Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Getting started with Thai

Scand

Many ordinary Thais have a very limited knowledge of English, and I think that learning some basic Thai words and phrases, together with the numbers, can be quite helpful in everyday situations. One way to do this is to pick up a Thai phrase book at a local bookstore, for example D.K. Books on soi Post Office. Most bookstores also have a selection of dictionaries and more advanced language books.

If you have a android cellphone, maybe this app can be useful, and its free

Learn thai

Edited by Ben Dover

Ben Dover (You`re Next)

If you have a android cellphone, maybe this app can be useful, and its free

Learn thai

Have a similar app on my HTC which i paid a couple of £££, has come in handy.

Also i have this book which has some useful phrases in and can be a laugh with a BG when back in your room..

http://www.buythaibooks.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=141&category_id=23&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

I swear by Its4thai.com. First few lessons are free,others are cheap and it's great. I constantly get people telling me how good my Thai and accent is and is helping me be conversational...however, you have to put the time into it.

I also use Learn Thai and Language Hostess, both good for refreshers on break at work on my android phone. Language Hostess has hot Thai women :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I work for the Night Wish group and The Pattaya News in Pattaya, Thailand. I run monthly meetups and bar crawls.. I also run the weekly Newbie Wednesday meetup sessions at Sexy in the City on Soi 6. Sexy in the City is located across from Queen Victoria Inn. 

Some years ago I used an earlier edition of this Lonely Planet Thai phrase book, which can be ordered from Amazon.com and other sources:

lp_thai.jpg

Another small book that should be mentioned here is Robertson's Practical English-Thai Dictionary, which can be helpful to both tourists and beginning language students. This is also available from Amazon and other suppliers.

robertson.jpg

Iphone app Talking Thai-English-Thai Dictionary by paiboon is an AWESOME app. you can download it in full (i.e. it uses no data so you don't need to be connected to a plan or wifi), and it speaks in the language.

All i know who have it think it's the best thing ever. I'm buying it. It's $30 at the app store

I swear by Its4thai.com. First few lessons are free,others are cheap and it's great. I constantly get people telling me how good my Thai and accent is and is helping me be conversational...however, you have to put the time into it.

I also use Learn Thai and Language Hostess, both good for refreshers on break at work on my android phone. Language Hostess has hot Thai women :)

not to burst any bubbles here but... if thai people are always telling you how "gheng" you speak thai language dont believe it. thais tell you that you speak well because you can say khop khun khrap. trust me most of the time they are just being polite.

A further book that could be helpful is Conversational Thai in 7 Days (with 2 cd:s) by David Smyth & Somsong Buasai:

conv_thai.jpg

Edited by Scand

• 3 weeks later...

Thai-Beginners-Benjawan-Poomsan-Becker

Excellent book with CD for every day Thai time, days and numbers ect