IGNORED

Emirates, Extra leg room - any chance?

Chief General

Anybody had any luck with getting extra leg room on any flights?

I rang up and got told I have been reserved for the bulkhead seats but this was via Expedia > Emirates - somehow I don't think this will pan out.

Just looked on Emirates site and read only business/1st class can do the 24hr before check in online thing and reserve seats.

I know children & adults have exit seats

I don't mind paying extra

Any advice appreciated,

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

I wouldn't go with the "Bulkhead " seats , you can't stretch out your legs, exit seats are best if you're very tall, phone call to the airline usually works, check their website for aircraft seat plans and you will see why bulkhead seats aren't very good , also some bulkhead seats have a bassinet for travellers with babies, you don't want that on a long flight

Just looked on Emirates site and read only business/1st class can do the 24hr before check in online thing and reserve seats.

Join Emirates SKYWARDS loyalty scheme and you can choose your seat beforehand and do the 24hr check in online.

A friend of mine had a great scam for getting good seats - years ago he had a knee reconstruction following a motorcycle racing accident and was given a lifgrweight carbon fibre knee brace to keep his knee immobilised. The brace is very light and takes up almost no room in his luggage.

Upon arrivi ng at an airport he puts on the brace and checks in ... he tells them at check in that he needs an aisle seat so he can keep his leg straight, of course thay say that he can't have his leg sticking out i the aisle and either give him an exit row seat at no extra charge, or upgrade him to business.

Join Emirates SKYWARDS loyalty scheme and you can choose your seat beforehand and do the 24hr check in online.

Yeah I read about this, but this is my first time flying with them, you need to have clocked 50,000 miles with them to upgrade to 'gold' for this

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

A friend of mine had a great scam for getting good seats - years ago he had a knee reconstruction following a motorcycle racing accident and was given a lifgrweight carbon fibre knee brace to keep his knee immobilised. The brace is very light and takes up almost no room in his luggage.

Upon arrivi ng at an airport he puts on the brace and checks in ... he tells them at check in that he needs an aisle seat so he can keep his leg straight, of course thay say that he can't have his leg sticking out i the aisle and either give him an exit row seat at no extra charge, or upgrade him to business.

Pretty clever idea, maybe worth a try. Whats the worst that could happen? They say 'no' and you just have to take your assigned seat.

How does he get past the physical requirements needed to sit in an exit row?

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

Yeah I read about this, but this is my first time flying with them, you need to have clocked 50,000 miles with them to upgrade to 'gold' for this

I have never been a Gold member, attained Silver for a couple of years, now just normal Blue member - I have benefits as previously described.

http://www.emirates.com/english/Skywards/journey_management_tools/journey_management.aspx

No doubt this works but technically there is a clause in the Emirates conditions of carriage that your friend may be foul of.

Emirates aim of course is to have 100% capacity on every single flight that they operate so they deliberately oversell each flight if they can. When this happens they look at the frequent fliers to upgrade to make space in economy (comp up) they would look at the gold card holders first with the most miles then silver, then blue. I guess it's still worth a try though.... If you don't ask you don't get.

One thing that they do look at when upgrading is what you are wearing, they are more likely to upgrade someone looking smart than someone looking scruffy, they are sitting you next to people that have paid a lot of money for their ticket.

It is possible for the check in clerks to block out seats next to your seat if the flight is quiet, happened to me a while back when I happened to be flying on my birthday.

I've flown emirates twice and was upgraded to business class on the first flight.

I had just joined the skywards scheme, but hadn't flown, however I was first in line at checkin and got an upgrade at the boarding gate.

Edited by TGluvver

• 1 month later...

I've flown emirates twice and was upgraded to business class on the first flight.

I had just joined the skywards scheme, but hadn't flown, however I was first in line at checkin and got an upgrade at the boarding gate.

did you ask if you could be upgraded or did they just do it??

the reason i ask is i have just booked a flight on emirates to bkk

thanks

Posted Image

did you ask if you could be upgraded or did they just do it??

the reason i ask is i have just booked a flight on emirates to bkk

thanks

Nah, didn't ask, but I was first in line at checkin, plus a skywards member, I assume as the flight was over booked in economy they bumperd a few business passengers to first and the lucky few that checked in first were bumped into business.

I am booked with flying out on emirates and from what I have roughly read and been told ile b flying out on there new aircraft which had extra leg room in economy. I didnt ask for any particular seats as its the 1st time flying with them and as I have to stop over and change at dubai I didnt think it would b a issue as it isnt hauling my for the nonstop trip.. Should I b looking at trying to upgrade or specify a perticular seat on plane..