hotel. The hotel does not want a bad reputation so a dodgy shop will not stay long inside their area.

One individuals freedom ends where another individuals freedom begins.

• 1 month later...

can anyone put down prices they paid for suits, shirts, and pants? and what materials were used